FBI Ramification

3 minutes ago, Coaches kid said:

A friend of mine works with a bunch of Creighton alums. They told him because Nebraska was not on the list of schools to make illegal offers, it was proof we were not a "big time" program. Mentality being, if you don't cheat, you're not a real basketball school. Typical Creighton mentality. 

Looks like their mantra ought to be: "Stupid is as stupid does."

So Far Creighton has been connected to:

* Andy Miller (Dirty Agent) - Agent for Justin Patton. Miller represented Patton before allegations of him brokering deals through shoe companies. Part of the 1st big story involving paying of college players.

* Tugs Bowen (Recruit) - Allegedly was being shopped by father and dirty agent to play ball at certain universities. CU in final 5.

* Christian Dawkins (Dirty Agent) - Allegedly was the person fielding offers for the services of Bowen. CU offers 100K.

* Dana Altman (Coach) - Been referenced in various reports, connecting him to the paying of players. Not looking like the squeaky clean coach his reputation showed years back. 

Just now, NebrasketballJake said:

*Lee Corso Voice "NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND"

After listening to Dan Wetzel on 1620 I’m even more convinced the NCAA isn’t going to do anything about this. I’m standing by my statement nothing is going to happen because the NCAA cares too much about their pocket books to care. Not one...ONE...NCAA rep is at this trial

3 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

After listening to Dan Wetzel on 1620 I’m even more convinced the NCAA isn’t going to do anything about this. I’m standing by my statement nothing is going to happen because the NCAA cares too much about their pocket books to care. Not one...ONE...NCAA rep is at this trial

This has all been tried in the court of public opinion, which isn't saying much... Not that any of this matters to the NCAA, they only care about the coin they bank.

30 minutes ago, Coaches kid said:

A friend of mine works with a bunch of Creighton alums. They told him because Nebraska was not on the list of schools to make illegal offers, it was proof we were not a "big time" program. Mentality being, if you don't cheat, you're not a real basketball school. Typical Creighton mentality. 

In a sense, they are not wrong.  But there are plenty of examples of "big time" programs that seem to function perfectly fine without any notion of impropriety.  In the region I can think of quite a few pretty squeaky clean hoops programs that are a far sight more big time than Creighton...

-Iowa

-Iowa State

-Wisconsin

-Kansas State (although that may be debatable)

-Wichita State  edited because they apparently are dirty as hell

Heck, even Colorado (which is a historically worse program than Nebraska) has managed to match Creighton's run of success in their high-major era pretty much step-for-step and Tad Boyle (annoyingly) runs one of the cleanest programs in all of basketball.

Edited by 49r

10 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

You are most likely right.  But the NCAA is being cuckolded by the FBI in this deal and it's a huge embarrassment for them.  I wouldn't be shocked to see Emmert have to step down over this whole situation.

16 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

I'd agree on a macro level.  I think the only thing that may or may not happen is Preston Murphy no longer coaching there. If there is enough heat someone has to pay the price.

I agree 100% that the ncaa is not going to do squat. With that said, Creighton has already been implicated in arguably the biggest scandal to hit college basketball. That’s not good and is a serious black eye for a program and fanbase the believe they “do things right” and are super uppity. The excuse making and delusion that is currently happening in Omaha right now is downright laughable. 

59 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Not one...ONE...NCAA rep is at this trial

Shouldn’t read too much into that:

“The government has asked the NCAA to hold off on interviewing certain witnesses while the case is ongoing, according to a court document filed Friday by the U.S. Attorneys Office of the Southern District of New York, likely making any kind of in-depth investigation useless until its cases are closed.”

34 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Shouldn’t read too much into that:

“The government has asked the NCAA to hold off on interviewing certain witnesses while the case is ongoing, according to a court document filed Friday by the U.S. Attorneys Office of the Southern District of New York, likely making any kind of in-depth investigation useless until its cases are closed.”

I'm only talking about sheer presence. You don't think the NCAA would at least want to send someone there to just sit in on the trials if they honestly cared?

2 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

Think there was speculation when Murphy was hired and the connections he had. They were moving into the Big East and knew they had to recruit at a higher level. I like Mac so hope he is not involved but I do not see how he would not have been. However I do not like the majority of their fans so it will be nice watching them back track and make excuses.

If he was not involved, then he should have been.  That is a lot of payola.  If he was unaware, then he has another problem, that would be lack of institutional control.

2 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

I sort of agree, but sort of don't.  The NCAA shouldn't have to take care of this.  This should go directly to a very direct question to the Creighton administration.  What will the Creighton administration do about this?  Are they going to deny that this offer was made, despite it being made under oath, in a court of law.  Take a few minutes and peruse the Creighton University Code of Conduct.  Once reviewed, explain to me how nothing will happen.  Either change the code, or adhere to the code.  If a student breaks that code, he/she is likely bounced from the University.  Most contracts (held by the coaching staff) have similar or more stringent codes within them.  Just saying...

25 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I sort of agree, but sort of don't.  The NCAA shouldn't have to take care of this.  This should go directly to a very direct question to the Creighton administration.  What will the Creighton administration do about this?  Are they going to deny that this offer was made, despite it being made under oath, in a court of law.  Take a few minutes and peruse the Creighton University Code of Conduct.  Once reviewed, explain to me how nothing will happen.  Either change the code, or adhere to the code.  If a student breaks that code, he/she is likely bounced from the University.  Most contracts (held by the coaching staff) have similar or more stringent codes within them.  Just saying...

I'm only talking about NCAA sanctions. I completely agree that Murphy would lose his job if it's proven that he offered cash. But that would be more or less taken care of in-house. These things are done in a way that there's no trace to the head coach or the university.

2 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

The excuse making and delusion that is currently happening in Omaha right now is downright laughable. 

This is what fans do. They find a way to twist things (in their head) so that the team/school they love so dearly remains untarnished to them. But I think this is the normal human reaction. If your kid gets in trouble, your first thought is "Not MY kid!" It's no different here. We'll learn more as these trials progress and I'm sure that will change people's thoughts and feelings.

But until then, I absolutely LOVE watching Creighton fans squirm! Can't wait for December 8th!

Edited by dustystehl

11 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

This is what fans do. They find a way to twist things (in their head) so that the team/school they love so dearly remains untarnished to them. But I think this is the normal human reaction. If your kid gets in trouble, your first thought is "Not MY kid!" It's no different here. We'll learn more as these trials progress and I'm sure that will change people's thoughts and feelings.

But until then, I absolutely LOVE watching Creighton fans squirm! Can't wait for December 8th!

The fans is one thing, I understand their reaction. The Creighton guys in our local media though - that is a little silly. Those guys are going back in forth between everyone does it and no one cares. People do care and this should be a pretty big story locally. God knows if this we're Nebraska Football or Basketball that got accused of this, it would be front page news across the state and radio wouldn't shut up about it. 

If the FBI put the witness on the stand and gave him immunity in exchange for cooperation, it very, very likely means:

1.  They already knew what he was going to say.

2.  They already have proof that the payment offers were made.  

I don't think the NCAA is going to have much of a say at all, but more of a reaction to whatever the FBI concludes.  

Creighton is cooked.  

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

The fans is one thing, I understand their reaction. The Creighton guys in our local media though - that is a little silly. Those guys are going back in forth between everyone does it and no one cares. People do care and this should be a pretty big story locally. God knows if this we're Nebraska Football or Basketball that got accused of this, it would be front page news across the state and radio wouldn't shut up about it. 

I assume you're talking primarily about 1620 The Zone and John Nyatawa? What would you rather they do with what are (for the time being) just allegations? And they're fans, too. I'm sure it sucks and isn't easy to talk about.

I'm just being real. Nobody wants to see Creighton get hit with sanctions more than I do. But if North Carolina gets (essentially) no penalty for creating FAKE classes, I don't imagine Creighton will receive punishment for offering money to a recruit through a third party.

Edited by dustystehl