Big Ten Tournament

HuskerFever

1 minute ago, khoock said:

Rutgers leading Purduebat half...

And we beat Rutgers twice and once was on the road.  But this is a down league.

Would it be good for Nebrasketball if Rutgers won this one and then beat PSU?  What is Rutgers wins this one and then PSU beats them and then loses the championship!?!?  The win against Rutgers would be devastating for the PSU resume right?

Not an excuse, as we were nowhere near good enough yesterday, but the six teams that had byes and played teams that already had played a game on the MSG floor went 3-3 outright and 0-6 against the spread. All but NU were pretty significant favorites as well.

Thursday

• Mich –9 (L) vs Iowa
  • Ind -6 (L) vs Rutg

Friday

• MSU -12 (L) vs Wisc
  • Neb +5 (L) vs Mich
  • OSU -5.5 (L) vs PSU
  • Pur -15.5 (L) vs Rutg

I know NU was offered an 8 am EST shoot-around slot Friday and turned it down, understandably so when you'd have to sit around for 6+ hours afterward waiting for tip time. (And understandably so when that would be 7 a.m. Central time, which likely means a 5:30 am CST wake up call.)

So maybe the B1G needs to figure out how to give the teams with byes some practice time at a realistic hour in the arena a day or two before they play. Certainly wouldn't be easy, but there has to be a way to do it.

And I don't know what has been done in the past at other sites, or whether MSG presented specific problems with getting teams in for a practice session.

Edited by throwback

On those same lines, why did the B1G allow the teams that played the first game of the session (11 and 5:30 games) have an hour plus of shoot-around time, whereas the teams that played the second game of the session (1:30 and 8) only receive the 25 minutes between games? Shouldn't all teams playing that day receive the same amount of time on the floor?

Rather than giving the teams that were fortunate enough to draw the early game that extra warm-up time, they could've given the teams that had the byes the time between sessions to be on the floor for an hour. (They'd have to share the floor, but I'd bet the coaches would be OK with it, just to get some shoot-around time at a realistic hour.) So in other words, MSU & Neb could've had time on the floor at 9:30-10:30 Thursday and then the two teams playing Thursday could warm up for 25 minutes before their 11 am game. And OSU & Pur could've had shoot around time from 4-5 Thursday. 

Just seems odd that the first two teams in the session are given an hour plus of warm-up time and the other two teams in the session get only 25 minutes. And maybe it ended up having no effect on shooting percentages, etc.

Again, it's not why we lost, just seems odd.

HWhy don't you have an hour break in between games?  The 1st game starts at 11, usually lasts 2 hours, gets over at 1.  Why not start the 2nd game at 2.  Then, start the night games at 5:30 and 8:30.  I know that last game might be a little late, especially in EST.

18 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I hope Wagner comes back next year, and we find an OT to come in and make sure he takes out Wagner.  My hatred for Wagner surpasses my hatred for Luka Garza.

Screw next year.  I bet we play them again this year in the big dance.  You can either call me the eternal optimist, or the anti-nustudent.  Either one works.:)

30 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Our RPI is 60+, looks like the only teams who have has an RPI in the 60s to make the dance were 2011 USC (5 top 50 wins), 2011 Marquette (5 top 50 wins), 2007 Stanford (4 top 50 wins), 2006 NC State (4 top 50 wins).

well, it's not like things were looking especially good after yesterday anyway. But this is definitely a downer. I'm thinking a 2 seed in the NIT at this point is most likely. 

45 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Our RPI is 60+, looks like the only teams who have has an RPI in the 60s to make the dance were 2011 USC (5 top 50 wins), 2011 Marquette (5 top 50 wins), 2007 Stanford (4 top 50 wins), 2006 NC State (4 top 50 wins).

1.  How we dropped like 7 spots I’ll never know.  Another flaw of the RPI.

2.  How some teams with barely 17-18 wins are above is is stupid.  Period.

3.  I’m thinking if we were in as of yesterday, the RPI isn’t going to be a big factor for us anyways.  It was going to be bad period.  Not much difference from 55-60 I would say.