Circular Reasoning

Norm Peterson

"Nebraska sucks and the Big Ten is down."

Well, but how do you know Nebraska sucks?

"Because the Big Ten is down; they only went through there like a hot knife through butter because the Big Ten sucks."

Well, but how do you know the Big Ten sucks this year?

"Because a sucky team like Nebraska was able to go 13-5 in conference."

So, because Nebraska did well against the conference, it's proof the conference is down and because the conference is down, it proves Nebraska sucks?

"Pretty much, yes."

OK, thanks Stewie.

Edited by Norm Peterson

I’ve been told, from Nebraska fans, that Nebraska sucks(as does Miles) and we’re lucky that the BIG was so bad that they bought Miles another year.

Now, if Nebraska still sucked, wouldn’t they have sucked with the rest.

The same person on the other page said that it’s incredibly top heavy, then only included the top 3 teams. Yes the top of the BIG has won against the rest, but if you look deeper, you’d understand that those “bottom feeders” were in most of the games with the top teams.

The problem here is most of the pundits and “fans” barely actually watch any games, and would rather follow the hollow narratives that were made in November.

We are definitely fighting a name recognition bias. If it was Maryland, Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois, and even Iowa with our conference record they would be a lock and most likely ranked in the top 25 and our less than favorable metrics would be somewhat overlooked. Have to hope the committee sees through some of that.

According to USA Today/Coaches Poll Top 25 votes, we are currently ranked 33rd in the country.  

There should be absolutely no issue as to whether we're in the tournament or not.

This is so dumb.  

Whatever.  

Give Miles an extension.  Whether or not we are actually selected, we made the tournament in my eyes and he and staff have done a tremendous job this season.  

Talk radio yesterday in Cedar Rapids with hosts and Mike Hlas of the Gazette. I paraphrase:

"Nebraska probably has the most to prove in the tournament. I mean, I don't get how a 13-5 Big Ten record isn't enough, but that's what the pundits are saying, so they have the most motivation, which means they have a great chance to win a couple of games and maybe the whole thing."

43 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Talk radio yesterday in Cedar Rapids with hosts and Mike Hlas of the Gazette. I paraphrase:

"Nebraska probably has the most to prove in the tournament. I mean, I don't get how a 13-5 Big Ten record isn't enough, but that's what the pundits are saying, so they have the most motivation, which means they have a great chance to win a couple of games and maybe the whole thing."

I'm with them. And I know the team has that mindset. Miles said their eyes are on winning the Big Ten tournament, not Selection Sunday.

Leave no doubt in the committee's minds and no doubt that if the PBA hosts a watch party we're not caught on camera with disappointment that we didn't get selected.

I'm much more confident in this team than our 2014 squad to do some work in the conference tournament.

I still look at the eye test and believe we are every bit as good as teams considered locks.  Didn’t we beat Michigan by 20? Michigan St was fortunate to get out of Madison with a victory, both Rutgers and Illinois showed they could play with the top teams.  I don’t see a great team anywhere so many teams that get hot could cut down the nets.   Despite all the above, we had better beat Michigan again.

Just a list of things that bug me about selection for the NCAA tournament

1. Getting in or not could come down to a last second three that fell from the corner vs KU. If that shot falls off, we are in.

2. If teams beat us it is a good win for their resume but we are not a good enough to be in the tournament?

3. Why is Iowa State not being considered?  If everyone else in the Big 12 should get in like some think, then surly Iowa State should be in for having to play everyone one of their conference games against an NCAA team.

4. As someone noted earlier, if we are ranked in the top 35 in the nation, you would think we would be in.

5. It is not like we tried to schedule softly.  I thought it was a very competitive schedule, some teams just tanked.  I also think the Big Ten teams are playing better now than earlier in the season. (except Minnesota who was very good when we beat them)

6. We have a great story line: The only power conference team not to win an NCAA tournament game.

7.  What ever happened to playing your best ball at the end of the season counting for something?

8. Where were the bracket buster games when we needed one? 

The quote that got me from the Bruce R interview says a lot.  "The best 68 teams don't get in."

This has bugged me for years and I think the auto-bid is something that needs changed.  I know that the little guys need some love too, but it just isn't right that a 68 team tournament to decide who is the best basketball team in the nation doesn't involve the best 68 teams.

That's a whole nother topic however from our bubble chances.

Just now, hskr4life said:

The quote that got me from the Bruce R interview says a lot.  "The best 68 teams don't get in."

This has bugged me for years and I think the auto-bid is something that needs changed.  I know that the little guys need some love too, but it just isn't right that a 68 team tournament to decide who is the best basketball team in the nation doesn't involve the best 68 teams.

That's a whole nother topic however from our bubble chances.

I like the auto bids...because every team controls their destiny to win the national title, qwin your conference tourney and win 6 games (or 7 in some instances) and you are national champs.

Nobody can with all certainty pick the top 68 teams....they can't even pick the best 4 in football...

Why we allow a system that is more similar to judging a beauty pageant in basketball and football to choose our participants in the national title tournament is beyond me.

I would prefer a system in both football and basketball that qualifying for the tournament was based solely on how your wins and losses.

3 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

I still look at the eye test and believe we are every bit as good as teams considered locks.  Didn’t we beat Michigan by 20? Michigan St was fortunate to get out of Madison with a victory, both Rutgers and Illinois showed they could play with the top teams.  I don’t see a great team anywhere so many teams that get hot could cut down the nets.   Despite all the above, we had better beat Michigan again.

Based on my own personal (completely unbiased) eye test after watching 25-30 games the last 3 weeks we are much better than K State, Texas and UCLA right now. On a neutral court we would beat Baylor, USC, and Providence right now fairly handily. I haven't seen the Bonnies or Miss. St. play since mid-season so ?. Louisville would be an interesting game, as would V Tech. I would have to give both of them a slight edge, but it would be a good battle. The 'Cuse doesn't have near the length they had in the past to make the zone work, so if you can flash a tall shooter to the free throw line you can completely discombobulate the zone. We have 3 guys who can do it: Copeland, Roby, and Palmer. Plus "Cuse's offense is not very good. I think we would beat them in an ugly game by 8-12 points. Of course, none of that matters to the bean counters. 

3 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Just a list of things that bug me about selection for the NCAA tournament

1. Getting in or not could come down to a last second three that fell from the corner vs KU. If that shot falls off, we are in.

2. If teams beat us it is a good win for their resume but we are not a good enough to be in the tournament?

3. Why is Iowa State not being considered?  If everyone else in the Big 12 should get in like some think, then surly Iowa State should be in for having to play everyone one of their conference games against an NCAA team.

4. As someone noted earlier, if we are ranked in the top 35 in the nation, you would think we would be in.

5. It is not like we tried to schedule softly.  I thought it was a very competitive schedule, some teams just tanked.  I also think the Big Ten teams are playing better now than earlier in the season. (except Minnesota who was very good when we beat them)

6. We have a great story line: The only power conference team not to win an NCAA tournament game.

7.  What ever happened to playing your best ball at the end of the season counting for something?

8. Where were the bracket buster games when we needed one? 

These two are excellent thoughts.  I believe that is what is driving most of us crazy the most.

9 hours ago, northwillriseagain said:

I’ve been told, from Nebraska fans, that Nebraska sucks(as does Miles) and we’re lucky that the BIG was so bad that they bought Miles another year.

Now, if Nebraska still sucked, wouldn’t they have sucked with the rest.

The same person on the other page said that it’s incredibly top heavy, then only included the top 3 teams. Yes the top of the BIG has won against the rest, but if you look deeper, you’d understand that those “bottom feeders” were in most of the games with the top teams.

The problem here is most of the pundits and “fans” barely actually watch any games, and would rather follow the hollow narratives that were made in November.

Exactly. Just like how I barely watch the Pac 12, and thus you can't trust what I'd have to say in any serious manner. ;)

4 minutes ago, meerkat68901 said:

Sorry if this has been posted, but this is the current conference breakdown of the top 15 of the AP:

B1G-4

ACC-3

AAC-2

Big XII-2

Big East-2

SEC-1

WCC-1

Tell me again how the B1G is so much worse than the SEC!

“Big Ten is top heavy”

speaking of circular reasoning

they use the exact opposite direction as they do with Nebrasketball for the other conferences.  Losing to bottom dwellers in the SEC, B12, B.E. Just means that every team should be in.

4 minutes ago, northwillriseagain said:

“Big Ten is top heavy”

speaking of circular reasoning

they use the exact opposite direction as they do with Nebrasketball for the other conferences.  Losing to bottom dwellers in the SEC, B12, B.E. Just means that every team should be in.

I would get the top heavy claim if the top three/four hadn’t lost to any others, but Purdue lost to Wisconsin, OSU lost to PSU twice, and Michigan lost to Northwestern and Nebraska.