New Rules for the NIT

Dean Smith

2 minutes ago, northwillriseagain said:

They can change the rules? Odd. 

They do this every single year. Last year had the four 10-minute segment rule as well. They do this to experiment with proposed changes that they can roll out to future seasons.

This just shows you how valueless the NCAA finds the NIT.

4 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Actually the 10 minute quaters make the game shorter, with only one break at the under 5 minute mark. but I don't like the two foul shot rule. It puts a bad FT shooting team on equal terms with good shooting ones so to speak.

If I recall, I'm pretty sure that's how Georgia Tech beat Indiana last year. But hey, they went on to the NIT Championships, so who am I to judge?

1 hour ago, 49r said:

I like the idea of extending the three point line.

I'm not sure I like that one. I feel like the same percentage of 3s would be taken even with a further 3-point line, leading to decreased 3-point FG %, and ultimately a lower quality game. I might be wrong, though. I wonder how the 3-point attempts changed the last time the line was moved back 8-9 years ago or so.

Just now, Ron Mexico said:

I'm OK with all of them except for the 4 10min quarters. 20 min halves is on of the things that makes CBB unique.

Those 4 10 minute quarters has been going on in the NIT since at least last year. It really made no change. There was no quarter. The clock just stopped when it hit the '10 or under' count. The major impact to this format is the fouls.

It's also been a number of years that women's college basketball has been using this format. There's been a lot of experimentation with it and I wouldn't be surprised if it starts to find its way into men's college basketball.

1 minute ago, Ron Mexico said:

I'm OK with all of them except for the 4 10min quarters. 20 min halves is on of the things that makes CBB unique.

The good things about it would be that media time outs are at a more natural time, and I believe one would be eliminated each half.  Other than that, I get what you are saying, but maybe we would learn to like it.  

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:53 PM, throwback said:

They missed an important rule change - vintage NIT red, white and blue basketballs, please.

I was about to raise that same question. There was a time when the ABA had a lot more "Street Cred" than the NBA and better players too. Dr. J, the Iceman, David Thompson, George McGinnis etc.

I still like the NIT format with home games until the final four better.

I hate watching these NCAA tourney games where the stadium is 80% empty for all but one game each day at most venues.

When they put these big events in big cities like New york, they end up being a bunch of empty seats....put it in Omaha or Des Moines and they can fill the joints.

Well, If they're gonna move the B1G Tournament around, (which they won't) since Maryland and Rutgers have now been thrown a bone. Why not have it in Omaha, or Milwaukee, or Minneapolis? I get they want to expand the "Footprint" East, but like Blincheck said, at least people in the Midwest will show up.

9 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Well, If they're gonna move the B1G Tournament around, (which they won't) since Maryland and Rutgers have now been thrown a bone. Why not have it in Omaha, or Milwaukee, or Minneapolis? I get they want to expand the "Footprint" East, but like Blincheck said, at least people in the Midwest will show up.

Yeah, you put the BTT in Omaha and I can almost guarantee you that you will sell more tickets than in NY.

They won't be going for $3 either.

Not that I'm giving up on NCAA berth, but thought I'd collect a list of NIT automatic qualifiers here (teams that won or tied for regular season championships but lost in conference tournaments & won't receive at-large NCAA berths or are on NCAA bubble).

If we make the NIT we'll be a #1 or #2 seed, which means we'd likely play one of these types of teams in the opening round, as a lot of them likely be #7 or #8 seeds in each region.

Again, not giving up - more of a curiosity as to who will be in the NIT field & who could be coming to PBA, since we haven't hosted an NIT game in a decade.

NIT Automatic Qualifiers (lost in conference tournaments)

• Canisius – MAAC (RPI 125)
  • Fla Gulf Coast – Atlantic Sun (RPI 167)
  • N Kentucky – Horizon (RPI 114)
  • Rider – MAAC (RPI 65)
  • UNC Asheville – Big South (RPI 121)

Potential NIT Automatic Qualifiers (still playing in conf tournaments)

• Bethune-Cookman – MEAC
  • Bucknell – Patriot
  • Buffalo – MAC
  • Charleston – Colonial
  • Hampton – MEAC
  • Harvard – Ivy
  • Louisiana – Sun Belt
  • Mid Tenn St – Conf USA
  • Montana – Big Sky
  • New Mexico St – WAC
  • Nicholls – Southland
  • Northeastern – Colonial
  • Penn – Ivy
  • S Dakota St – Summit
  • Savannah St – MEAC
  • SE Louisiana – Southland
  • UC Davis – Big West
  • UNC Greensboro – Southern
  • Vermont – America East
  • Wagner – Northeast
  • Arkansas-PB – SWAC ?? (they finished 2nd to Grambling, but Grambling is not eligible for postseason play, so I'm not sure if APB becomes a potential NIT qualifier or if the SWAC just loses its potential slot)

26 minutes ago, throwback said:

Not that I'm giving up on NCAA berth, but thought I'd collect a list of NIT automatic qualifiers here (teams that won or tied for regular season championships but lost in conference tournaments & won't receive at-large NCAA berths or are on NCAA bubble).

If we make the NIT we'll be a #1 or #2 seed, which means we'd likely play one of these types of teams in the opening round, as a lot of them likely be #7 or #8 seeds in each region.

Again, not giving up - more of a curiosity as to who will be in the NIT field & who could be coming to PBA, since we haven't hosted an NIT game in a decade.

NIT Automatic Qualifiers (lost in conference tournaments)

• Canisius – MAAC (RPI 125)
  • Fla Gulf Coast – Atlantic Sun (RPI 167)
  • N Kentucky – Horizon (RPI 114)
  • Rider – MAAC (RPI 65)
  • UNC Asheville – Big South (RPI 121)

Potential NIT Automatic Qualifiers (still playing in conf tournaments)

• Bethune-Cookman – MEAC
  • Bucknell – Patriot
  • Buffalo – MAC
  • Charleston – Colonial
  • Hampton – MEAC
  • Harvard – Ivy
  • Louisiana – Sun Belt
  • Mid Tenn St – Conf USA
  • Montana – Big Sky
  • New Mexico St – WAC
  • Nicholls – Southland
  • Northeastern – Colonial
  • Penn – Ivy
  • S Dakota St – Summit
  • Savannah St – MEAC
  • SE Louisiana – Southland
  • UC Davis – Big West
  • UNC Greensboro – Southern
  • Vermont – America East
  • Wagner – Northeast
  • Arkansas-PB – SWAC ?? (they finished 2nd to Grambling, but Grambling is not eligible for postseason play, so I'm not sure if APB becomes a potential NIT qualifier or if the SWAC just loses its potential slot)

Can we just play Rider in a road game this week to pick up a quadrant 1 win please?