2018 Transfer Market

hhcmatt

30 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Roby is a better player but there is a place for both on this team.   Could easily start Copeland, Roby, Finke at the 3/4/5 and slide Palmer to the 2.

I think he was just referring to the time Roby almost killed him with the near-dunk.

18 minutes ago, nustudent said:

About 3-4 other bigs who averaged double figures are grad transferring. 

Need to land one legit (and by legit, I mean good, not Moses or Duby who we talk ourselves into) who can play right away

How many open spots do we have?

And what are we looking for in a big man?  A guy who can score? Or a guy who can rebound and defend the post?

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

How many open spots do we have?

And what are we looking for in a big man?  A guy who can score? Or a guy who can rebound and defend the post?

Number is obviously fluid right now.

We have one open spot for sure.   Two if you don't renew Borchardt's scholarship.   That doesn't consider Copeland or Palmer not returning or any other attrition.   And I can all but guarantee that we will lose at least one more player based on the law of averages and our past.

Easy answer is that you want one who can do it all.   If you can't find that, you'd want one who is very good at one or the other.   I'd personally rather have someone who can score around the rim, but if you can't find an elite scorer, find an elite defender and rebounder.

44 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Number is obviously fluid right now.

We have one open spot for sure.   Two if you don't renew Borchardt's scholarship.   That doesn't consider Copeland or Palmer not returning or any other attrition.   And I can all but guarantee that we will lose at least one more player based on the law of averages and our past.

Easy answer is that you want one who can do it all.   If you can't find that, you'd want one who is very good at one or the other.   I'd personally rather have someone who can score around the rim, but if you can't find an elite scorer, find an elite defender and rebounder.

The problem with finding one who can "do it all," is that those don't grow on trees.  Those are the type of big men that are only usually in college ball for 1-2 years, and they sure as heck don't come up on the transfer route but once in a million.  We're going to have to find one that is good at one or the other.  Personally, I think that it depends on who comes back.  If we have Cope and Palmer back, I would go more of a defensive and rebound presence.  Otherwise we will need some scoring punch if either of those two leave.

12 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

The problem with finding one who can "do it all," is that those don't grow on trees.  Those are the type of big men that are only usually in college ball for 1-2 years, and they sure as heck don't come up on the transfer route but once in a million.  We're going to have to find one that is good at one or the other.  Personally, I think that it depends on who comes back.  If we have Cope and Palmer back, I would go more of a defensive and rebound presence.  Otherwise we will need some scoring punch if either of those two leave.

Agreed that they don't grow on trees.  I don't expect us to land the next Hakeem Olajuwon here.   But I think we can find a competent player.   When guys in their 4th year of college are averaging 2 ppg and 2.5 rpg....it's a pretty good sign of what they are.  No matter how much we try to talk ourselves into there being a bigger reason for it.   At quick glance, there were already  no less than 5-6 guys who were frontcourt type players who averaged double figures last year.   Yes...some were at a low level...but we just took a guy who averaged 3ppg at a low level.   So there is some definite grey area between what we have taken and the elite transfers.

IMO, a guy like Finke would be a home run for us.

6 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Agreed that they don't grow on trees.  I don't expect us to land the next Hakeem Olajuwon here.   But I think we can find a competent player.   When guys in their 4th year of college are averaging 2 ppg and 2.5 rpg....it's a pretty good sign of what they are.  No matter how much we try to talk ourselves into there being a bigger reason for it.   At quick glance, there were already  no less than 5-6 guys who were frontcourt type players who averaged double figures last year.   Yes...some were at a low level...but we just took a guy who averaged 3ppg at a low level.   So there is some definite grey area between what we have taken and the elite transfers.

IMO, a guy like Finke would be a home run for us.

Agreed.  Just to be clear, I am not advocating for any players here that we have got in the past.  I think you are referring to Dube, and I agree that he wasn't going to star here.  However, I think we are also in two different situations right now.  Last year, I would have said we need someone here to back up Jordy for a few.  I thought, and I am sure many others did as well, that Jordy would be the type of 8 and 8 player that we would like down low.  This year, I think we are looking for something entirely different because of the struggles that Jordy had.  

Just now, hskr4life said:

Agreed.  Just to be clear, I am not advocating for any players here that we have got in the past.  I think you are referring to Dube, and I agree that he wasn't going to star here.  However, I think we are also in two different situations right now.  Last year, I would have said we need someone here to back up Jordy for a few.  I thought, and I am sure many others did as well, that Jordy would be the type of 8 and 8 player that we would like down low.  This year, I think we are looking for something entirely different because of the struggles that Jordy had.  

I think that's probably true.  But also we were wrong in the approach.  We should have been gone a lot harder after the best out there.  Not just a warm body to back someone up.  

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Duby and Old Testament.   Whose name, rather than his game, brought joy to my heart.  

On 29/03/2018 at 11:06 AM, nustudent said:

I think that's probably true.  But also we were wrong in the approach.  We should have been gone a lot harder after the best out there.  Not just a warm body to back someone up.  

What I'm hoping for next year is we can find someone that Jordy can be a backup to.  Transfer or Juco, whatev's. 

3 hours ago, hal9000 said:

What I'm hoping for next year is we can find someone that Jordy can be a backup to.  Transfer or Juco, whatev's. 

I am sort of hoping (and perhaps expecting) exponential growth for Jordy.  He is athletic and he plays good (perhaps very good) defense.  He really needs to improve his hands, build his offensive arsenal and build his basketball IQ in order to stay in games.  Before scoffing at this expectation, don't you think that big men, especially a player that hasn't played the game all that long, tend to mature and find their game later than guards?  Perhaps not, but it is a reason that I hold out hope.

Edited by Huskerpapa

5 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I am sort of hoping (and perhaps expecting) exponential growth for Jordy.  He is athletic and he plays good (perhaps very good) defense.  He really needs to improve his hands, build his offensive arsenal and build his basketball IQ in order to stay in games.  Before scoffing at this expectation, don't you think that big men, especially a player that hasn't played the game all that long, tend to mature and find their game later than guards?  Perhaps not, but it is a reason that I hold out hope.

I think some things he could improve on.   But some big reasons why I'm not optimistic are that two of his weaknesses are generally things that can't be improved upon, or drastically, because that's just how they are..   His hands are terrible and he's not explosive.   Tigers generally can't change their stripes.   His basketball IQ, which certainly seems low, can be improved upon.   His free throw shooting, can be improved upon.  While, he can get stronger and in better shape through workouts, he's not going to all of a sudden be an explosive player who plays above the rim.

My hopes for him are a guy who can keep his strength and hold his own on the block and improves his awareness so he doesn't force things offensively or commit 2-3 dumb fouls a game in less than 15 minutes of playing time.    He's a great depth player.   But I have a real hard time seeing us winning 20+ games and making the dance if he is starting and playing 20-25 minutes night in and night out.

Edited by nustudent