Roby (is Good)

OurDecay

13 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I don't like this. I want to see him play for NU as a senior leader.

I actually asked him the question "Is it to early to start the campaign for you to stay for your senior year".  He just laughed.  He said he's not on social media much but hears that he is on some draft boards and that is kind of strange for him to think about that.  He's a humble kid and would love to see him play for 2 more years but fully expect this will be his last year wearing Red.

Everybody including Miles has started this  season feeling that if Roby has a big year he’s gone to the NBA. But Miles has now reported when Roby overheard him discussing the Italy trip next summer, Roby interrupted with a, “That will be awesome!”  So I guess that means it’s not a complete done deal. 

1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

Everybody including Miles has started this  season feeling that if Roby has a big year he’s gone to the NBA. But Miles has now reported when Roby overheard him discussing the Italy trip next summer, Roby interrupted with a, “That will be awesome!”  So I guess that means it’s not a complete done deal. 

I think it will come down to 1) how much does Isiah like the college experience, and playing for the university. 2) what his draft guarantee is.

some kids really love playing in college and enjoy the experience and you only get it once. If your not guaranteed that nba contract and spot why not use all of your eligibility and bask in the experience; overseas will be there after you

graduate...

now that being said if he performs up to his talent and expectations and fully takes over this team like he should...yea he’s a lotto pick 

Edited by bobcat402

One other thing: Roby's age. He's 20, and he won't turn 21 until February 2019. Does he want to enter the NBA at age 21 or age 22?

So, yeah, he might just like the college experience enough at his relatively young age to stay around another year. I'm not counting on it, but a girl can dream, right?

3 hours ago, bobcat402 said:

I think it will come down to 1) how much does Isiah like the college experience, and playing for the university. 2) what his draft guarantee is.

some kids really love playing in college and enjoy the experience and you only get it once. If your not guaranteed that nba contract and spot why not use all of your eligibility and bask in the experience; overseas will be there after you

graduate...

now that being said if he performs up to his talent and expectations and fully takes over this team like he should...yea he’s a lotto pick 

6 hours ago, royalfan said:

Love me some roby but if his shot does not improve significantly this year, he will be nowhere near the lottery.  Lets hope it does.  

You talking form or percentages? He shot over 60% from 2s and 40% from 3. I agree we need to see a higher volume from him but based on the numbers I see no reason he can’t continue to at least shoot mid 50s from 2 and at least mid 30s from 3

20 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

I hear this.  Talent-wise, he could go, but he is such a high character kid that I still have this feeling he wants the complete experience for the intangibles.  He'll be fun to watch either way.  

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Pretty sure his percentages were darn good last year.  Not 100% though.

Shot was wet last year; aggressiveness was not

image.png

Shot % = % of team's shots while on the court

He shot about as much as Jacobson did when he was here.

Guys don't tend to improve this number by a ton, especially on a team like this that has Palmer (27.7%), Watson(24.5%), and Copeland(23.1%) as established scorers.  

Tai Webster was the exception to this as his shot% went from 11.7 to 15.5 to 19.6 to an amazing 26.7 as a senior.

Otherwise, I think it's his ball-handling that needs to improve. It's way to easy to pick Roby's pocket when he tries to drive.

I agree with Dimes and I am sure Roby knows this.  He's a capable ball handler in the open floor, but when he puts it on the floor to try to take his defender off the dribble, he's not as tight with the ball and controlled as he should be.  His shot ain't bad but it could be better, and I'm sure he's continued to work on it.  But driving the ball and getting to the rim against defense is clearly where his game could improve the most.

I think Roby might have one of those Webster-esque increases in usage.  I posted some time ago about the number of attempts that will be available with the departures of Taylor and Gill.  Had to do with the fact that Glynn wouldn't need to shoot it any more often than he did a year ago but just at the rate he did as a sophomore in order to jump his scoring productivity into the mid-teens.  I don't see Palmer or Copeland taking fewer shots, but neither do I expect them to take a ton more than they already were.  Someone has to absorb the increased opportunities and I think Isaiah is probably that someone.

10 hours ago, MichHusker said:

You talking form or percentages? He shot over 60% from 2s and 40% from 3. I agree we need to see a higher volume from him but based on the numbers I see no reason he can’t continue to at least shoot mid 50s from 2 and at least mid 30s from 3

Results don't match the eye test IMO.  Not a huge volume based sample either like you said.  

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

Yes, I don't feel his shot is lottery pick caliber.  

It definitely wasn't when he was a freshman. He worked a shit ton on it during the offseason between his freshman and sophomore years.  As a sophomore, his shot looked improved tremendously. And the results were he went from shooting 20% from three as a true freshman to shooting 40.5% from three as a sophomore.  There are still things he needs to work on, like speeding up his windup and release.  There's a lot of wasted motion in there, which eats time.  But, at 6'8", he's getting that shot off against most college players he'll face. Especially if he can add a dribble drive that will make bigger players respect his ability to put it on the floor.

14 hours ago, royalfan said:

Yeah, I think it isn't so far away that I don't think it is possible or anything like that.  Lottery is a big deal after all.  

A lot of projects get taken in the lottery, and Roby is no project on the defensive end.  He also might be a prodigious passer in time.  

If he can learn to really handle the rock (and I think he can), he may stick around for a senior year that looks like this: