2018 Transfer Market

hhcmatt

I was under the impression that recruiting would pick up in July.  Now that July is about to become a thing of the past I have heard very little about possible additions to our basketball team.  We have 3 or 4 new football recruits and 3 volleyball recruits but really nothing in basketball.  We have the potential to be a very good team but I believe we lack back ups of quality especially athletic rebounders.  It seems to be getting late to find anybody to back up our big men.  Others have said Roby and Copeland have tendencies to foul and that Heiman should redshirt.  Who is going to replace them when they get into foul trouble or, God forbid, get hurt which happens to almost every team in D1.  Getting another athletic body would help to solve these issues.  I, as all of you, want us to have a great basketball team.  I just turned 80 and have really not seen such a team.  I think finally we have the makings of a very good team if we could only find someone to help Roby, Copeland and Palmer to get a little rest so they do not get worn out in the tough big 10 schedule and go down with injuries.

46 minutes ago, Husker4Life said:

I was under the impression that recruiting would pick up in July.  Now that July is about to become a thing of the past I have heard very little about possible additions to our basketball team.  We have 3 or 4 new football recruits and 3 volleyball recruits but really nothing in basketball.  We have the potential to be a very good team but I believe we lack back ups of quality especially athletic rebounders.  It seems to be getting late to find anybody to back up our big men.  Others have said Roby and Copeland have tendencies to foul and that Heiman should redshirt.  Who is going to replace them when they get into foul trouble or, God forbid, get hurt which happens to almost every team in D1.  Getting another athletic body would help to solve these issues.  I, as all of you, want us to have a great basketball team.  I just turned 80 and have really not seen such a team.  I think finally we have the makings of a very good team if we could only find someone to help Roby, Copeland and Palmer to get a little rest so they do not get worn out in the tough big 10 schedule and go down with injuries.

I think it picked up in terms of evaluation and offers. There was a lot of evaluating and plenty of offers. I think August will determine who visits.  Getting them on campus will be critical. I think the coaches have done a nice job with Arop and have let him know he is a priority. Other than him, we will have to see who comes in on a visit. I am sure they will bring them in for the football games. 

As for this year, Jordy's late decision put them in a pickle, no idea if they  have  a plan to replace him with someone eligible this year. Obviously it is the slimmest of pickings at this point. 

55 minutes ago, REDZONEDAN said:

Jordy shouldn’t have put us in a major bind. Him leaving wasn’t surprising and the coaching staff should have been prepared.

I don’t know any more than you but I would think it was quite a surprise. I assume he made a long term commitment in order to be let back on the team. 

58 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I don’t know any more than you but I would think it was quite a surprise. I assume he made a long term commitment in order to be let back on the team. 

And to add to this, him leaving in April or May would have been less surprising.  Mid-July... yeah that's a surprise to anyone.  Hell, classes start in a month.

48 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

And to add to this, him leaving in April or May would have been less surprising.  Mid-July... yeah that's a surprise to anyone.  Hell, classes start in a month.

He stayed long enough to get his surgery and rehab.

And yes, the closer it got to classes starting the more surprising it was. I stopped trusting him after he tried leaving mid-season and hearing things about his brother being in his ear. I’ve been telling my friends for months I hoped we could bring in either a JUCO or Grad Transfer big man just in case Jordy wasn’t going to be on the roster.

Edited by REDZONEDAN

1 hour ago, REDZONEDAN said:

He stayed long enough to get his surgery and rehab.

And yes, the closer it got to classes starting the more surprising it was. I stopped trusting him after he tried leaving mid-season and hearing things about his brother being in his ear. I’ve been telling my friends for months I hoped we could bring in either a JUCO or Grad Transfer big man just in case Jordy wasn’t going to be on the roster.

I'm new to the board but the concerns about our front court depth has me on edge about the durability of Copeland and Roby as the season gets into February and more importantly March. I had a conversation with a college friend who now covers recruiting for Juco players and transfers, I asked him if there was any big guys who could be serviceable to us this year. He gave me a name of one guy who is still available I searched to find some kind of video on this guy but considering how late it's getting I can only  hope that we have something in the works with someone who can help us.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9788151/5ab64400ff01c80abca271f4 

15 hours ago, REDZONEDAN said:

Jordy shouldn’t have put us in a major bind. Him leaving wasn’t surprising and the coaching staff should have been prepared.

He did put us in a bind.  Not being privy to the conversation between he and the staff I am not sure what was said when he came back to the team.  My guess is that it was I am here and 100% committed to being here or I would guess the staff would have been looking to replace him if he bailed.  Even if they had an inkling he was wavering, waiting as long as he did did the staff no favors.  

16 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

They've thrown out a ton of offers lately.

I would agree that recruiting this year has been very different. I would think the majority of the push would be us with now 5 open scholarships for next year.

With Isaiah Roby as our lone senior for the 2019-20 season finding a juco in the next month makes a lot of sense.

43 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

I would agree that recruiting this year has been very different. I would think the majority of the push would be us with now 5 open scholarships for next year.

With Isaiah Roby as our lone senior for the 2019-20 season finding a juco in the next month makes a lot of sense.

Highly doubt Roby will be a senior here in 2019-20.   

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think Dean is probably on to something here.

I also think that his leaving while all the coaches where on the road and texted Tim for his release kind of tells us  about what kind of what happened here with out actually knowing everything to be true or not.

Edited by Silverbacked1

36 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I also think that his leaving while all the coaches where on the road and texted Tim for his release kind of tells us  about what kind of what happened here with out actually knowing everything to be true or not.

Yeah, the old "break up by text message" ploy.  That one always makes you look good.