Nebraska (22-10) vs. Mississippi State (22-11) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

4 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I guarantee even with how we played tonight that we win by double digits at home.

It's fun to guarantee things that can't be proven. 

I guarantee that if Taylor Martinez hadn't have hurt his ankle against Missouri that he would have won three Heisman Trophies. Guarantee. 

Edited by atskooc

At the end of the day, it has to be about beating people. We had chances, we didn't win. I understand and am frustrated as well, but it really isn't complicated. Limited opportunities, on the road, whatever - you gotta win to earn respect. We didn't do that in the "games that mattered" (and even a couple that didn't).

2 minutes ago, hhcscott said:

I said committee...not Lunardi. It's sports, results matter, not opinion. I love this team, but we did not show up the last two games.

If results truly matters, a team with 22 wins and 10 losses would get in over a team that is 19-15.  The right results to help out your metrics matter.

1 minute ago, demone said:

At the end of the day, it has to be about beating people. We had chances, we didn't win. I understand and am frustrated as well, but it really isn't complicated. Limited opportunities, on the road, whatever - you gotta win to earn respect. We didn't do that in the "games that mattered" (and even a couple that didn't).

Not arguing, but with Nebraska's basketball history, every game is a game that matters, and every victory is one to be celebrated.

Here's to 22 victories!!! (We may not see it again for a long time.)

2 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

I hate to say it but this off-season is critical to the program.  Everyone needs to improve. 

This. I know there has been a lot of speculation of Palmer and/or Copeland leaving, but I just don't see it. Neither is close to the level it takes to play in the NBA. Of course either could take off to play over seas. I don't see that either. I have to believe the goal for both is to try and make the NBA. And if it were me it would be a bitter pill to swallow to give up on my dream and "take the money" and head across the Atlantic when I still had an opportunity left to "prove" myself in college. 

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Still think they were undervalued.  Tell me with a straight face that this was the same team that played the last 4-5 weeks of the season.  Did the really want to be here?  Now I agree with those that say "Still come out and compete," but if they didn't want to be here or play hard, we were going to get beat.  Still undervalued though.

It was the same team, just not the same effort. I can't explain it, but I'm not going to accept disappointment as an excuse.  If you want to have better, do better. We had two tournaments  the big ten and NIT to show the "real Nebraska" and we did not get the job done.

1 minute ago, cornfed24-7 said:

This. I know there has been a lot of speculation of Palmer and/or Copeland leaving, but I just don't see it. Neither is close to the level it takes to play in the NBA. Of course either could take off to play over seas. I don't see that either. I have to believe the goal for both is to try and make the NBA. And if it were me it would be a bitter pill to swallow to give up on my dream and "take the money" and head across the Atlantic when I still had an opportunity left to "prove" myself in college. 

Spot on, I have taken heat for saying this.  Agree with folks that said getting guys in the league will help all things Nebraska but both need to fine tune things.

5 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Not arguing, but with Nebraska's basketball history, every game is a game that matters, and every victory is one to be celebrated.

Here's to 22 victories!!! (We may not see it again for a long time.)

Agree, every game matters. It was a fun season, sour as it is right now. Hope the players take motivation into the off-season. 

7 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

If results truly matters, a team with 22 wins and 10 losses would get in over a team that is 19-15.  The right results to help out your metrics matter.

It’s been said over and over but the committee doesn’t care if you beat mediocre teams for the bulk of your schedule. Hopefully starting next year the schedule works out in our favor and Miles can actually get some good wins on the road or at a neutral site. 

I think tonight provided a clear argument that we’d be no better than 19-15 if we played the same schedules as the teams to which you refer. Metrics are there for a reason. They aren’t perfect, but they help paint a clearer picture than simply comparing 22 wins vs 19. We beat up on mediocre teams and had three or four nice wins at home.

Sad fact is that we aren’t used to seeing good basketball in Lincoln. When we finally got a team that was competent, we held them with high regard in our minds. Looking back, this is an average NIT squad, and I’m afraid it’s the apex for Timmy here. Unfortunately, he bought himself another year. No tournament next year and he better not be back in 2020.

3 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

I think tonight provided a clear argument that we’d be no better than 19-15 if we played the same schedules as the teams to which you refer. Metrics are there for a reason. They aren’t perfect, but they help paint a clearer picture than simply comparing 22 wins vs 19. We beat up on mediocre teams and had three or four nice wins at home.

Sad fact is that we aren’t used to seeing good basketball in Lincoln. When we finally got a team that was competent, we held them with high regard in our minds. Looking back, this is an average NIT squad, and I’m afraid it’s the apex for Timmy here. Unfortunately, he bought himself another year. No tournament next year and he better not be back in 2020.

Fair assessment. But being a doe-eyed optimist, I'm interpreting it to say that if we'd been in those other conferences, we'd be 19-15 and Dancin'. Thanks, Cookie!

Edited by jayschool

3 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

Oh Boy.  Here we go!!  The way the season ended means Tim can’t coach, the team wasn’t very good, Yada Yada.  Should have known this was going to happen.  Welcome to Nebrasketball when things don’t go bad.  We lost two games so that discredits everything we did this year and means we were an average team with an average coach....

1 minute ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

Sad fact is that we aren’t used to seeing good basketball in Lincoln. When we finally got a team that was competent, we held them with high regard in our minds. Looking back, this is an average NIT squad, and I’m afraid it’s the apex for Timmy here.

If we "aren't used to seeing good basketball,"  I find it hard to blame Coach Miles. We keep riding the "next coach"  "next recruits" will be better carousel but the even when the names change we don't get what we want. Just frustrating.

Just now, hskr4life said:

Oh Boy.  Here we go!!  The way the season ended means Tim can’t coach, the team wasn’t very good, Yada Yada.  Should have known this was going to happen.  Welcome to Nebrasketball when things don’t go bad.  We lost two games so that discredits everything we did this year and means we were an average team with an average coach....

I won't say that we were an average team.   Because I don't think we were.   We are/were pretty talented.   But I do think the last two games do show that our record was a product of our schedule as much as it was us being good.   It was a good year.   But I don't think we were quite as good as what we want to think/believe we are.   We were a tough out at home.   But on the road or a neutral site, we were pretty darn bad against decent teams.

By that I meant a typical NIT team. Clearly better than an average team. But yes, I definitely think this is not the March Madness worthy team that you think it is.

4 minutes ago, hhcscott said:

If we "aren't used to seeing good basketball,"  I find it hard to blame Coach Miles. We keep riding the "next coach"  "next recruits" will be better carousel but the even when the names change we don't get what we want. Just frustrating.

We’ve had three crappy coaches in a row. That doesn’t mean we’ll never get a good one.

4 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I won't say that we were an average team.   Because I don't think we were.   We are/were pretty talented.   But I do think the last two games do show that our record was a product of our schedule as much as it was us being good.   It was a good year.   But I don't think we were quite as good as what we want to think/believe we are.   We were a tough out at home.   But on the road or a neutral site, we were pretty darn bad against decent teams.

This exactly. We’ll see if they can take the next step next year. But I have serious doubts because of our lack of size. How many times did a big man have a career game against us over the last couple months? That kid tonight probably dunked on us five times. Unless we start scoring like Villanova, it’s going to continue to be hard to overcome that.

Just now, hhcscott said:

We were a good team. We were a fun team. And doggone people liked us. Now we need to be a dangerous team, an aggressive team, a team with something to prove because everything else aside, we are the only major conference team sitting without an NCAA victory and I'm not getting any younger.

That's where I'm at. Look Coach Miles did a decent job this season, but lets not act like any expectations have been exceeded for the last 6 years. It's been 6 years and we have yet to have a post-season win of any value, not a NCAA win, not a NIT win, not a meaningful B1G tournament win.