Big Ten Tournament

HuskerFever

Good News:

• Most Big 10 Message boards that I have been on so far don't think very highly of us.  For ever "Nebraska will be a tough match up" there are 10 "Nebraska will be one and done and NIT bound" posts.
  • Most media articles I have read don't give the Huskers much of a punchers chance at all.
  • Some of those metrics things are still higher on PSU than NU.  Saw one where the odds to win the whole thing went Purdue, MSU, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska.

This is all good news because, like most of the season, no one is going to be giving us much of a chance.  We are certainly a team not to overlook.  But if you want to do it, please be my guest.

Edited by hskr4life

5 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Good News:

• Most Big 10 Message boards that I have been on so far don't think very highly of us.  For ever "Nebraska will be a tough match up" there are 10 "Nebraska will be one and done and NIT bound" posts.
  • Most media articles I have read don't give the Huskers much of a punchers chance at all.
  • Some of those metrics things are still higher on PSU than NU.  Saw one where the odds to win the whole thing went Purdue, MSU, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska.

This is all good news because, like most of the season, no on is going to be giving us much of a chance.  We are certainly a team not to overlook.  But if you want to do it, please be my guest.

Can you please provide a link between fans overlooking us and their respective teams doing so? I don't see how one has to do with the other. Are the teams paying attention to what their fans think? If so, they've got bigger problems than overlooking a team. 

2 minutes ago, atskooc said:

Can you please provide a link between fans overlooking us and their respective teams doing so? I don't see how one has to do with the other. Are the teams paying attention to what their fans think? If so, they've got bigger problems than overlooking a team. 

It's subjective.  You will never have a link that says one team overlooked another.  You will also never have a link that says one team did not overlook another.  Of course teams pay attention to fans, media, etc.  We all know this, but they will never admit that it influenced them one way or another.  So it's subjective.  My main point was that fans and media are overlooking us though, so the team thing is kind of a different topic.

Dienhart: Setting the 2018 Big Ten tourney table

By Tom Dienhart, BTN.com Senior Writer, 3 hours ago

Best chance to be upset: No. 4 Nebraska. The Cornhuskers have a lot to play for, as mentioned above. Still, it wouldn’t be a shock to see No. 5 Michigan—the Huskers’ likely foe in the quarterfinals—topple the Huskers. The Wolverines are hot, having won five in a row. And they will be looking for payback vs. a Cornhuskers club that beat them by 20 points (72-52) this season in Lincoln in the only meeting between the schools. That was Nebraska’s only Big Ten win vs. a team that finished with a winning conference record. But the Huskers have won eight of nine. The lone loss? A confounding defeat at Illinois.

6 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

It's subjective.  You will never have a link that says one team overlooked another.  You will also never have a link that says one team did not overlook another.  Of course teams pay attention to fans, media, etc.  We all know this, but they will never admit that it influenced them one way or another.  So it's subjective.  My main point was that fans and media are overlooking us though, so the team thing is kind of a different topic.

Fair enough.

6 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Best chance to be upset: No. 4 Nebraska. The Cornhuskers have a lot to play for, as mentioned above. Still, it wouldn’t be a shock to see No. 5 Michigan—the Huskers’ likely foe in the quarterfinals—topple the Huskers. The Wolverines are hot, having won five in a row. And they will be looking for payback vs. a Cornhuskers club that beat them by 20 points (72-52) this season in Lincoln in the only meeting between the schools. That was Nebraska’s only Big Ten win vs. a team that finished with a winning conference record. But the Huskers have won eight of nine. The lone loss? A confounding defeat at Illinois.

Oh boy, Tom really went out on to that proverbial limb. That would be a 4 vs 5 matchup. That's hardly an "upset."

Big Ten Tournament Bracket: Rapid Reaction

What should fans be thinking about this year’s Big Ten Tournament?

By Thomas Beindit@tbeindit  

1. The top half of the bracket is ridiculous.

There are plenty of things to take away from the Big Ten Tournament bracket reveal on Sunday night, but nothing stood out to me more than what the top half of the bracket looks like. It’s one that looks immensely tougher than the bottom.

If you don’t believe me, just take a look at some of the details. The advanced stats show things to be relatively even, but I think the momentum is all on the top side. Here’s just a few facts about the teams in the top half:

• No. 1 Michigan State: Won 12 straight games.
  • No. 4 Nebraska: Won eight of last nine games.
  • No. 5 Michigan: Won seven of last eight games.
  • No. 8 Maryland: Won two of last three games.
  • No. 9 Wisconsin: Won four of last six games.

On its face, that’s a pretty loaded group. Michigan State hasn’t lost since January 19th and there are at least four other teams who seem to have a little momentum. Add in that some of the above losses came to other teams on the list and this looks even more significant. For instance, Wisconsin's only losses since February 4th came to Michigan and Michigan State. Both of those teams are also in the top half of the bracket.

17 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Maybe it's because of Watkins being out but I'm looking at that Ohio St vs Penn St matchup

Just now, hhcdimes said:

Maybe it's because of Watkins being out but I'm looking at that Ohio St vs Penn St matchup

There are actually a lot of great match ups and opportunities.  If seeds win out, Friday will look like this...

Maryland-Michigan State

Michigan-Nebraska

Penn State-Ohio State

Indiana-Purdue

That's a heck of a slate for a down year and certainly could see any of the lower seeds beating the uppper.

27 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Good stuff considering we will be significant underdogs in the game.  4 1/2 ish. 

46 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Good News:

This is all good news because, like most of the season, no one is going to be giving us much of a chance.  We are certainly a team not to overlook.  But if you want to do it, please be my guest.

I don't want to get to the point we have an incestuous chant like the $EC that most of their school's fans chant any time they play another conference, but I don't understand that eating your own young like Big 10 fans do.  Hell I am pulling for us to get at least 5 schools in and hope for an All Big 10 final.

15 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

There are actually a lot of great match ups and opportunities.  If seeds win out, Friday will look like this...

Maryland-Michigan State

Michigan-Nebraska

Penn State-Ohio State

Indiana-Purdue

That's a heck of a slate for a down year and certainly could see any of the lower seeds beating the uppper.

I saw that IU - PU was a potential quarterfinal game (in the late game no less) and was like, oh boy this could be a fun day to watch BTT hoops!  

39 minutes ago, atskooc said:

Not the link you're talking about, but in Behind Enemy lines thread, the top link to Michigan gives you an insight what a few Michigan fans think.  Arrogant and ignorant would be a couple words I'd use to describe them.  Makes me really appreciate HHC.  I'll not touch on the arrogance, but the ignorance shines through when they ask what the line on NU-MU might be. 

Hell, royalfan called that one out Saturday, and I'll bet ;) he's spot on!