2018 Transfer Market

hhcmatt

5 hours ago, MandRHusker said:

There was word of a potential late international post addition but can't remember who hinted at this. It has been over a month ago when it was posted here.

That was me who dropped the word.  The person who told me is reliable, but not always accurate, if that makes sense.  He was pretty convinced something was in the works, similar to the Thor project; but so much time has passed, I will not hold my breath. 

Robin has a roundup worth reading.  In addition to post player looks like PG is also on our wish list.

I just cruised the grad transfer list and it's slim pickings. The name that really stood out was still Kevin Scott who is neither PG nor post player.

11 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

I just cruised the grad transfer list and it's slim pickings.

I think what we have to hope for as fans (the coaches know a lot more than we do, obviously) is that there's some European big man that no one knew about or that someone somehow gets released from an LOI and happens to fall in our laps.  Grad transfers are probably not a fertile source at this point, but a Euro big could still materialize.  I think Brian Diaz came along about this time of year and would have played as a freshman if someone would have checked a different block on his admissions application.  So, unlikely though it is, it could still happen that we get a decent contributor at this late stage.

20 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Is Juco a potential source at this point?  Or is it similar to the grad transfer market in that the ship has basically sailed?  D2 transfer still possible as well right?

We signed Evan Taylor on July 22nd though it is getting pretty late. I think any D2 could transfer here at any time and be immediately eligible.

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

We signed Evan Taylor on July 22nd though it is getting pretty late. I think any D2 could transfer here at any time and be immediately eligible.

Unless its a D2 grad transfer think they still have to sit.   Transfer down is immediately eligible.  Transfers up still have to sit I think

3 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

I would see that as a Juco or grad transfer.  If we offer some rando freshman PG let the Picard facepalms commence

Not sure we why'd want a JUCO or grad transfer PG either.   Why'd we sign Harris then?   It was a big mistake to not go heavy after another big with Jordy, we need it even moreso now.

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

Not sure we why'd want a JUCO or grad transfer PG either.   Why'd we sign Harris then?   It was a big mistake to not go heavy after another big with Jordy, we need it even moreso now.

He knows he has to win now and we need a back up PG. Harris might be good but he is a freshman and T Allen is not a point. If GW goes down or Harris does not catch on right away we could be hurting so I see that a little.

Big is obviously the main need and I would love a JUCO guy for this year and next if they have some game. He mentioned qualified JUCOs so maybe there is a freshman out in the JUCO ranks they are looking at. Not sure how that works if they do not have their two year degree yet though.

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay said:

He knows he has to win now and we need a back up PG. Harris might be good but he is a freshman and T Allen is not a point. If GW goes down or Harris does not catch on right away we could be hurting so I see that a little.

Big is obviously the main need and I would love a JUCO guy for this year and next if they have some game. He mentioned qualified JUCOs so maybe there is a freshman out in the JUCO ranks they are looking at. Not sure how that works if they do not have their two year degree yet though.

If they qualified out if high school, they don’t need their degree

You know you are starved for information when you check in every 4 hours to see whether there is any news about landing a Euro or JUCO 6'9ish transfer who can play post defense, give us 12 minutes, 4 points and 5 rebounds per game. I don't care if the source of the information has zero credibility. This yet unknown player has to be out there somewhere.  Please, please materialize. 

10 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

Think we've been in contact with him? @hhcdimes

No idea though in the unlikely event that this happens to be the guy who fills our 12th scholarship I'll be happy to appear on any radio shows or in any columns that want to write a human interest story about a guy who spent way too much time googling juco dudes over 6'8" who have played in Div 1.

I am somewhat surprised there hasn't been any discussion here referencing the less than cryptic note from Robin/Miles that we passed on a player that Coach Miles thought was little more than window dressing...Here is a possibility that makes me go hmmm; did Jordy request that his brother be brought here to join the team?  And when the coaches stopped laughing, Jordy asks for, and receives his release and now joins that brother in transferring to Dayton?

Just saying...

17 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I am somewhat surprised there hasn't been any discussion here referencing the less than cryptic note from Robin/Miles that we passed on a player that Coach Miles thought was little more than window dressing...Here is a possibility that makes me go hmmm; did Jordy request that his brother be brought here to join the team?  And when the coaches stopped laughing, Jordy asks for, and receives his release and now joins that brother in transferring to Dayton?

Just saying...

17 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Just saying...

Could be but if that is what caused him to leave this time...   shrug

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

Because it didn't seem like a cryptic note nor does it seem likely that adding on a brother from the class of 2019 would suddenly be a point of contention for a guy with his foot out the door since January.  If anything I read that as 'This is the excuse for why we only have 11 scholarships filled'

8 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Just saying...

I thought miles was just saying that we passed on a player because we already had enough big guys.

and was basically saying we would have added that guy if we had known jordy was leaving.

• 2 weeks later...