Where does Nebraska land?

unl

Call your shot - postseason predictions.   

108 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Nebraska land?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/11/2018 at 10:00 PM

Been lurking here for a while and decided to finally make an account.  Used to chat on another board with colonel about Husker Hoops and it has been a ghost town over there for a few years. 

Hope I'm wrong, but I think there are too many factors against the Huskers this year.  Sickens me that they achieved so much this year, but needed just a little bit more due to how the dominoes fell.  Best conference record ever, one loss at home, #4 conference standing in the regular season, and it's sad that it will likely all be for nothing in the tournament discussion.  One 3 pointer from KU, or a OT win against Penn St, or road win at IL likely would have been that extra oomph to make it happen.

1) Poor resume, no quality wins other than Michigan.

2) B1G NYC-week-early fiasco, dumbest decision to have the tournament there a week earlier than everyone else.  NU is completely out of 90%+ of conversations now as a result.

3) BTN only exposure for NU.  No conference games nationally televised, No one outside of the B1G footprint has been keeping eyes on NU like they have the B12, ACC, and BE.

4) Opponents did worse than they should have this year, lowering NU's RPI, SOS, and Quadrant qualifications.

5) In the exposure we did get on BTN, they talked about 5 other team in the conference nonstop, and NU very sparingly.  Also, during the B1G tourney, they talked about NYC more than try to pump up the league to change the "down year" perception, and just didn't lobby for more than the top 4 teams' inclusion.

I'll watch tomorrow, but not holding out hope, I think NU is NIT bound as a 4 seed.

16 minutes ago, RexxRacerX said:

Been lurking here for a while and decided to finally make an account.  Used to chat on another board with colonel about Husker Hoops and it has been a ghost town over there for a few years. 

Hope I'm wrong, but I think there are too many factors against the Huskers this year.  Sickens me that they achieved so much this year, but needed just a little bit more due to how the dominoes fell.  Best conference record ever, one loss at home, #4 conference standing in the regular season, and it's sad that it will likely all be for nothing in the tournament discussion.  One 3 pointer from KU, or a OT win against Penn St, or road win at IL likely would have been that extra oomph to make it happen.

1) Poor resume, no quality wins other than Michigan.

2) B1G NYC-week-early fiasco, dumbest decision to have the tournament there a week earlier than everyone else.  NU is completely out of 90%+ of conversations now as a result.

3) BTN only exposure for NU.  No conference games nationally televised, No one outside of the B1G footprint has been keeping eyes on NU like they have the B12, ACC, and BE.

4) Opponents did worse than they should have this year, lowering NU's RPI, SOS, and Quadrant qualifications.

5) In the exposure we did get on BTN, they talked about 5 other team in the conference nonstop, and NU very sparingly.  Also, during the B1G tourney, they talked about NYC more than try to pump up the league to change the "down year" perception, and just didn't lobby for more than the top 4 teams' inclusion.

I'll watch tomorrow, but not holding out hope, I think NU is NIT bound as a 4 seed.

Cheers, and welcome to the HHC brotherhood!

Excellent post here man. There were a lot of things out of our control that worked against us, which are obvious and easily corrected systematic issues imo. Sure, we faceplates in a few key games, but they really screwed us over with the schedule, and our opponents sure didn't help us (thanks, minnesota!:rolleyes:).

Again, welcome! Hope you stick around and keep contributing. We are always in need of level headed, logical husker fans. This is a fun board so you should feel at home here. :)

We'll do better than a 4 seed in the NIT. I'm guessing a 2 seed right now. My consolation is that the chaos from this new selection system will likely result in yet another revamp, this time taking aim at the predictive models and their realistic application. And RPI is fixing to attend its own funeral. It's just not a good team measure. 

Edit: one other possibility is that conferences start doing more coordinating of scheduling for schools; maybe instituting rules on how many 300+ opponents any team can schedule, tournament parameters, etc.The RPI has to be pushing conferences into centralized scheduling with its emphasis on conference performance early and then the self-reinforcing nature of the model. Those conference challenges might also get a look see, to make sure there's maximal balancing so that neither conference gets destroyed by mismatches based on previous years performances. 

Edited by tcp
because....

common sense says we should make it in over oklahoma, but the quadrant rules say otherwise. 

luckily we only have to wait 24 hours til this is all over.

i think the big 10 has a good case to get a 5th team in. the big 10 is the only conference with 4 teams ranked in the top 17. how is that only a 4 bid league?

Edited by TimSmiles

Here's the Elephant in the Room: If any other B1G team, ANY OTHER, finished in 4th place with a 13 - 5 record you can bet your a** they would be in. There's a biased held against us because of our history, our Tournament failures, and due to the simple fact that well, we're NEBRASKA. If you think that sounds provincial or paranoid, so be it. I've lived and worked on both Coasts, and you know what people think about Nebraska? They don't   

1 minute ago, Handy Johnson said:

Here's the Elephant in the Room: If any other B1G team, ANY OTHER, finished in 4th place with a 13 - 5 record you can bet your a** they would be in. There's a biased held against us because of our history, our Tournament failures, and due to the simple fact that well, we're NEBRASKA. If you think that sounds provincial or paranoid, so be it. I've lived and worked on both Coasts, and you know what people think about Nebraska? They don't   

"You guys have cars?  I thought you rode around on horses!"

"Do you still have cowboys and indians?"

"Nebraska... thats where they have all that corn and no people right?"

All things that were said to someone I knew when they went to New York......

1 hour ago, RexxRacerX said:

The only conversation that matters is the one in the committee room.  Right now, they're singing two songs to the Huskers.  Besides Brothers Johnson, they do David Bowie.

Don't worry, I have more...

35 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

One Hundred Years from now, the answer to the trivia question, "what was the only Big Ten team ever to win 13 conference games and not make the NCAA Tournament", will be 2018 Nebraska.  Well, I might be wrong, we might go 13-5 again next year and the m****r f****rs might find a different reason to keep us out.

I have had a bad feeling about this for a while. I just don't see any way we get into the Big Dance. Schedule broke the wrong way and we didn't get as many opportunities for big wins as we needed (and the chances we did get, we couldn't close the deal). I do think 2 games really cost us...2 games that we had no business losing: at PSU and at Illinois. Win those 2 and we are 15-3 in the B1G. Quad 1 wins be damned, there is no way we could be kept out.

Would love to be wrong. It doesn't take away from a good year and it has been a ton of fun to watch and cheer for this team, however the brackets fall.

45 minutes ago, demone said:

Schedule broke the wrong way and we didn't get as many opportunities for big wins as we needed

I actually think the committee is going to heavily consider this. A point of emphasis they have made this year is "intent in scheduling." So that helps with our non-conference (remember that rough 5 game stretch of high caliber teams? We scheduled around that) and there's absolutely nothing we could have done with our conference slate since that was set in stone. We did what we could with the schedule we had. SOR reflects that and says that we played our schedule better than 90%+ than the rest of the NCAA was projected to have done.