Coach Miles

19 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

1620 basically discussed the meeting with Moos for 47 minutes today. And there's constant talk about his contract being extended. All of those things are code for whether we're going to keep him around or not. 

Dang it I should have eaten my Fruit Loops today and dug the decoder ring out like I planned.

Sounds like a firing is probably not in the works?  And it shouldn’t be.  

Get this: Nebrasketball won 22 games in the regular season this year and finished fourth in the B1G, which has three teams still playing in the post-season (NU split with two of those three).
That’s pretty darn good for any team—and we all now know that selection and seeding committees this year, who held a contrary view, didn’t know squat!

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

1620 basically discussed the meeting with Moos for 47 minutes today. And there's constant talk about his contract being extended. All of those things are code for whether we're going to keep him around or not. 

It's an unanswered question that people have opinions on so it's great for talk radio and no doubt this place will be buzzing until the issue is resolved.

To the point though I would note that last year we spent a lot of time trying to find the next coach for Nebraska; this year that hasn't seriously materialized. The guy won 22 games so he's certainly earned some good will back from losing 19 the year before.

At this point if you're Bill Moos is there any real reason to be in a hurry about any of this unless you think that Miles is going to bolt (seems unlikely). You can say that Miles not being extended previously was hurting recruiting but is it hurting recruiting *at this moment*?  Maybe it is in the D-1 transfer market. Maybe not. 

Moos has been focused on football and restructuring the staff and it would be easy for him to rubber stamp a few more years; Miles can recruit, he fills the stadium, and he made a post season. If you're considering about having the guy work for you another 4 years why rush a few days now?  It's sure possible Moos is waiting around because he's shopping for another guy but maybe he's just trying to figure out what he has in Miles. It's quite probable that Miles will be extended and come back; I think Miles having an actual working relationship with his AD can only benefit him and the program he's trying to build.

Just now, hhcdimes said:

It's an unanswered question that people have opinions on so it's great for talk radio and no doubt this place will be buzzing until the issue is resolved.

To the point though I would note that last year we spent a lot of time trying to find the next coach for Nebraska; this year that hasn't seriously materialized. The guy won 22 games so he's certainly earned some good will back from losing 19 the year before.

At this point if you're Bill Moos is there any real reason to be in a hurry about any of this unless you think that Miles is going to bolt (seems unlikely). You can say that Miles not being extended previously was hurting recruiting but is it hurting recruiting *at this moment*?  Maybe it is in the D-1 transfer market. Maybe not. 

Moos has been focused on football and restructuring the staff and it would be easy for him to rubber stamp a few more years; Miles can recruit, he fills the stadium, and he made a post season. If you're considering about having the guy work for you another 4 years why rush a few days now?  It's sure possible Moos is waiting around because he's shopping for another guy but maybe he's just trying to figure out what he has in Miles. It's quite probable that Miles will be extended and come back; I think Miles having an actual working relationship with his AD can only benefit him and the program he's trying to build.

I'm fully on board with what you're saying and with Coach Miles - hence the OP. I was just referring to Sam implying this was not a legit topic. And I highly disagree. I talk husker basketball all day with many people... it's certainly in the air. Consensus I am getting is people want him gone after next year if we don't do anything special. 

Just now, HuskerFever said:

I heard this exact same thing last season.

But, IMO, we kinda did do something special this year. It was a good year, I had a ton of fun and enjoyed watching our team. 

I have put a caveat on all of this, of course, and that is a mass exodus of players. 

13 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

But, IMO, we kinda did do something special this year. It was a good year, I had a ton of fun and enjoyed watching our team. 

I have put a caveat on all of this, of course, and that is a mass exodus of players. 

I can get on board with this.

What it comes down to is: are we delaying the inevitable? Or building upon something special?

7 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

What it comes down to is: are we delaying the inevitable? Or building upon something special?

I think it comes down to does Moos have a new coach lined up?  If he does, Miles is gone.  If he doesn't. Miles will get a 2 year extension.  If Miles gets a five year extension or a new contract, Moos is a true believer.

8 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Consensus I am getting is people want him gone after next year if we don't do anything special. 

Depends what you call special. I’d say 20 wins and meaningful late February games is pretty special, I’d sign up for that year in and year out if we could. Also there a chance next year that we could win less games but it could be considered a better season. 

It really just all all comes down to expectations. As long as we are bringing in exciting recruits( the 3 current ones all seem to have a shock n awe to them IMO ) and we pack the vault every home game I tend to believe the on court stuff will take care of itself. 

Heck if miles incorporates some form of offense into the offense then we won’t have anything to complain about on this forum. Then what are we all gonna do? 

On 3/5/2018 at 7:43 PM, nustudent said:

Coming from someone who was fine with him being let go last year....there is absolutely no way whatsoever that you can legitimately fire him now.

The lousy thing....as mentioned earlier....was the corner Eichorst painted us into.   No renewal the first year....that's fine.  Put's him on notice.   But then after the second year?   He needed to be fired or extended after last year.   Now Moos has to give him an extension otherwise it is recruiting suicide, regardless of what Moos thinks about him.   And if things fall apart next year...we have to fire him after just giving him an extension.  

Hoping beyond hope that the team stays together and we perform well next year otherwise it gets real ugly.

All of this, and this is why I feel the way I feel ... would suck to extend and then have to fire (like it seems like we've done with football coach after football coach the last few times). If it was true Eichorst wasn't "allowed" to fire Miles last year due to not being allowed to make any more major coaching changes for the time being (a rumor that had been going around), then maybe Bounds and Green already had a sentiment about Miles that they have passed on to Moos. I think it's possible we are slow playing Miles thinking if he leaves for elsewhere, he leaves ... or maybe Moos is seeing what he might be able to work in terms of candidates he'd like to ideally hire if necessary.

9 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

A lot of coaches on Moos list are probably still coaching or just got recently done...I really doubt Miles doesn’t get a two year extension...

There's only one coach on Moos' "list".  He's got a career .531 record and hasn't taken a team to the postseason in a decade.  Be careful what you wish for...you might just get it.

if we were going to extend him I think it would be done by now.  Moos is obviously buying himself some time to gauge interest at some targets on his list.  I remember for football he had a list of some top coaches that he kept in his desk.  Same with basketball probably and I don't think its right to compare his last couple basketball hires to what he might hire here.  He isn't going to fire a 22 win coach for Ernie Kent, if he is going to move on from Miles its going to be a name on that top 5 list in my opinion.

Does anyone see Miles' potential contract extension hinging on if Palmer, Copeland, Roby, and Jordy return?  I initially thought it might, but that would drag this process out quite a ways. If two or more of those players transfer and Miles gets an extension, the voices of the disgruntled Miles resisters would get pretty loud.  I see him getting extended for another two years since we haven't heard anything yet.

It'll be pretty tough to compete for some of the up and coming coaches with the other schools that are also shopping for a new coach. Louisville, Arizona possibly, Pitt (dumpster fire). UCONN already moved quickly to find their replacement. 

2 hours ago, ConkintheCorner said:

if we were going to extend him I think it would be done by now.  Moos is obviously buying himself some time to gauge interest at some targets on his list.  I remember for football he had a list of some top coaches that he kept in his desk.  Same with basketball probably and I don't think its right to compare his last couple basketball hires to what he might hire here.  He isn't going to fire a 22 win coach for Ernie Kent, if he is going to move on from Miles its going to be a name on that top 5 list in my opinion.

Apparently Ernie has been on that Top 5 list for some time.  Guessing Moos will find that Lincoln is not a destination job for many coaches.

8 minutes ago, Euro Dagunduro said:

Does anyone see Miles' potential contract extension hinging on if Palmer, Copeland, Roby, and Jordy return?

I certainly hope we hired a better athletic director than someone who would base their decision on something so fleeting.