College hoops corruption case

Bugeaters1

37 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

And so it begins......

Is it the beginning or the end?  I tend to side with you that it is only the beginning, but who knows?   Does the FBI continue with their investigation or do they turn it over to the NCAA or another group?  

To me, there are so many more questions then answers.  

Whether this is the beginning or the end of things really depends on whether the NCAA has the will to punish schools for their transgressions or not.  Lately, given their track record of *not* doing so in such high-profile scandals as 

• Miami - Nevin Shapiro ponzi scheme
  • Baylor - Instituionalized rape coverups
  • North Carolina - Fake classes
  • Michigan State - Larry Nassar creepiness

makes me skeptical that anything of substance will come from this deal either.  Louisville fired Pitino and others of their own volition...I am not certain they needed to or even should have until the NCAA had a chance to take a look into it, because quite simply they probably wouldn't have done anything in that case either.

The entire NCAA is a corrupt and scummy endeavor, and it seems to only be getting worse over time.

Edited by 49r

4 hours ago, 49r said:

Whether this is the beginning or the end of things really depends on whether the NCAA has the will to punish schools for their transgressions or not.  Lately, given their track record of *not* doing so in such high-profile scandals as 

• Miami - Nevin Shapiro ponzi scheme
  • Baylor - Instituionalized rape coverups
  • North Carolina - Fake classes
  • Michigan State - Larry Nassar creepiness

makes me skeptical that anything of substance will come from this deal either.  Louisville fired Pitino and others of their own volition...I am not certain they needed to or even should have until the NCAA had a chance to take a look into it, because quite simply they probably wouldn't have done anything in that case either.

The entire NCAA is a corrupt and scummy endeavor, and it seems to only be getting worse over time.

This sums up the NCAA: Not Caring About Anything ('cept $$$$$).

Edited by AuroranHusker

NCAA may give a few superficial slaps on the wrist for appearance sake. Why would they do anything meaningful like suggesting college players from truly indigent backgrounds with legit NBA prospects be allowed to be paid legally for their work? That might break their own golden egg. The FBI is now out of this picture which only started because of an expanding net of legal wiretaps and wired witnesses in a fraud case of a person only peripherally involved in basketball. Tried in the same court that convicted Paul Manafort who was caught because of the imaginary "collusion" case involving Trump and Russians. The effect on college basketball will be minimal and us normal folks will still be able to wager our usual 10 billion on the NCAA tournament. Ironically, the government case rested on the point that the money funneled from Adidas through Dawkins to Bowen's dad might harm the Universities involved by preventing them from reaping their NCAA golden egg. Anyone wishing more info on this murky situation should read "The Last Temptation of Rick Pitino" by Michael Sokolove.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article220538450.html

Saw this today which I found to be interesting.  KU will hold out De Sousa while KU works with the NCAA to determine if and what violations may have occurred, or something akin to that.  I am sorry, but wouldn't KU know what they did wrong?  

If what was involved in the trial testimony proves true, Self has an identical problem that Petino had.  He either is guilty of the "crime" or he is guilty for not exercising institutional control.  Am i missing something?  

And oh yeah, KU is the preseason #1 team.

Edited by Huskerpapa

I think the reason the trigger on Pitino was so quick is that he had two previous sex related scandals, the YUM center was losing attendance and going broke, and the AD Tom Jurich was arrogant and had made enemies with some regents and was also dumped. Oh, and his team was not a preseason #1. I don't expect the same is true for Self.

From BTownBanners.com:

"When Creighton is offering 100K for a recruit, you can say with reasonable certainty cheating is pervasive in college basketball. The NCAA is nothing more than a bad joke. Bill Self and Kansas is the poster child for this with cash, cars, or anything else a recruit needs. They just flat out deny everything and the NCAA does nothing. The moral of this story is cheaters and cheating wins; just what the governing body has drawn up."

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The following sentence tends to say it all...

"KU will not feature suspended player Silvio De Sousa but will feature not-suspended coach Bill Self."

Coaches such as Self will continue to cheat because they generally do not have to face the music.  De Sousa is being punished because as an immature teenager, he trusted adults to provide him advice and perks that he apparently felt were fine, because they were entrusted to him by, once again, adults.  

• 1 month later...

h/t to @hhcmatt for putting this in my twitter feed:

Mark Few throwing some MAJOR shade at the Tar Heels in this one:

• But even as the investigation drags on and casts a dark cloud over the sport, Few thinks Sunday’s game is a prime example that good basketball programs can also follow the rules.

“There’s two teams today who were competing who do it right. I know that to be true,” Few said. “And there’s a lot of teams who do it right – the national champions two out of the last three years. There’s a lot of great things. This thing is worth saving.”

Dang, Mark!

1 hour ago, 49r said:

But even as the investigation drags on and casts a dark cloud over the sport, Few thinks Sunday’s game is a prime example that good basketball programs can also follow the rules.

“There’s two teams today who were competing who do it right. I know that to be true,” Few said. “And there’s a lot of teams who do it right – the national champions two out of the last three years. There’s a lot of great things. This thing is worth saving.”

He is very, very right!