Jump to content
hhcmatt

Scouting Miss St

Recommended Posts

Starting freshman center Abdul Ado didn't play vs Nebraska. Schnider Herard started and played 16 minutes. He has transferred out. 

Nick Weatherspoon's status is up in the air after a scary but overall fall.

 

Miss St has been drawing 6000-9000 fans for conference games.

I'd expect them to draw 6000-7000 though I can't really speak to how much excitement the NIT draws in Starksville. 

This is a young team making it's first postseason appearance under Howland.

 

 

 

The team has been doing all their work inside the arc; they're the 335th worst team in Div 1. For the season Aric Holman is shooting 40.8% but no one else shot over 34% and no one shot over 34% in conference play. Throwing a zone against these guys should prove to be pretty effective though like many poor shooting teams they hit the offensive glass hard.

 

They have an 8-9 man rotation with spread out scoring. The Weatherspoon Bros lead the team in scoring while PG Lamar Peters and PF Aric Holman also score in double digits

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Starting freshman center Abdul Ado didn't play vs Nebraska. Schnider Herard started and played 16 minutes. He has transferred out. 

Nick Weatherspoon's status is up in the air after a scary but overall fall.

 

Miss St has been drawing 6000-9000 fans for conference games.

I'd expect them to draw 6000-7000 though I can't really speak to how much excitement the NIT draws in Starksville. 

This is a young team making it's first postseason appearance under Howland.

 

 

 

The team has been doing all their work inside the arc; they're the 335th worst team in Div 1. For the season Aric Holman is shooting 40.8% but no one else shot over 34% and no one shot over 34% in conference play. Throwing a zone against these guys should prove to be pretty effective though like many poor shooting teams they hit the offensive glass hard.

 

They have an 8-9 man rotation with spread out scoring. The Weatherspoon Bros lead the team in scoring while PG Lamar Peters and PF Aric Holman also score in double digits

 

 

Plus, the 3-point line will be moved out 20 inches. They may not even bother to shoot 3s, meaning we may have to adjust our shots more than they'll adjust theirs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've all been so hung up on the injustice of the seed and the road game, but man-o-man, if we are as good as we think we are, how does MSU have to feel about this game? We beat them once already, in that gym, we have more guys healthy and firing on all cylinders, and we have a grudge. With a crowd <10,000 on a Wednesday night? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hhcscott said:

We've all been so hung up on the injustice of the seed and the road game, but man-o-man, if we are as good as we think we are, how does MSU have to feel about this game? We beat them once already, in that gym, we have more guys healthy and firing on all cylinders, and we have a grudge. With a crowd <10,000 on a Wednesday night? 

They probably got the worst 5 seed draw in the history of the NIT, haha I never thought of it that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Polish Rifle said:

They probably got the worst 5 seed draw in the history of the NIT, haha I never thought of it that way.

Plus we have the opportunity to get payback on Baylor for the 2014 NCAA embarrassment as long as Tim doesn't try to notify the officials of clock management issues.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

This one remember will also be a 9 PM tip local time.  That is 8 PM here, but 9 PM there.  Yikes, an OT game would likely run well past 11 PM local time.

Mississippi in Central time zone. Which means it will be 8 p.m. there. But 40 years earlier, so 1978.

Edited by jayschool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Mississippi State was the 4 seed in the 2012 NIT. Very similar team to this years team. They were 21-11 (8-8) that season, they are 22-11 (9-9) this season. The attendance for that first NIT game - a whooping 2500 people. That was a Tuesday, 6pm tip.

 

They'll probably do better; there has to be a better atmosphere down there with a young team with a newer coach making their first postseason trip vs a team with a longtime coach that was about to be fired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the thing, (and I say this as a Arizona football season ticket holder with games regularly running from 8-midnight) play the game at 7 and show it on tape delay. Then you can stop screwing those who pay to attend and those who are committed to watching on TV will watch it anyway. With DVR, I watch 60% of my sports time shifted anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jayschool said:

Mississippi in Central time zone.

 

Really?  That's what I get for thinking MSU fans knew their own time zone.  I read some of their comments and they were complaining that it was a 9 PM tip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, hhcscott said:

We've all been so hung up on the injustice of the seed and the road game, but man-o-man, if we are as good as we think we are, how does MSU have to feel about this game? We beat them once already, in that gym, we have more guys healthy and firing on all cylinders, and we have a grudge. With a crowd <10,000 on a Wednesday night? 

More complicated than that.  Nit is a lot like mediocre bowl games.  Who wants to be playing in it.  It will be interesting to see if we do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, royalfan said:

More complicated than that.  Nit is a lot like mediocre bowl games.  Who wants to be playing in it.  It will be interesting to see if we do.  

As I noted in another post, the visiting team went 15-12 in true road games in last year's NIT. Houston lost on a neutral court that should have been a home game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Really?  That's what I get for thinking MSU fans knew their own time zone.  I read some of their comments and they were complaining that it was a 9 PM tip.
Centra l time zone runs over to florida.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

 

Really?  That's what I get for thinking MSU fans knew their own time zone.  I read some of their comments and they were complaining that it was a 9 PM tip.

It's possible they were out of state fans.  I'm looking forward to the 6:00 tip here in Arizona.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, jayschool said:

As I noted in another post, the visiting team went 15-12 in true road games in last year's NIT. Houston lost on a neutral court that should have been a home game.

 

Indiana completely forfeited a home game and gave it to Georgia Tech last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hhcscott said:

We've all been so hung up on the injustice of the seed and the road game, but man-o-man, if we are as good as we think we are, how does MSU have to feel about this game? We beat them once already, in that gym, we have more guys healthy and firing on all cylinders, and we have a grudge. With a crowd <10,000 on a Wednesday night? 

 

I thought about that yesterday. I figured it could go both ways. Losing on your home court and getting a postseason rematch with the team that did it--exhibition or no--can motivate a team that otherwise didn't have much to play for. In other words, this grudge can go both ways. 

 

The NITs always weird because you just don't know how teams that were pimped as bubbles for as long as we were (and MSU, too) feel at the end of an exhausting grind, only to find out that all the heart they'd been poring into their last two months was pointless. Dean Smith's exemplary sermon on competitiveness notwithstanding, these kids are mortals, and its easy to check out mentally after this kind of layoff. 

 

So I think your scenario is one possibility. But I think it's easily as likely that our own guys, having played so little the last few weeks at the tail end of a brutal season with one massive kick in the nads to end it,, might be more into getting to the beaches in Biloxi instead. 

 

I'm hoping you call this one right, Scott. I just wouldn't put cash on it...;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

 

Indiana completely forfeited a home game and gave it to Georgia Tech last year.

Yeah. The Indiana AD said playing an NIT game in Assembly Hall would dishonor the court, or words to that effect. That's Nebraska football-level arrogance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jayschool said:

Yeah. The Indiana AD said playing an NIT game in Assembly Hall would dishonor the court, or words to that effect. That's Nebraska football-level arrogance.

 

I found it surprising that according to either OMW or LJS, we have the most NIT appearances than any Big Ten team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×