FBI Ramification

Pretty obvious one of 3 things is going on here.

1. CU is knowingly cheating ... and they're really bad at it, based on on-court results.
  2. CU was trying to cheat but didn't actually succeed ... which, in the current college hoops environment, is almost more pathetic than actually cheating.
  3. A CU assistant coach went rogue and the AD and Gregie knew nothing about it ... which is pretty damning to those two that they have no idea what's going on in their program ... and, of course, you'd have to ignore the several direct phone calls from Dawkins to Gregie over a short period of time. Highly unlikely.

Also pretty funny that the AD has no comment on Thursday "until we have more information" - then after TCU and LSU suspend coaches related to this latest information, CU suddenly finds its moral compass and suspends its assistant coach. ?  Boy, they must have found a ton of information in less than 24 hours to go from "no comment" to a suspension.

Edited by throwback

• 1 month later...

"One piece of evidence presented was a copy of a text message between Code and Dawkins listing coaches in advance of their meeting in Las Vegas in July 2017, with one of them listing former Nebraska assistant Kenya Hunter, who left in 2018 for UConn. Code's text to Dawkins states, "Do we need to do Kenya? I think we have done enough for them to see value. Can Kenya really get dudes?" There is no reference to Hunter getting paid."

Hard to precisely determine if this is good or bad.  Hate to see Coach Hunter mentioned, and even worse to see Nebraska mentioned.  The good news is the last line!

Well, if the NCAA was ever going to do anything, this is the perfect opportunity, as the FBI will have done all the investigative work. And coaches/schools have to speak to the FBI, so they can do a more thorough investigation than the NCAA could ever do.

But I imagine this will drag out for a while. And the NCAA isn't going to do anything till the FBI is finished. So I can't imagine we'd see any ramifications for a couple of years at least. 

Maybe by that time the team to the east will figure out that placing a coach on administrative leave isn't a permanent solution. 

Why would the NCAA do anything to endanger their vast bureaucracy when their salaries are being subsidized by us fans who watch games on television networks, go to games and bet on the games? If every team strictly adhered to every NCAA rule, most games would resemble Division II or III games and the elite teams would resemble those in the Ivy League. Would the fans follow the games with the same intensity? The FBI stumbled into this only while investigating an unrelated crime. Only expect a token follow-up by the NCAA to keep up their appearance as a righteous organization. They are really about maintaining the status quo.

19 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Why would the NCAA do anything to endanger their vast bureaucracy when their salaries are being subsidized by us fans who watch games on television networks, go to games and bet on the games? If every team strictly adhered to every NCAA rule, most games would resemble Division II or III games and the elite teams would resemble those in the Ivy League. Would the fans follow the games with the same intensity? The FBI stumbled into this only while investigating an unrelated crime. Only expect a token follow-up by the NCAA to keep up their appearance as a righteous organization. They are really about maintaining the status quo.

If every team strictly adhered to the rules, traveling would be called again!

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

That would be interesting to see.

I feel people root for Laundry...so I think it would affect it some, might not be as much as we expect.

If quality of play was the primary reason people watched, I think you would see people leaving the NCAA game for the G-League or oveseas premier leagues....but they don't.

14 hours ago, throwback said:

Well, if the NCAA was ever going to do anything, this is the perfect opportunity, as the FBI will have done all the investigative work. And coaches/schools have to speak to the FBI, so they can do a more thorough investigation than the NCAA could ever do.

But I imagine this will drag out for a while. And the NCAA isn't going to do anything till the FBI is finished. So I can't imagine we'd see any ramifications for a couple of years at least. 

Maybe by that time the team to the east will figure out that placing a coach on administrative leave isn't a permanent solution. 

There are way too many teams involved to start handing out sanctions. I think the NCAA will form some kind of committee after this trial is over to show they're trying to do something, and have that committee decide on a new set of recruiting rules with laid out sanctions for those that break the rules going forward. 

3 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

That would be interesting to see.

I feel people root for Laundry...so I think it would affect it some, might not be as much as we expect.

If quality of play was the primary reason people watched, I think you would see people leaving the NCAA game for the G-League or oveseas premier leagues....but they don't.

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 2:20 PM, Blindcheck said:

Sadly, I doubt anything much comes from this...unless the NCAA completely changes how they investigate and penalize.

There may be hope, yet …

"Those top coaches that were mentioned in the trials where the information shows what was being said was a violation of NCAA rules, yes. They will be all part of these notices of allegations," Wilcox told CBS Sports.

Wilcox declined to identify the schools that will receive notices of allegations.

"I would just say that it's clear when you look at the number of cases that were listed by the Southern District of New York, those numbers are more than likely to be reflected in the number of cases that are going to be moving forward," he said.