Scheduling is everything

Ron Mexico

Miles and Boehm better had learned something from all of this.

No more MEAC, SWAC, etc conference teams should ever appear on our schedule again...ever.

It is all about metrics and not about how you play. 

We have no control over our conference schedule so we should always schedule assuming the worst possible BIG schedule. With the conference schedule expanding to 20 games our non-con schedule becomes even more important.

In a big way we screwed ourselves with scheduling.

We can not longer tailor or schedule to the type of team we think we may have. Record doesn't matter once you get to 18 wins what matters is who you beat and not who you lost to. 

Losing to UCF and Illinois did not hurt us. What hurt us and what we were reminded of ad nauseum was the lack of Q1 wins. The way you get Q1 wins is by playing a high volume of potential Q1 teams and just beat a few of them. Think of this. Trade UCF, Eastern Illinois, North Texas, Marist, and Delaware St for projected Q1/Q2 teams. You don't sweep a better schedule but you have more opportunities to improve our "Team Sheet".

Everything we do going forward has to be geared towards schedule manipulation.

1 minute ago, Ron Mexico said:

Bottom line is that we have to play the scheduling game better than what we did this season.

Again overreaction.   Had we beat UCF and Tacko Fall not got hurt...thats a quad 1 win and we dont play Marist or Long BEach State.

Had Wisconsin and MInnesota not been hurt/suspended and live up to preseason expectations that 4 games against Top 50 teams rather than top 150 teams.

This year was bad luck as much as anything

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

Again overreaction.   Had we beat UCF and Tacko Fall not got hurt...thats a quad 1 win and we dont play Marist or Long BEach State.

Had Wisconsin and MInnesota not been hurt/suspended and live up to preseason expectations that 4 games against Top 50 teams rather than top 150 teams.

This year was bad luck as much as anything

What happened was that poor scheduling finally caught up with us. 

What is the most irritating is that Miles came into Nebraska as the RPI guru. I don't agree with the RPI, but I can't hate on any team like Buffalo or St. Bonaventure who find a way to exploit it. But I have a feeling that Miles was trying to find a manageable schedule that would give his team a chance to win some games and he could keep his job.

What's sad though is that I felt this year's schedule wasn't any worse that what we had under our beloved Doc (no disrespect).

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

Of course it is.

But outside of lots of bad luck, I have no issue with anything we did  with our scheduling this year.  

Our margin for error is razor thin. We struggle to even get in the conversation for the NCAA to begin with. We have to be smarter about scheduling.

We are in the era of the "Team Sheet" and we need to act accordingly.

The BIG schedule screwed us, not the noncon. We had opportunities in noncon and didn't produce. Our conference schedule was crap, and again, we didn't take advantage of opportunities that were there. There's no need to nitpick the metrics, just look at the wins: ONE against a tournament team, FOUR against sub-100 RPIs. I don't get why everyone makes this so hard with conspirators around every corner.

Just now, Ron Mexico said:

Our margin for error is razor thin. We struggle to even get in the conversation for the NCAA to begin with. We have to be smarter about scheduling.

We are in the era of the "Team Sheet" and we need to act accordingly.

A normal year in the Big 10 and we have 4-5 more opportunities.  Beat UCF and you have 3 legit OOC games, instead of taking on two patsies.   

Just now, Chuck Taylor said:

The BIG schedule screwed us, not the noncon. We had opportunities in noncon and didn't produce. Our conference schedule was crap, and again, we didn't take advantage of opportunities that were there. There's no need to nitpick the metrics, just look at the wins: ONE against a tournament team, FOUR against sub-100 RPIs. I don't get why everyone makes this so hard with conspirators around every corner.

Bingo

Just now, hskr4life said:

Really is as much about the league as it is your non-con.  Most years, the Big 10 isn’t thaaaaaat bad.  Or should I say perceived.... I still don’t think they were that bad.

The Big 10 was strong up top as usual....but the middle was weakened with injuries and suspensions and due to the conference's non con performance it took a beating statistically and perception wise.

The middle that had a team beat Michigan by 20, PSU beat OSU times, Maryland a 70% to make the tourney if they beat us a home, Wisconsin beating Purdue, Illinois beating Mizzou and competing in nearly every game? Really, we shpuld just play the non conference games and determine the bids from each conference based on the RPI after that. No need to play conference games if 8-10 teams can just beat each other and swap SOS and RPI.

Edited by TomEadesSucks

5 minutes ago, nustudent said:

The Big 10 was strong up top as usual....but the middle was weakened with injuries and suspensions and due to the conference's non con performance it took a beating statistically and perception wise.

We can't control other teams we can only control what we do. 

It is not an over reaction, and is very reasonable to say that we need to play the scheduling game better.

Playing teams from MEAC and SWAC never have and never will do anything for us. We'd be better off playing D2 teams.

Just now, Ron Mexico said:

We can't control other teams we can only control what we do. 

It is not an over reaction, and is very reasonable to say that we need to play the scheduling game better.

Playing teams from MEAC and SWAC never have and never will do anything for us. We'd be better off playing D2 teams.

I wont disagree with trying to get away from MEAC and SWAC schools.   But it was the Big 10 conference schedule (which we have no control over) that hurt us more than the non con