uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 10, epilogue - NIT @ Mississippi State

uneblinstu

• They got off to a sluggish start, which may have been expected. 
  • The second quarter was better, but struggled to sustain anything. 
  • Mississippi St. has an effective post player, which we struggle with, and lo and behold, we did. 
  • The zone seemed to be effective. And considering MSU isn’t much of a 3pt shooting team, that makes sense. 
  • Really strong start to the second half by Roby. 
  • Really gonna have to get better at the 5. Either Jordy needs to get better or they need to find a new option. I think he’s talented, but he has a lot of work to do. 
  • Palmer just blows by people he looks like he shouldn’t have any business streaming past. 
  • Every time they’d claw back into it, they’d give it right up...
  • Perimeter defense really lacking. 
  • Felt like Palmer kicked out too much. 
  • Soooooooooo many 3s...
  • this game was so frustrating on so many levels. No reason why we shouldn’t have won this thing by 8-10. 
  • This was a great season, on so many levels, but to see it end this way, is really disappointing. 
Edited by uneblinstu

left a lot of points on the floor, but our energy was too low to win a road game against a middling SEC team. 

we played nearly the same game we played against Michigan. 

Hopefully e get most everyone coming back and get better over the offseason, because the conference will be tougher next season. 

Just now, HuskerActuary said:

I mean, no surprise there, and we shouldn't feel bad about that. This is pretty objectively the least important game of the season. All of the prior games had larger goals still in front of us.

This.  The Hurricane Relief game and this game had about the same importance.  There wasn't much on the line tonight other than a run in a tournament that no one really cares about.

Miles needs to recruit some guys who can shoot the ball. The modern game is all about space and pace and shooting 3s and driving to the rim. Need shooters do space the floor get easy points and open the paint. 

As for this game:

Copeland played 31 minutes and had 2 rebounds and poor defense. 

Watson. 3-12

Palmer 5-15 (including a meaningless cheapy at end)

Didn’t look like a tourney team tonight in any respect. At some point a program like NU has to earn respect rather than whining about adversity 

Edited by NUdiehard

15 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:
  • They got off to a sluggish start, which may have been expected. Looked like a team that sat for 12 days coming out of the gate
  • The ssxknd quartet was better, but struggled to sustain anything. 
  • Mississippi St. has an effective post player, which we struggle with, and lo and behold, we did. 
  • The zone seemed to be effective. And considering MSU isn’t much of a 3pt shooting team, that makes sense. 
  • Really strong start to the second half by Roby. 
  • Really gonna have to get better at the 5. Either Jordy needs to get better or they need to find a new option. I think he’s talented, but he has a lot of work to do. Agree but he is not alone needing to get better.
  • Palmer just blows by people he looks like he shouldn’t have any business streaming past. 
  • Every time they’d claw back into it, they’d give it right up...
  • Perimeter defense really lacking. 
  • Felt like Palmer kicked out too much. Well he was not making shots either
  • Soooooooooo many 3s...  Agree and most were just ugly, wonder how much the extra distance played a factor.
  • this game was so frustrating on so many levels. No reason why we shouldn’t have won this thing by 8-10. 
  • This was a great season, on so many levels, but to see it end this way, is really disappointing. 
  • I would add in not enough boxing out on defense, way to many second and third chances for them.

2 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

Miles needs to recruit some guys who can shoot the ball. The modern game is all about space and pace and shooting 3s and driving to the rim. Need shooters do space the floor get easy points and open the paint. 

As for this game:

Copeland played 31 minutes and had 2 rebounds and poor defense. 

Watson. 3-12

Palmer 5-15 (including a meaningless cheapy at end)

Didn’t look like a tourney team tonight in any respect. At some point a program like NU has to earn respect rather than whining about adversity 

Agree with a lot.  We need some pure shooters.   Though...I think having a legit 5 makes us a more difficult guard and would create some opportunities to make some of these guys better shooters.  

1 minute ago, HuskerFever said:

Rationalize it how you want, but all the criticism we got the past month and a half was justified. It sucks. We're a better team than this one game; than that Michigan game. But we didn't get the last word in this fight... this year. :unsure:

I hate it too, but its true. 1-3 in our last 4 - and 3 of them were big fat goose eggs. Don't point the finger, point the thumb.

They looked flat, like they were going through the motions.   I wished they would have played with attitude , showing everyone that a mistake was made when they didn’t get in the NCAA tourney.    Overall a great season.   Sad to see it end.   I hope they realize what they could do next year if all the non-seniors return.    I hope Palmer and Copeland realize their stock could rise higher if they come back and make something special happen next year.  

well, I've had a few adult beverages, but man that was as sloppy as you can get.  Glad we did this in this tournament and not the other.

Just lackluster effort, period.  That's on Miles for getting them up and ready, despite the disappointment, and despite the 3 weeks rest.

Next year, I'm on the Tournament or bye bye Tim team.  Tired of watching this.

Have zero desire to watch any other games now, just dejected.  As usual.

My wife said she thought we came out flat tonight and I tried to explained that if you can’t shoot in the beginning of the games I that it’s natural that you “look” flat and that eventually with continued poor shooting you are flat. 

Our team never gives up but shooting in the mid thirty percent from the field pretty much deserves a loss.