It's Time to Subscribe

HuskerCager

25 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Great point, Demone.  Don't know if anyone has noticed, but once you get to the forums sight here, there is a yellow donate button on the right hand side.  Super easy to donate money to HHC to keep this fine sight going.  I did so a couple weeks ago.

Thanks cip - in fact, I had not ever noticed the "Donate" button until you pointed it out. And because I find value here, I just donated. 

20 hours ago, cipsucks said:

Had lunch today with jimmy and HB (yeah, I'm a name dropper), and amongst the discussions of Satchel Paige, Lincoln Saltdogs, The Masters, cost of living in California, and of course Husker basketball, we talked about the fate of print media.  All of us grew up, and still do, love reading the newspaper that is in your hands.  My day is a total mess if for some reason, like this past Monday, the OWH doesn't get delivered to the house before I leave for work.  (Actually, missing Monday was kind of a blessing because we lost to Illinois.  Didn't need to read that...)

We all know the print media is going bye bye.  It's just a sad day for us dinosaurs who know the Ice Age is coming.....

Speaking of dieing  media/mediums, there's a cool new record store on 70th & Vine called Vintage Vinyl. They even sell used turntables and receivers.

Ah yes...the more I think about this subject, the further back it takes me.  Back in my youth, you did not have ready access to anything.  I always thought that a journalist had the ability, through the written word, to put me in the action.  As I moved around a bit, I was lucky enough to read the prose of many great artists.  I still wish I could read another Maury White column.  Ah yes, the good ol days.

I attach one of his article (written about Nebraska) for your enjoyment...

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/11888672/1982_nebraskamissouri_des_moines/

Had a subscription for years to the OWH and let it go towards the end of the Solich era. I let it go based solely on the sports coverage, specifically as it relates to Husker athletics. The sports department at the OWH will write their articles based on how they, the sports media, is treated by the coach. How the reported on what happened to Connie Yori is recent example. You can also look at the articles written about Bo Pelini especially by Dirk. He want so far as to chase down Pelini for a quote about something when he was YSU in hopes of getting a reaction. Sam's sycophant stories about MR and SE was everything you would expect as if the SID had written the article. All of this was because MR gave the press unfettered access and attaboys for their great articles. They have already started hitting SF with subtle jabs. It is one thing to actually report news and another thing to insert yourself into the story ala Dirk and Sam or give partial facts to fit a narrative. 

There are a lot of things that I like about the OWH but until they make changes in how they report sports I will continue to stay away.

4 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Had a subscription for years to the OWH and let it go towards the end of the Solich era. I let it go based solely on the sports coverage, specifically as it relates to Husker athletics. The sports department at the OWH will write their articles based on how they, the sports media, is treated by the coach. How the reported on what happened to Connie Yori is recent example. You can also look at the articles written about Bo Pelini especially by Dirk. He want so far as to chase down Pelini for a quote about something when he was YSU in hopes of getting a reaction. Sam's sycophant stories about MR and SE was everything you would expect as if the SID had written the article. All of this was because MR gave the press unfettered access and attaboys for their great articles. They have already started hitting SF with subtle jabs. It is one thing to actually report news and another thing to insert yourself into the story ala Dirk and Sam or give partial facts to fit a narrative. 

There are a lot of things that I like about the OWH but until they make changes in how they report sports I will continue to stay away.

Those guys are columnists. It's not their job to report the news in a column; it's to give an opinion or make a statement. 

If they don't like a coach, they say so in the column. Because it's their job. 

5 hours ago, atskooc said:

Those guys are columnists. It's not their job to report the news in a column; it's to give an opinion or make a statement. 

If they don't like a coach, they say so in the column. Because it's their job. 

And we as consumers if we think their opinions are crap, one sided, and hurt a program that is vital to our state, have the right to cancel our subscriptions. They chose their plan and I guess we will wait and see how it works out for them. I still get it for now but can understand why people dont for sure.

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay said:

And we as consumers if we think their opinions are crap, one sided, and hurt a program that is vital to our state, have the right to cancel our subscriptions. They chose their plan and I guess we will wait and see how it works out for them. I still get it for now but can understand why people dont for sure.

Of course!

I just get tired of people who think columns are articles. 

I haven't seen it in this thread, but whenever someone refers to a column as an "article," I immediately tune them out. Someone who can't tell the difference isn't worth the energy.

I think the internet is making the term "columnist" obsolete. All of us here are columnists because all we do is give opinions. I see no evidence that there is any ability or desire for editing on the internet since that would be an infringement upon one's right to express his or her opinion and thereby "freedom of speech". By the new rules, all news may be considered "fake news".

8 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

There hasn't been any good "Columnists" since Mike Royko and Molly Ivins.

AMEN.    Royko and Ivins were both excellent.  Serious dearth of quality on all ends of the spectrum.  David Brooks.  George Will.  Friedman.  Maureen Dowd.  Gail Collins.  Thomas Sowell.  Cal Thomas.  Could easily roll out a dozen more clowns who, in all seriousness, provide a serious disservice to our democracy.  How in the hell do any of these people have a job writing columns anymore?  Maybe at some point in their careers they had some relevance, but now, hard to take any of them seriously.