FBI Ramification

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

There isn't at this time. There is some stink on Duke as they got a guy who allegedly was asking for money but you can look at Michigan St as a school as a school that Bowen could have gone to that wasn't going to pay him.

Was the investigation on Bowen coming from an FBI office in the state of Michigan?  Maybe Michigan State was tipped off and deliberately steered clear on this one.  Or maybe they're clean in this regard.

2 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

That is why they need to hammer them.

5 years no NCAA Tournmanents and 2 years of no non conference home games.

Hell, yes. Hammer 'em. 

Vacated title, my ass. Those fans still have those memories, that YouTube video, those ugly-ass t-shirts. None of those will say "But we really didn't win it because it was vacated." Crush 'em into little SMU pellets.

Would think with another blueblood getting brought up the NCAA will have to do something other than limiting an assistant coach or two to on-campus recruiting. 

The minimum should be:

1. 2 year post season ban, including conference tournament.

2. Scholarship limit of 5 players for 5 years.

3. All money received from participating in NCAA tourney the last 12 years returned.

4. All championship banners will display a contrasting color $. With another banner displayed stating that the ($ denotes championship won with purchased player and family)  And if they don't want to do that. All banners must be removed as well as depictions of any former players and/or coaches.

Edited by rr52

10 hours ago, rr52 said:

Would think with another blueblood getting brought up the NCAA will have to do something other than limiting an assistant coach or two to on-campus recruiting. 

The minimum should be:

1. 2 year post season ban, including conference tournament.

2. Scholarship limit of 5 players for 5 years.

3. All money received from participating in NCAA tourney the last 12 years returned.

4. All championship banners will display a contrasting color $. With another banner displayed stating that the ($ denotes championship won with purchased player and family)  And if they don't want to do that. All banners must be removed as well as depictions of any former players and/or coaches.

Plus, every fan gets a special treatment:

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

And you don't have to go to class or take tests.  Booyah.

So that's great, the top 25 or so "elite" HS prospects will go to the G-League to make $125 grand over the table while the next 25 or so will go to Kansas, Duke, et al and get theirs under the table.

Salary pool just got bigger, boys!

I've always liked the idea for college football that the NFL should invest in a developmental league and pay players $100,000 a year with the promise of a college scholarship should they want to pursue that. The new D-League would use the infrastructure already established at colleges and universities across the country, but take over the management function.

For example, the Kansas City Chiefs would have D-League teams in Manhattan, Lawrence, Columbia and Lincoln. The teams would be called the "Kansas State Wildcats," the "Kansas Jayhawks," the "Missouri Tigers," and the "Nebraska Cornhuskers." The players would still be of college age, and those that take advantage of the scholarship offer would be taking classes during their time in those college towns, or they'd be future students at those universities. The NFL would also take on the burden of scouting and hiring players for the D-League teams, though some level of employee choice would still be a part of an ideal plan.

From the revenue generated by the D-League, each NFL team would also make contributions to the general athletics funds to help support non-revenue sports at their partner universities. Because the scholarship function would be funded by the NFL, each university would then also have 85 more scholarships to help re-establish or establish other sports for men, especially soccer, wrestling, gymnastics and swimming, sports that have been eliminated at too many universities.

This new NBA G-League plan could be the first step to something similar in basketball. Or the basketball developmental system could grow and play out in a similar fashion to how professional baseball co-exists with college baseball, making the latter less competitive, but purer from the standpoint of ethics and sportsmanship.

Edited by jayschool

32 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

The NCAA is going to say that these guys are the wrongdoers and their sentencing will be enough

pretty much.

good to see the NBA get involved. its painfully obvious to everyone  (even if the NCAA acts like its a non-issue) that the top HS players have a certain level of market value. Because of bullshit amateurism rules, players don't get what the market has determined is their 'fair share'. The NCAA can pretend that this value doesn't exist, but in a capitalistic society everyone  wants to get paid what they're worth. Its at this point that avenues of payment, usually involving fraud or deception, come into play. Simplest solution is to just bring it all on the up and up. Just pay the freaking players.

3 minutes ago, bleujay said:

pretty much.

good to see the NBA get involved. its painfully obvious to everyone  (even if the NCAA acts like its a non-issue) that the top HS players have a certain level of market value. Because of bullshit amateurism rules, players don't get what the market has determined is their 'fair share'. The NCAA can pretend that this value doesn't exist, but in a capitalistic society everyone  wants to get paid what they're worth. Its at this point that avenues of payment, usually involving fraud or deception, come into play. Simplest solution is to just bring it all on the up and up. Just pay the freaking players.

The best solution, and simplest, i have heard is to let players make money off their own likeness. That way the school isnt paying the players and theres no issue between sports and genders. 

The question i have is do the top players actually have market value?

Using kansas as an example, if they get a top 10 recruit .... does their revenue increase...if they don't get him...does it decrease? If the top 25 recruits go to the NBA G league...and kansas now gets recruit 35 instead of recruit 10...does it affect the revenue streams of KU. Also, if these players are so valuable...I imagine that the G league would see a dramatic increase in revenue.

IMO, Fans generally root for their schools not individuals, until they wear the jersey of their team.

Do the players add value, yes...but how much, that is a tough number to figure...and it may or may not be higher than the value of a scholarship.

26 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

The question i have is do the top players actually have market value?

Absolutely. Your market value is what someone will pay.  Brian Bowen's market value was $100k from Adidas.

The market value for Syracuse decommit Darius Bazley is minimally $200k for a year and potentially $14 mil over 5 years

On 10/25/2018 at 2:55 PM, hhcmatt said:

Absolutely. Your market value is what someone will pay.  Brian Bowen's market value was $100k from Adidas.

The market value for Syracuse decommit Darius Bazley is minimally $200k for a year and potentially $14 mil over 5 years

I agree that you are worth what someone will pay...but let me rephrase it.

Does an individual player add value to the University more than someone else?

Example if you don't sign player A that you were willing to pay 1 million dollars, and you sign player B of Zero....is the University going to have less revenue because they were unable to sign Player A (Basically is he actually accretive to revenue)...

My belief is that it is a very rare occasion that any individual is accretive to revenue?

24 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I agree that you are worth what someone will pay...but let me rephrase it.

Does an individual player add value to the University more than someone else?

Example if you don't sign player A that you were willing to pay 1 million dollars, and you sign player B of Zero....is the University going to have less revenue because they were unable to sign Player A (Basically is he actually accretive to revenue)...

My belief is that it is a very rare occasion that any individual is accretive to revenue?

5 star basketball players are more like lottery tickets than widgets

Louisville was in Conference USA in 2005.  Today a Conference USA team is paid $400k per year in TV revenue.  That number is $26.6 million for ACC schools.

A better basketball player possibly means a better team

A better team could yield such things as

- increased enrollment

- increased merchandise revenue

- increased ticket revenue

- ability to command more for broadcasting rights

- ability to command more from advertisers

- ability to secure more money from public/boosters to fund items such as facilities 

- eventually a better conference

etc etc etc

If someone is making the argument that these Power 5 schools are making millions of dollars off of these players in exchange for an inadequate amount of compensation, then I'd love for you to come speak to my boss about them making millions off of revenue that our team generates for the company. I can either choose to continue working for the market value I signed up for, move on to something else, or start something of my own. The company's money isn't my money.

14 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

If someone is making the argument that these Power 5 schools are making millions of dollars off of these players in exchange for an inadequate amount of compensation, then I'd love for you to come speak to my boss about them making millions off of revenue that our team generates for the company. I can either choose to continue working for the market value I signed up for, move on to something else, or start something of my own. The company's money isn't my money.

That's what the players want too.  

17 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

5 star basketball players are more like lottery tickets than widgets

Louisville was in Conference USA in 2005.  Today a Conference USA team is paid $400k per year in TV revenue.  That number is $26.6 million for ACC schools.

A better basketball player possibly means a better team

A better team could yield such things as

- increased enrollment

- increased merchandise revenue

- increased ticket revenue

- ability to command more for broadcasting rights

- ability to command more from advertisers

- ability to secure more money from public/boosters to fund items such as facilities 

- eventually a better conference

etc etc etc

Ok, but if in theory all the 5 star basketball players go to the G league....and only 4 star players are available...I still think the same schools will get those recruits...which tells me that the name on the front is still more important to revenue generation than the name on the back.

What will tell us if the players hold the value is if fans start following the G league instead of high end college basketball, because the top players start choosing the G league instead of Duke, Kansas, etc.

I personally think the players that go to Duke or Kansas in the end get more from the university than they would get without that showcase.