It's Time to Subscribe

HuskerCager

no thanks. if they want more subscribers they should not let you read most of them for free.

and the LJS lets you read every article for free if you press cntrl shift n on the chrome browser. maybe LJS should fix that? 

it's a dying industry. there are so many free outlets to get news on the internet.

Edited by TimSmiles

Had lunch today with jimmy and HB (yeah, I'm a name dropper), and amongst the discussions of Satchel Paige, Lincoln Saltdogs, The Masters, cost of living in California, and of course Husker basketball, we talked about the fate of print media.  All of us grew up, and still do, love reading the newspaper that is in your hands.  My day is a total mess if for some reason, like this past Monday, the OWH doesn't get delivered to the house before I leave for work.  (Actually, missing Monday was kind of a blessing because we lost to Illinois.  Didn't need to read that...)

We all know the print media is going bye bye.  It's just a sad day for us dinosaurs who know the Ice Age is coming.....

Edited by cipsucks

58 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

no thanks. if they want more subscribers they should not let you read most of them for free.

and the LJS lets you read every article for free if you press cntrl shift n on the chrome browser. maybe LJS should fix that? 

it's a dying industry. there are so many free outlets to get news on the internet.

The problem is that those free outlets often have very little credibility, but are supplanting professional trained journalists.  For sports I agree, I'm not going to pay for the privilege of reading about my favorite teams; I'll survive on free content just fine.  But when it comes to actual news, I'd prefer there to be something less agenda-driven than Breitbart or HuffPost.  And unfortunately those are the news agencies that are growing, because people want free content that confirms their own biases.

6 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

The problem is that those free outlets often have very little credibility, but are supplanting professional trained journalists.  For sports I agree, I'm not going to pay for the privilege of reading about my favorite teams; I'll survive on free content just fine.  But when it comes to actual news, I'd prefer there to be something less agenda-driven than Breitbart or HuffPost.  And unfortunately those are the news agencies that are growing, because people want free content that confirms their own biases.

in terms of local news, every local tv news station also has a website with free articles and videos.

Edited by TimSmiles

Real journalism has died.  I have to read 2, 3, 4, articles on the same subject and then try to sift through all the agendas and still probably not get the whole story.  I don't trust journalists, so not going to subscribe to a paper.  Too many other streams of information now.  Print media is the least trustworthy, with broadcast media a close second.

Here's a story from a few months ago about why local journalism matters, and why it should be supported. It's a 45-minute listen from a local radio station in Boston.

And local journalism begins with the local newspaper and its website. TV journalists don't have the resources to follow the mundane stories that local papers historically have.

When it comes to news gathering, news organizations, the cutbacks have come all over in recent years. But local news may have taken the most dire hit. You want to know what happened at the town council meeting this week? Or the zoning commission? Or just around the block? Good luck to you in too many communities now. This hour, On Point: Saving local news. And we’ll talk with Bob Schieffer of CBS about how to sort fake news from fact. -- Tom Ashbrook.

To each, their own. I believe in a couple of different theories:

The first is the TINSTAAFL theory: There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

I subscribe to both the OWH and the LJS - both outlets provide content (not just sports) that I want to read and I believe they should be compensated for it.

The second theory is: In most situations, you get what you pay for. Quality matters to me.

Thanks for the support. I know we aren't perfect, but the vast majority of journalists go to work every day not trying to fulfill an agenda, but simply trying to get at the truth and tell a good story in the meantime. We're really decent people, generally, but not to a person. We have warts, no doubt.

I'm sympathetic, as someone who knows a lot of independent journalists. But the American model is both a content and business disaster and on its rightful deathbed. 

Since we've returned to an age of propaganda driven information similar to the mid to late 19th century,  I'll support local independent media if it's homegrown and donor supported (similar to Indymedia's attempts in the 90s-aughts). I'll never support advertising-based media ever again. They're too influential on the process by far. 

Still, it's a tragedy that talented writers go to waste in areas not so contentious. More casualties in a battle royale over the ownership of the minds of people. 

1 hour ago, colhusker said:

Given the hate the OWH has for the good guys (cough cough Dirky cough cough) no to ever supplementing them.

Failing to be homers like LJS does not equal hate. But refusing to buy a paper because you don't like what it says is why our democracy is circling the toilet. 

If we were worth a fig we would listen ro opposing views with respect and consider political positions other than our current one. You know, like we do at home and work and with friends.

3 minutes ago, BugeaterZ said:

Failing to be homers like LJS does not equal hate. But refusing to buy a paper because you don't like what it says is why our democracy is circling the toilet. 

If we were worth a fig we would listen ro opposing views with respect and consider political positions other than our current one. You know, like we do at home and work and with friends.

One of the best things about this "democracy" is that we can choose to read what we want, say what we want about said news, and not have repercussions.  Saying you don't want to support something monetarily because you don't like it is the beauty of this country.  I am perfectly fine with those that want to pay for all of the papers, I am perfectly fine with those that don't want to pay a dime for papers, I am fine if someone wants to read the LJS over the OWH and dis the OWH, and I am fine with someone who wants to read the OWH over the LJS and dis the LJS.  It's the beauty of this country.

Longtime subscriber of the LJS.  I love my mornings when I can grab a cup of coffee and read print news and sports...and the comics.

I then get on my tablet or laptop and read MSN, Husker Hoops Central, ArcaMax comics, emails, Facebook et al. 

I used to subscribe to the OWH.  a few things took place that made me give up that subscription.  I miss some elements of the paper, but not enough to subscribe again.  Now, I cannot access OWH on line either...oh well, their loss, not mine.

I feel like this thread may cross the politics Rubicon that we try pretty hard to avoid here (and hope we continue to do so).

So I don't have any thoughts on the topic that I wish to share here, only that I want to express my hope we can keep the conversation civil and as politics-free as possible.

Carry on!