What to do with Miles contract?

You fire him or extend him.   No more playing just the tip.   It's an either/or proposition at this point, not a maybe.   

Need to extend him.  I don't think he gets us over the hump, but we can't just sit here and do nothing.   Have to extend him.  Can't go 3 years in a row without an extension,  especially coming off the 3rd best regular season in school history without doing it.   If you don't do it, you may as well take out a billboard saying you are going to fire Miles next year.  Recruiting would be non-existent.  

No reason to extend....

in in my opinion, the length of contract has no bearing on recruiting....because kids see guys fired after two years with 5 years left.

unless you think mikes will be hired away and you want to prevent that.....no reason to extend.

agents have been blowing smoke up ADs asses for too long....

39 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

No reason to extend....

in in my opinion, the length of contract has no bearing on recruiting....because kids see guys fired after two years with 5 years left.

unless you think mikes will be hired away and you want to prevent that.....no reason to extend.

Been stated by several people who would know that it has already had an impact.   Recruiting is about relationships whether people want to admit it or not.   And when the optics paint a very clear picture of a pending coaching change in a year....no too many top flight prospects are going to be signing up for that mess.   Thats a huge negative recruiting tool to be used against us.   And we already have enough of those going against us without us stoking the fire.

Edited by nustudent

It's pretty easy, you have to extend him. Let's look at the choice.

Fire.  What coach in their right mind is coming here?  "Hey, you know what winning the most conference games in school history,  gets you?  A pink slip."

No extension. Kind of along the same lines. No coach is going to work for an AD, who doesn't take care of coaches. Plus, it hurts recruiting.

Extension. I say make it 4 years remaining.  IIRC, he is down to 1 or 2 years left.  Make it another 2 years.  Sure, you may need to let him go next year, but it looks better from the outside.  You can attract better coaches if needed.

If Moos is as good as we think he is, then he already has a target to replace Miles, if he's going to do it. For all the conspiracy theorists: Maybe Thad Matta turned down Georgia because he received feelers from Moos?

I'll say this: Miles' overall record, his record against Creighton and his entire coaching history offer nothing to suggest that he will ever produce a consistent winner here. The only reason to extend is to hope that he can put together a big season next year with the returning players and that's the best we can do: an NCAA bid every 5 years or so. I think we can do better, but I love this fan base and if the majority is happy with keeping him, then I'm fine with it.

7 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

For some it doesn't. What about the kids that tell the staff they're out of the running because it's volatile? 

I lean toward extending him and hope he is able to learn and grow.

It comes down to competing, one day, one game at a time and coaching in a way that gives your team the best chance to win. IMO, Miles' politicking for his team before Selection Sunday really did a number on his team's psyche. I hope he learns from it - you have to manage to the right expectations and stay off the emotional roller-coaster as much as possible. He sent these kids way up and left it in the hands of 2 different selection committees to bring it crashing down. Control what you can control and leave the rest for others to worry about.

Let 2015 be his guide and find a way to get Palmer some help. Again, my opinion, but if you look at JPJ's last 5 games, he has struggled. Might be due to the long season, but to me, he has more on film and can be neutralized in some ways by good coaches with the right personnel.

Ill: 5-14, 1-6

Ind: 6-12, 1-3

PSU: 5-12, 0-3

Mich: 3-9, 1-3

Miss St: 5-15, 0-5

I think Palmer can be a great piece of the puzzle, but he can't be the solution going into next year (see TP, 2015).

Good season overall, but a really sour ending. Let's hope 2018-19 will be what we all believe it could be! GBR

17 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

If Moos is as good as we think he is, then he already has a target to replace Miles, if he's going to do it. For all the conspiracy theorists: Maybe Thad Matta turned down Georgia because he received feelers from Moos?

I'll say this: Miles' overall record, his record against Creighton and his entire coaching history offer nothing to suggest that he will ever produce a consistent winner here. The only reason to extend is to hope that he can put together a big season next year with the returning players and that's the best we can do: an NCAA bid every 5 years or so. I think we can do better, but I love this fan base and if the majority is happy with keeping him, then I'm fine with it.

+1

Moos likely already has multiple coaches in mind in the case where he has to go another direction or Miles leaves.  I'd imagine Moos is going to extend Miles but it will have no bearing on Miles seat getting any cooler.  He is still squarely on the hot seat as if the bulk of the roster returns next year and he doesn't make the big dance I would be shocked if he's not fired.  Likewise, if we lose some key contributors and we finish near the bottom of the Big Ten he is gone IMO.   

7 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

No reason to extend....

It's one thing to think you don't have to be 4-5 years out on a contract to recruit.   It's another to think not extending for 3 straight years would't have an effect on recruiting, on assistants sticking around, on the whole program.   Not extending him here, for the 3rd straight year, would be an absolutely clear signal to the world  that he's not your guy, and no one can operate successfully in that situation.   No, after 2 straight years of not extending him, you either move on or you give him a chance by extending at least 2 more years. 

Edited by HB