Selection Show, who to watch for

NeeandMe

Just now, tcp said:

I'm wondering if even a Michigan win in the tourney would've gotten us in right now. 

Sheesh. 

B1G needs to take non-conference scheduling uber-seriously from here on out. 

Going to be tough to do when we go to 20 conference games next season. Another brilliant idea.

5 minutes ago, HuskerBB said:

This is a horrible format to announcing the field in my opinion.   I thought they would do it by seed if they were not going by brackets.

Sad we are not in.  Angry that Oklahoma made it.  Absolutely no basis for putting OU in the tournament field.

Yes, there is.  They have the best player, and the name on the front of the jerseys.

2 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Scheduling was ok....performance hurt it more than anything

our opportunities were miniscule to win big games at home. that not an ok schedule. sure, it was largely an accident of fate, but still....

asking a 48-64 caliber team to "prove" they belong by winning all three of their quad 1 games on the road is, to put it kindly, nuts. 

remember, we went 2-1 against quad 1 at home. the problem was we only had 3 shots at it. 

3 minutes ago, tcp said:

our opportunities were miniscule to win big games at home. that not an ok schedule. sure, it was largely an accident of fate, but still....

asking a 48-64 caliber team to "prove" they belong by winning all three of their quad 1 games on the road is, to put it kindly, nuts. 

remember, we went 2-1 against quad 1 at home. the problem was we only had 3 shots at it. 

Its an accident.  Ohio State wasnt a preseason quad 1 team.   Minnesota and Wisconsin were.   Short of giving the conference a crystal ball...what do you do?

Just now, nustudent said:

Its an accident.  Ohio State wasnt a preseason quad 1 team.   Minnesota and Wisconsin were.   Short of giving the conference a crystal ball...what do you do?

that's the relevant question and a thread we should have as soon as the offseason blow in. But for now, I think the conference is going to have to have some strict non-conference scheduling rules unless and until RPI is formally ditched. I have to believe there's a mathematical position to take here: no more than 1 300+, tourneys only if there's a reasonable guarantee of no 300+ in losers bracket, that sort of thing. It's just a quick mind belch, but you get the idea. 

We can't have everything ride on the goofy conference challenge for every team in the conference. 

1 minute ago, tcp said:

that's the relevant question and a thread we should have as soon as the offseason blow in. But for now, I think the conference is going to have to have some strict non-conference scheduling rules unless and until RPI is formally ditched. I have to believe there's a mathematical position to take here: no more than 1 300+, tourneys only if there's a reasonable guarantee of no 300+ in losers bracket, that sort of thing. It's just a quick mind belch, but you get the idea. 

We can't have everything ride on the goofy conference challenge for every team in the conference. 

Again..without crystal balls...thats awefully tough to do.   It didnt just have to be the conference challenge...the league struggled the rest of the non-con too.  Like I said the other day...its bad luck.   

10 minutes ago, No Place Like the Vault said:

If some don't leave.  I'd be very surprised if both Copeland and Palmer are back.

Not to be rude, but thats BS, you have no idea.  Why speculate like that?  Other than to get a negative reaction?  People that speculate on who stays and who goes are getting tire some.  You talk with Cope and Palmer often?  If anything this type of thing can unite a group and both would be more likely to come back.  Geesh.  Rant over.

3 minutes ago, tcp said:

I could up-vote this but that wouldn't be enough. Everyone should read this again. In today's world of RPI still being relied upon heavily, it is bordering on a fireable offense to not be thinking of the RPI when scheduling. OK, I exaggerate a little... but not really. It should be part of coaching 101 if you have goals of making the NCAA tournament.

2 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Again..without crystal balls...thats awefully tough to do.   It didnt just have to be the conference challenge...the league struggled the rest of the non-con too.  Like I said the other day...its bad luck.   

No, it doesn't take crystal balls. Delaware St, Marist, and Stetson were all in the 300s on KenPom last year. They should not have been on our schedule.