Indiana

hhcmatt

Via Archie Miller's wikipedia page....which is a lot better than I would have done to describe what it is that he does.

Coaching philosophy
Miller employs a structured transition offense intended to open up games, create foul trouble for opponents, and score before the defense can get set. His offensive approach has been called "one of the most complete transition offensive systems you will find." He frequently uses a "Phoenix fast break" with players pushing the ball off of rebounds and turnovers in a flexible system that can take on a variety of alignments. He will modify the Phoenix break based on personnel to accommodate five guards or two post players on the floor at once. If an opponent scores, Miller employs a "Carolina transition offense" to create scoring opportunities which flow right into a motion offense. 

The identity of Miller’s teams are rooted in defense. He employs a "pack line defense," which is a variation of man-to-man defense invented by Dick Bennett at Wisconsin and also employed by Tony Bennett at Virginia, and Tom Izzo at Michigan State, among others.[9][10] Instead of the off-ball defenders pressuring their player and denying the pass, everyone except the player guarding the ball must be inside an imaginary line 16 feet from the rim. At all times a defender pressures the player with the basketball, while the other four defenders play in gap/help positions. However, if the offensive player picks up the dribble, all players go out and deny looking for the steal. The pack line defense is intended to discourage penetration, getting inside the paint, and forces opponents to win with a well executed offense and good outside shooting.

You can see the fingerprints in the analytics of their fast offensive pace, their drawn out defense times, and allowing an above average number of 3pt attempts

Listening to Happer and Stephens and they were just discussing how they think something feels off about this game. They don't think it'll be easy, and we're gonna have to be at our absolute best, especially after the one day prep. They mentioned Miles saying the quick turnaround was just what we need, but still, think it'll be a down to the wire game like Maryland. 

Just now, NebrasketballJake said:

Listening to Happer and Stephens and they were just discussing how they think something feels off about this game. They don't think it'll be easy, and we're gonna have to be at our absolute best, especially after the one day prep. They mentioned Miles saying the quick turnaround was just what we need, but still, think it'll be a down to the wire game like Maryland. 

Rinse and repeat for Penn St; both teams are quite good.

Really feels like a general lack of interest for this game tonight, which disappoints me and makes me really nervous. However, this team has proven me wrong time and time again this year, which makes me feel that tonight will be no different. Give me Glynn for 30 and 15 point dub to get everyone's excitements and hopes up again. S'go Skers

Good Interview with Coach Miles (6:52)  posted  above by @hal9000

Talks the one-day prep time - could be a good thing.
Talks Indiana. Good Team. Played vs Archie Miller when we beat Dayton last year.
Team is disappointed in their loss - Thinks they'll bounce back.
Take aways from the loss. Reviewed the last 5 mins of the Illinois game with the team, where it was won or lost.
Talks a little about Glynn Watson, need to get him to take some good 2 pointers that matter; and make some of those inside contested shots.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...