knee jerk reaction

Snubbed again. We did not even get mentioned in Sports Illustrated's list of the seven worst snubs to the NCAA this year. (and their point was none of the seven deserved to be invited). The real snub was in the NIT seeding which denied us a home game to develop some momentum. By the way, anyone going to Starkville? Be sure to pack your cowbell.I'll be home rooting for Oklahoma and Texas to lay huge eggs.

11 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Snubbed again. We did not even get mentioned in Sports Illustrated's list of the seven worst snubs to the NCAA this year. (and their point was none of the seven deserved to be invited). The real snub was in the NIT seeding which denied us a home game to develop some momentum. By the way, anyone going to Starkville? Be sure to pack your cowbell.I'll be home rooting for Oklahoma and Texas to lay huge eggs.

My thoughts and views of the entire Big 12 and $EC field.  Granted I will NOT be watching, Screw Bruce Rasmussen (btw, the guy has removed his twitter account, email and phone number from the webpage).  

Edited by colhusker

15 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I hope the Big 12 goes 0-7. I know that's not realistic, but I wouldn't be surprised if KU is the only team standing after the first weekend.

16 hours ago, Huskerone said:

Until we beat them, I think we should continue to play the series.  Its a program we need work to get to their level.  Its a good measuring stick game.  We also recruit a lot of the same players.  It was a competitive game this year, maybe next year get over the hump.  On the plus side, we OWN the bluejays in baseball, so that's nice. :)

All-time series is 26 to 25 Bluebirds

My knee jerk reaction was we could win the whole damn NIT.  We might not play a single home game during that time.  We might beat a Big 12, SEC, and big time Mid-Major on the road, and the national pundits would still not give us credit.  It would be more like "Well there is a reason all those teams are in the NIT, " or, "Well it is hard for those teams who thought they were deserving to get up for the NIT."

10 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

So he's saying it's better to go to the NIT and win than go to the NCAA and lose in the 1st/2nd round? 

All one has to do is watch the montage of teams celebrating their bid and compare it to the celebration of teams winning the NIT to know there's a pretty significant difference.

Fuck you, KU fan.

Edited by atskooc

30 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

My knee jerk reaction was we could win the whole damn NIT.  We might not play a single home game during that time.  We might beat a Big 12, SEC, and big time Mid-Major on the road, and the national pundits would still not give us credit.  It would be more like "Well there is a reason all those teams are in the NIT, " or, "Well it is hard for those teams who thought they were deserving to get up for the NIT."

Our road to NYC is more like this:

@ SEC team (MSU)

@ Big 12 team (Baylor)

@ ACC team (Louisville)

That includes winning games at universities that should be mired in scandal, not playing post-season basketball.

3 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Which of course shows the importance of non-conference scheduling.

It also underscores the notion that a program like Nebraska — one that will not have any one-and-done players or guaranteed future NBAers — has to be ready to win from Day One. There's no longer any reason to think that the committee will value late-season over early-season performance. So Nebraska, in a year it feels it can compete for the post-season, needs to get as much experience on the court as possible, and get it out there as early as possible. Be ready on Nov. 1 to play your best basketball. There's no longer such a thing as using the non-conference schedule as a way to figure out what kind of team and lineups you might use when the rubber hits the road.

The rubber hits the road on Day One.

8 minutes ago, jayschool said:

It also underscores the notion that a program like Nebraska — one that will not have any one-and-done players or guaranteed future NBAers — has to be ready to win from Day One. There's no longer any reason to think that the committee will value late-season over early-season performance. So Nebraska, in a year it feels it can compete for the post-season, needs to get as much experience on the court as possible, and get it out there as early as possible. Be ready on Nov. 1 to play your best basketball. There's no longer such a thing as using the non-conference schedule as a way to figure out what kind of team and lineups you might use when the rubber hits the road.

The rubber hits the road on Day One.

The days of using early season games to develop players is over unless you have a game fully in control. Can't spend the time to try out lineups. Day 1 need to be ready to role.

Also, need to put maximum effort getting the "Q1" wins. In this new era there is nothing more important than getting Q1 wins. They are the holly grail going forward. Nov, Dec, are now more important than Jan, Feb, and March. Conference records don't matter. This is the game that Nebraska needs to learn how to play.

There is going to be a lot of fallout from what happened with 2018 selection. 

Could a teams season in essence be over, baring winning their conference tournament, if come January and they don't have any Q1 win opportunities left on the schedule? 

Could rest starters more and use this as the opportunity to develop young players.

The flip side of this is also the case that if you already have several Q1 wins you can shut it down a bit.

14 minutes ago, nustudent said:

It shows the importance of non-con success.   They didn't play any more games than the Big 10 did.   They just won them.

Quality non-con schedule plus success. Prior to yesterday I somewhat viewed the non-con as a time of development and figuring out starting lineup.

If I'm being honest I never really put much import in non-con except for a few games and believed that everything we did during non-con needed to be geared towards success in conference play. We now know that a teams non-conference record is largely irrelevant.

Everything we do needs to be geared towards getting multiple Q1 games in our non-con and then winning a few of them. Need to have 4-5 of those games guaranteed on our schedule.

Also, the conference tournament really doesn't matter anymore for seeding. Does it really matter anymore? 

40 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

The days of using early season games to develop players is over unless you have a game fully in control. Can't spend the time to try out lineups. Day 1 need to be ready to role.

Also, need to put maximum effort getting the "Q1" wins. In this new era there is nothing more important than getting Q1 wins. They are the holly grail going forward. Nov, Dec, are now more important than Jan, Feb, and March. Conference records don't matter. This is the game that Nebraska needs to learn how to play.

There is going to be a lot of fallout from what happened with 2018 selection. 

Could a teams season in essence be over, baring winning their conference tournament, if come January and they don't have any Q1 win opportunities left on the schedule? 

Could rest starters more and use this as the opportunity to develop young players.

The flip side of this is also the case that if you already have several Q1 wins you can shut it down a bit.

As long as the Quad system is still around next year.....

39 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Just looked Alabama and I don't see a good non-con win.  They will point to the OU win but that was about the time OU started it's stagger to the finish.

They beat OU and Rhode Island.   That’s two tournament teams.   Two more than we had.   And the rest of the SEC was very successful as well.   Comparing their wins to the big tens, it’s a very stark difference 

1 hour ago, Blindcheck said:

Should conferences like the PAC and Big 10 partner and have a challenge where each team gets 2 games, to fill up the non conference slate.

To hell with the low majors.....they will just have to play each other.

Do you really want to partner with the worst power conference as rated by conference BPI in the past decade?

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

They beat OU and Rhode Island.   That’s two tournament teams.   Two more than we had.   And the rest of the SEC was very successful as well.   Comparing their wins to the big tens, it’s a very stark difference 

Ou should NOT be in.  Can't speak for RI haven't had a chance to wee who they beat.