United States v Gatto

Ashfan

Just read the first opinion from the US District Court for the Southern District of New York in the case that the US has brought against the shoe company exec and others for bribing basketball players to attend certain schools. The opinion denies a motion to dismiss the indictment filed by the defendants in this action. Thought some might be interested in the basis for the criminal charges, at least in this action. The below is quoted from the opinion:

Defendants are charged with conspiring to use interstate or foreign wires in furtherance of the scheme to defraud by making, agreeing to make, and concealing bribe payments to the high-school basketball players and/or their families in exchange for the players' commitments to play basketball at the University of Louisville and the University of Miami, thereby (1) interfering with the universities' ability to control the use of their assets, including the decision of how to allocate a limited amount of athletic scholarships, and exposing the universities to tangible economic harm, including monetary and other penalties imposed by the NCAA.

Oh and I know I look like a  **** responding to my own posts but one thing I found very interesting from the indictment is that the coaches at Louisville and Miami allegedly approached the shoe company exec, Gatto, and asked his financial help in getting players. It wasn't Gotto going to the schools and the coaches having a moment of weakness.