The Longest Day(s)

jimmykc

Every time somebody points out another team who shouldn't be in the NCAA, I go here and compare their resume to ours:

https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/team-comparison/NEB/BAMA

It's a short-hand version of what the committee is looking at. Alabama is 6-8 vs. top 50, while we're 1-6. They're 5-3 vs. 51-100, while we're 3-3. The committee doesn't look at conference standings, it looks at your record in tough games. I don't know if Alabama gets in or not, but this measure is what has them on the bubble.  Our slim chances rest on having done the best we could against a mediocre schedule that we had no control over. 

Moos and Delany have nothing to do with it. Our best hopes are Rasmussen because he's seen us and Jim Phillips of Northwestern, who can explain how Delany screwed the conference with early games and a compressed schedule by forcing the BIG tourney into New York. 

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Every time somebody points out another team who shouldn't be in the NCAA, I go here and compare their resume to ours:

https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/team-comparison/NEB/BAMA

It's a short-hand version of what the committee is looking at. Alabama is 6-8 vs. top 50, while we're 1-6. They're 5-3 vs. 51-100, while we're 3-3. The committee doesn't look at conference standings, it looks at your record in tough games. I don't know if Alabama gets in or not, but this measure is what has them on the bubble.  Our slim chances rest on having done the best we could against a mediocre schedule that we had no control over. 

Moos and Delany have nothing to do with it. Our best hopes are Rasmussen because he's seen us and Jim Phillips of Northwestern, who can explain how Delany screwed the conference with early games and a compressed schedule by forcing the BIG tourney into New York. 

Some of Alabama and the rest of the $EC is that for whatever reason this year, their basketball conference was given the same man crush their football conference gets.  Guess the Bag men have moved to basketball too.

How many teir 1 or top 50 games did we get at home vs other what other teams got?  You'd have to really dig into our numbers to see that our schedule did us no favors. I think that's where the SOR would have to be looked at. That's about the only way you could make a case for us to get in.  Our schedule was just so unique.  Most teams who played our schedule would have similar weak metrics across the board.

18 hours ago, unl said:

What kind of website it this? I have zero reason to believe it. But I have zero reason to disbelieve it, either. Says we have a 72% chance to make it...

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/nebraska-cornhuskers/bracketology

Sounds like Mark Boehms website...

Edited by Mr. Red

I was joking earlier when I wondered if we would make the NIT.  I am really not joking when I wonder how many home games we will get?  I'm starting to think 0 or 1 is a very good possibility.   We have a chance to be a 3, 4, or 5 seed.  Before, I thought for sure, a 2 seed was the lowest we would go.

That would be just the cherry on top of one of the most disappointing (not making the NCAA tournament), yet exciting seasons (school record for conference wins) in Nebrasketball history.

1 hour ago, brfrad said:

I was joking earlier when I wondered if we would make the NIT.  I am really not joking when I wonder how many home games we will get?  I'm starting to think 0 or 1 is a very good possibility.   We have a chance to be a 3, 4, or 5 seed.  Before, I thought for sure, a 2 seed was the lowest we would go.

That would be just the cherry on top of one of the most disappointing (not making the NCAA tournament), yet exciting seasons (school record for conference wins) in Nebrasketball history.

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.  My meter is wayyyyy off tonight.

3 hours ago, brfrad said:

I started thinking about our last NIT appearance tonight. 19-12 and we were a 5 seed...I try to erase this night from my memory. OF COURSE we draw the eventual 2011 NIT champions in round 1...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/matchup?gameId=310752724

6 minutes ago, skerbball said:

I started thinking about our last NIT appearance tonight. 19-12 and we were a 5 seed...I try to erase this night from my memory. OF COURSE we draw the eventual 2011 NIT champions in round 1...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/matchup?gameId=310752724

That was roughhhhhh.  We had a shot to dance that year as well.  All we had to do was beat Colorado and we tanked.  Listened to that game.  Then if we would have beated OSU in the conference tournament, bubble... tank!

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.  My meter is wayyyyy off tonight.

Not the part about being a 3, 4, or 5 seed.  If you look at most NCAA brackets, we are not the 1st four out, or 2nd 4 out.   That makes us a 3 seed at the highest. 

20 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Not the part about being a 3, 4, or 5 seed.  If you look at most NCAA brackets, we are not the 1st four out, or 2nd 4 out.   That makes us a 3 seed at the highest. 

Is the NIT required to follow this logic?  I mean it''s based on LuNARDi