Watkins out

Norm Peterson

Still the same tier 2 3 win or loss.

Without Watkins these guys are still plenty capable of beating us...they're remarkably better than they were the last time we played them. 

Reeves is capable of taking away Palmer and Tony Carr has worked his way towards All B1G first team.

4 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Still the same tier 2 win or loss.

Without Watkins these guys are still plenty capable of beating us...they're remarkably better than they were the last time we played them. 

Reeves is capable of taking away Palmer and Tony Carr has worked his way towards All B1G first team.

Agreed, but Watkins is such a horrific match-up problem for us that his absence may help us more than almost any other team in the league - still going to be a huge challenge - PSU is loaded with talent. 

And they do have plenty of big bodies on their bench - no one like Watkins, but Moore is an experienced senior and is more than serviceable and they have a couple more bodies back there.

11 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Still the same tier 2 win or loss.

That is the problem with the Tier system in my opinion.  This is a Tier 3 game for Nebraska and a Tier 1 game for PSU.  If Nebraska beats PSU, the only way PSU could get into the top 75 in the RPI according to RPI forecast is by getting to the semi finals of the B1G tourney.

So really beating Penn State won't doing anything on paper for Nebraska's resume because it will just be a Tier 3 win.

Just now, bigred4 said:

That is the problem with the Tier system in my opinion.  This is a Tier 3 game for Nebraska and a Tier 1 game for PSU.  If Nebraska beats PSU, the only way PSU could get into the top 75 in the RPI according to RPI forecast is by getting to the semi finals of the B1G tourney.

So really beating Penn State won't doing anything on paper for Nebraska's resume because it will just be a Tier 3 win.

Yeah, you're right. It's Tier 3.

Penn State in general is one of those horrible teams to play because they're the opposite of a RPI hack; they're better than their RPI would indicate.

Team and Crowd should come out fired up for this one.  HUGE game.  22-9 is going to look really good as a Power 5+1 conference.

I have come to the conclusion that I don't care what bracketologists say.  They make as much of a decision on Selection Sunday as I do.  I still think we need 23 to sleep soundly, but 22 certainly has me watching the tube on Selection Sunday.

8 minutes ago, royalfan said:

It is ridiculous how much the Big Ten is undervalued and many leagues overvalued in the rpi which they are using for quadrants for some reason.  I heard(Bilas I think) that the coaches pushed for this quadrant method, but not for RPI to be used to create them.  They cannot stand the RPI either. 

I heard the same.  The coaches wanted the quadrant method to be a weighted average between all of the major metrics.  I think it was like RPI, SOS, SOR, KPI, and KenPom.  BPI might of been in there as well.  

6 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I heard the same.  The coaches wanted the quadrant method to be a weighted average between all of the major metrics.  I think it was like RPI, SOS, SOR, KPI, and KenPom.  BPI might of been in there as well.  

I would be supportive of that system.  As I've said on other threads, the problem isn't with quadrants.  It's with RPI.

Watkins being out drastically increases our chance of victory.  Watching the Michigan/PSU game earlier this week, I kept thinking that they had no one that can get close to directly replacing his production.  They've got some big bodies and athletes, and yeah Carr is capable of winning a game by himself, but Watkins was the guy that could decimate us on the glass.  And given our rebounding difficulties, that's huge.

7 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Watkins being out drastically increases our chance of victory.  Watching the Michigan/PSU game earlier this week, I kept thinking that they had no one that can get close to directly replacing his production.  They've got some big bodies and athletes, and yeah Carr is capable of winning a game by himself, but Watkins was the guy that could decimate us on the glass.  And given our rebounding difficulties, that's huge.

Yeah.  With Watkins out, we should be able to play much more zone without giving up more O rebounds.

12 minutes ago, Lifetimesker said:

A friend told me he thought there was another injury for PSU during the Michigan game this week. I didn't watch it so I have no idea! Did anyone else see or hear anything?

Do you mean another injury on top of Watkins?  No, not unless it happened while I was walking to the basement to get a beer.  Watkins got hurt during the game but that's the only one I remember.

11 minutes ago, Lifetimesker said:

A friend told me he thought there was another injury for PSU during the Michigan game this week. I didn't watch it so I have no idea! Did anyone else see or hear anything?

"I was just at Penn State Orthopedics, and Tony Carr walked in. I half expected to see Mike, not Tony. Hope everything is ok. I expressed my confidence in the team’s ability to win their upcoming games and told him we loved this team. He seemed surprised. I don’t know if he didn’t expect a middle aged woman to hold her own in a discussion of PSU hoops, or if it was because of my confidence."

https://forum.pennstatehoops.com/t/injury-update/5390

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

"I was just at Penn State Orthopedics, and Tony Carr walked in. I half expected to see Mike, not Tony. Hope everything is ok. I expressed my confidence in the team’s ability to win their upcoming games and told him we loved this team. He seemed surprised. I don’t know if he didn’t expect a middle aged woman to hold her own in a discussion of PSU hoops, or if it was because of my confidence."

Believe I saw something to the effect that this involved his left hand. 

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I don't remember Garner getting hurt, how did I miss that...

And Carr was banged up too?  He drained a three in the closing minutes and looked fine to me.  Looked pretty darn good for a guy who was maybe hurt.