FBI Ramification

54 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Had money actually exchanged hands, Creighton would've easily been able to hide it in their "expand wider hallways" projects too.

I wondered about this "offering" thing.  I'm smelling a booster(s) in cahoots with Murphy.  I can't see the Creighton athletic department not missing $100K. 

Edited by hal9000

17 minutes ago, hal9000 said:

I wondered about this "offering" thing.  I'm smelling a booster(s) in cahoots with Murphy.  I can't see the Creighton athletic department not missing $100K. 

Maybe for the lucrative job.  But the cash offer would have come from (presumably) Nike, right?  Isn't this what the whole deal is about?  Shoe companies and agents/coaches colluding to defraud the universities and the federal government (because somehow pell grant fraud is involved)?

3 hours ago, dustystehl said:

I assume you're talking primarily about 1620 The Zone and John Nyatawa? What would you rather they do with what are (for the time being) just allegations? And they're fans, too. I'm sure it sucks and isn't easy to talk about.

I'm just being real. Nobody wants to see Creighton get hit with sanctions more than I do. But if North Carolina gets (essentially) no penalty for creating FAKE classes, I don't imagine Creighton will receive punishment for offering money to a recruit through a third party.

At least as opposed to downplaying it - say if these are true Murphy should be canned and Coach McD on the hot seat. Instead of - 'Ah shucks everyone does it". I'm not even saying they should get hit with sanctions but Bahe, Bishop, Peterson seemed to brush it off as - "It isn't true and even if it was, who cares."

9 hours ago, Coaches kid said:

A friend of mine works with a bunch of Creighton alums. They told him because Nebraska was not on the list of schools to make illegal offers, it was proof we were not a "big time" program. Mentality being, if you don't cheat, you're not a real basketball school. Typical Creighton mentality. 

Your reply should have been you can't even pay someone a $100,000 to go to that shit hole.

59 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

At least as opposed to downplaying it - say if these are true Murphy should be canned and Coach McD on the hot seat. Instead of - 'Ah shucks everyone does it". I'm not even saying they should get hit with sanctions but Bahe, Bishop, Peterson seemed to brush it off as - "It isn't true and even if it was, who cares."

They're university employees what else can they say.

14 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Can you imagine if Nebraska football had been implicated in a major recruiting scandal and it came out they offered 100K to a prized recruit? I can guarentee you their tune would be quite different.

24 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Can you imagine if Nebraska football had been implicated in a major recruiting scandal and it came out they offered 100K to a prized recruit? I can guarentee you their tune would be quite different.

Over on Red Sea Scrolls, where Jay-led trashing of Nebrasketball has been vicious and unrelenting for a very long time, the discussion on this Jay subject (after an initially flurry when the story broke) has been non-existent.  The contrast is stark and fascinating.

3 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I believe they had Bishop and like Damon come in to studio at like 8pm when the Bo Pelini tape dropped. Let alone a scandal like this. That story would be 24/7 in the papers and on the radio. Local news channels would be outside of Memorial Stadium reporting on who was entering and leaving the stadium.

4 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Can you imagine if Nebraska football had been implicated in a major recruiting scandal and it came out they offered 100K to a prized recruit? I can guarantee you their tune would be quite different.

Easily.  A large group of people care about Nebraska football.

• 2 weeks later...

Get this:

“ If you wanted to hear the juiciest details at Tuesday’s session of the ongoing federal conspiracy trial . . . : that Kansas assistant Kurtis Townsend was caught on a wiretap expressing a willingness to provide money and other benefits in exchange for No. 4 overall 2018 recruit Zion Williamson (who is now a freshman at Duke), and that LSU coach Will Wade was similarly recorded expressing to a middleman a willingness to “fund” another recruit’s commitment.”

The disheartening thing is that minor infractions get harsh punishments for those who try to play by the rules.  Remember the Robert Sallee debacle, which was based on a self-reported technicality?  One of the Conference votes against Sallee's eligibility was [drumroll] Kansas.  Yet Kansas gets to pay for players and keep on dribbling like nothing is amiss.  North Carolina gets to bend the academic rules with no negative consequence.  And it now looks like Duke is less-than-clean as well.

Perhaps there needs to be two NCAA divisions for basketball:  (i) Division "Cheat"--comprised of those schools who want to cheat grandly, and (ii) Division "Try To Not Cheat"--composed of those schools who try to play by the rules.

4 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

The disheartening thing is that minor infractions get harsh punishments for those who try to play by the rules.  Remember the Robert Sallee debacle, which was based on a self-reported technicality?  One of the Conference votes against Sallee's eligibility was [drumroll] Kansas.  Yet Kansas gets to pay for players and keep on dribbling like nothing is amiss.  North Carolina gets to bend the academic rules with no negative consequence.  And it now looks like Duke is less-than-clean as well.

Perhaps there needs to be two NCAA divisions for basketball:  (i) Division "Cheat"--comprised of those schools who want to cheat grandly, and (ii) Division "Try To Not Cheat"--composed of those schools who try to play by the rules.

Is there evidence that Duke has been cheating? I hadn’t heard that.

Just now, MandRHusker said:

Is there evidence that Duke has been cheating? I hadn’t heard that.

There isn't at this time. There is some stink on Duke as they got a guy who allegedly was asking for money but you can look at Michigan St as a school as a school that Bowen could have gone to that wasn't going to pay him.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

There isn't at this time. There is some stink on Duke as they got a guy who allegedly was asking for money but you can look at Michigan St as a school as a school that Bowen could have gone to that wasn't going to pay him.

Bowen didn't commit to MSU either.  Maybe money (or lack of the offer thereof) was one of the reasons why?

OTOH, Duke got a kid who was apparently asking for money, and for many, there would be an implication that they were the highest bidder.

2 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

IF the NCAA ever gets around to investigating and punishing these schools...it needs to be significant...IMO, it needs to turn programs like Kansas into SMU football....If they have cheated like this, they built their prestige on a lie, and need to get hammered.

And if you asked a school like Louisville if it was worth it, I'm sure (not publically admitting it) they would say yes. I haven't looked at the hard numbers for AD budgets or even the university budget at that school, but based on that facilities and contracts they have in place, they've grown their in to a level they likely never would have obtained without cheating.

It has been a number of years ago, but I remember being part of a debate that the best way to advance your team in college basketball was to cheat.  If you don't get caught, you will have an elite team; and if you do get caught, you will simply get your hand slapped, but you will still have a great team.  

It is hard to refute that mindset.  It seems the best coaches are those that can discreetly cheat and get away with it.

2 hours ago, Swan88 said:

I like that, except that we'd be playing up a division when we played Creighton. I prefer Division D(irty) vs. Division C(lean).

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

And if you asked a school like Louisville if it was worth it, I'm sure (not publically admitting it) they would say yes. I haven't looked at the hard numbers for AD budgets or even the university budget at that school, but based on that facilities and contracts they have in place, they've grown their in to a level they likely never would have obtained without cheating.

That is why they need to hammer them.

5 years no NCAA Tournmanents and 2 years of no non conference home games.

Edited by Blindcheck