Two Questions (1 X's and O's, 1 Personnel Decisions)

First Question: I know you all are going to think I'm crazy for asking why we aren't doing a particular thing defensively, with as amazing of defense as we play, but I have one tweak I wish we would see from Coach Miles - MORE SWITCHING. 

I feel as if Palmer, Roby, Copeland, and Taylor should be switching almost everything. Worst case scenario is Taylor - who's incredibly long, savvy, and athletic - ends up on a true big and gets beat up a couple times. Palmer, Roby, and Copeland can all guard relatively similar guy with varying degrees of success. In turn, Taylor, Gill, Palmer, and Watson should be switching any and all guard/guard action. One year I was an assistant with a team that got really good at looking at the shot clock and going automatic 4-way or 5-way switches when they saw 8 seconds left on the shot clock. I thought it was very deadly and created big time issues for teams who tried to run a quick action at the end of the shot clock, and didn't give other teams enough time to take advantage of mismatches created by the switch. 

Last night, Indiana ran Flex out of a BOB that they scored on. Had we auto-pre-switched the BOBs before the entry, you'd keep all your bigs down low and your guards up top. And no one has to fight through tough back-screen/down-screen action. 

Mollinari/Miles know best - so I am not questioning - just suggesting. Thoughts?

Second Question: What is up with Duby?

I guess I don't understand the rotation here. Is he hurt? Do they kind of have a minutes restriction on him because of injuries/illness/bad knees or something? Have I missed a report about this (if so please link)? 

Jordy did some good things last night. 9 rebounds. He really hustled (huge play to dive and kind of throw off the guy who landed out of bounds), tried hard, and did his best. Even hit a big hook shot when desperately needed it. But overall, I felt like he was a liability. I'm critical of Jordy, I know. I really don't feel like it's overly critical, but some of you may think I am. But I really do not see why Duby does not play more. I feel like defensively, he gives us some of the great things Roby can, and offensively he knows his role and gets the heck out of the way. Only trying to get tip dunks and offensive rebounds. What's up? 

Wow, Jones, you have watched a different Duby than I have.   While he makes some spectacular blocks, play in and play out he doesn't defend well at all.  He's a vertical guy who can't move laterally well at all.   He's a foul every 30 second guy that get's the opponent in the double bonus before you can say "Tom Eades".    Not that Jordy is skilled, but offensively Duby is incredibly limited.  And in a close game late, you can't have him on the floor as free throws are a huge challenge.    At some point he will have to play some limited minutes to try to guard bigs and administer some hacks, but to me it seems obvious why the minutes are limited with Roby's development and dramatically increased minutes.

2 minutes ago, HB said:

Wow, Jones, you have watched a different Duby than I have.   While he makes some spectacular blocks, play in and play out he doesn't defend well at all.  He's a vertical guy who can't move laterally well at all.   He's a foul every 30 second guy that get's the opponent in the double bonus before you can say "Tom Eades".    Not that Jordy is skilled, but offensively Duby is incredibly limited.  And in a close game late, you can't have him on the floor as free throws are a huge challenge.    At some point he will have to play some limited minutes to try to guard bigs and administer some hacks, but to me it seems obvious why the minutes are limited with Roby's development and dramatically increased minutes.

Play him with Roby when Copeland gets fouls or needs a break. 

But - I appreciate your input - I figured others saw something different with his abilities than I did. But, I don't have any stats to back this up, but I believe Jordy fouls at the same rate Duby does most of the time, and if you want to talk about lateral movement defensively.......... 

Great point about late game with fouls. But I feel there's a lot of times earlier that we could go to him. 

3 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Play him with Roby when Copeland gets fouls or needs a break. 

But - I appreciate your input - I figured others saw something different with his abilities than I did. But, I don't have any stats to back this up, but I believe Jordy fouls at the same rate Duby does most of the time, and if you want to talk about lateral movement defensively.......... 

Great point about late game with fouls. But I feel there's a lot of times earlier that we could go to him. 

Duby could be brought in late in the 1st half, for sure. Energy boost on the defensive end, if nothing else. He's very limited as a role player. I do love his positive attitude.

during the game, at one point i was practically screaming for a big to enter the game and start playing a bit rougher with IUs easy penetration. 

I had Okeke in mind, mostly to just hack a few of them to get them less comfortable. Jordy comes in instead and plays better than he had been. 

Duby has a use this season, and it's generally designated hack man or blocker,  and I thought we needed a bit of that last night. 

So he'll get minutes every now and then.

But Jordy--for all his limitations--is still the only remotely skilled big man we have. And he has to play first. 

The big dube has a role but it’s a limited one. He basically blocks shots n can catch lobs n get tip slams. Jordy for his flaws is taller, a better rebounder, n can actually have the offense run through him for spurts on the block.

im pretty satisfied w the rotation or roby cope n Jordy myself. They all have roles n have deleoped nicely in them I think. At the big ten level dube is basically a 5 min guy when your in foul trouble, I love the guys energy n toughness but he’s just not skilled.

not sure on the switching aspect. I’d like to see the bigs switch alil more as Copeland is out of position a lot in the post. Jordy needs to learn to just let them shoot jumpers to and not bite on every fake as he does before fouling usually 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

But - I appreciate your input - I figured others saw something different with his abilities than I did. But, I don't have any stats to back this up, but I believe Jordy fouls at the same rate Duby does most of the time, and if you want to talk about lateral movement defensively...

Not really, no. At least not lately. If you look at the whole season, it's kinda similar. Duby is at one foul per 4.79 mins played; Jordy's at 5.71.

Over their last 5 games played, Jordy's at 9.66; Duby's at 2.85.

1 hour ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Jordy needs to learn to just let them shoot jumpers to and not bite on every fake as he does before fouling usually 

+1.

That one play when the guy drove into the lane and head-faked, his defense wasn't that bad - he stayed with him fairly well.  If he just stays on his feet and keeps his hands high, the guy either has to make a much tougher shot or pass the ball back out.

6 minutes ago, NUtball said:

+1.

That one play when the guy drove into the lane and head-faked, his defense wasn't that bad - he stayed with him fairly well.  If he just stays on his feet and keeps his hands high, the guy either has to make a much tougher shot or pass the ball back out.

probably one of the greatest things jordy could do this off-season is just watch a ton of fundamental videos, if he strictly improved fundamentals and no actual skill parts of his game he would be a 3rd team all big ten type player. 

If he could just catch gather and go up in one motion he will average 8 to 10 points a game next year

3 hours ago, HB said:

Agree a lot with this. He gets lost a lot and that includes offense. Watch him try to set a pick as well, not good, not good at all. I have no problem playing him when we are straight up man and they have a big guy to bang but that is about all at this point. No clue what they are but I would guess Jordy gets way more rebounds per minute as well but that is just a guess.

27 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

probably one of the greatest things jordy could do this off-season is just watch a ton of fundamental videos, if he strictly improved fundamentals and no actual skill parts of his game he would be a 3rd team all big ten type player. 

If he could just catch gather and go up in one motion he will average 8 to 10 points a game next year

I think he needs to get his legs stronger and then mix in a lot of yoga or balancing type training. If he just had more body control he would be on to something

3 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

The big dube has a role but it’s a limited one. He basically blocks shots n can catch lobs n get tip slams. Jordy for his flaws is taller, a better rebounder, n can actually have the offense run through him for spurts on the block.

im pretty satisfied w the rotation or roby cope n Jordy myself. They all have roles n have deleoped nicely in them I think. At the big ten level dube is basically a 5 min guy when your in foul trouble, I love the guys energy n toughness but he’s just not skilled.

I think your post is insightful n accurate.

I think we need a dose of Duby at least once a game just so he can come in and either dunk once or kill somebody with a block and do the double bicep pose.

Then he can change back into his mild mannered self and live the life of a quiet college student.:mellow:

One thing I would like to see Jordy learn is to not bring the ball below his head when he gets a rebound, especially an offensive rebound. It gives smaller players a chance to grab the ball and while he is lowering and bringing the ball back up the opponent is closing in to defend the put back.  

I do not believe Duby is sitting for any type of earth shattering reason.  I believe the staff made a decision this year to stay with an 8-man rotation in order to build a cohesive, well tuned group.  Early in the year, most of the team had opportunities to be part of the rotation, and the chosen eight are who you see.  If an injury or fouls play a major role in a game, then you will see others added to the rotation. 

As far as more switching, I don't necessarily disagree.  But I personally thought we were switching much more often this year than in the recent past.  Hmm.

Edited by huskercwg

19 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

I think he needs to get his legs stronger and then mix in a lot of yoga or balancing type training. If he just had more body control he would be on to something

I agree. He needs some agility and circuit training. Would greatly help with his foot work. As some others have noted, develop a go to move, a counter to the go to move, and a drop step, and he would be averaging 8 points a game. One thing I have noticed is that very few big guys have the ability to face up and use shot fakes/jab steps in the post. When you face up, you can see floor and it deters double teams. Ah, for a Kevin McHale or a Jack Sikma (those references date me, I know).