Screw this tournament discussion - where will we be seeded?

Huskerpapa

I am tired of the ebbs and flows of the tournament discussion.  We need to beat Illinois, and then the next game, and the next game...et al.

So I am not going to fret over whether we are in or out.  We WILL get into the NCAA tournament.  When this happen, my question is where will we be seeded?  6th?

Just now, TimSmiles said:

10 or play in game unless we make it to the big 10 championship. 

Yeah I think were destined for a play-in game without a quad 1 win, it will justify the committee putting us in. How bad would a play-in game be for this team? It seems like it would be a nice buffer and a good way to get the monkey off our back, and get some momentum. I think play-in game winners (last 4 in - not 16 seeds) have faired pretty well their next game/

My guesses:

(a) Win the next 3 and win the Big 10 tournament and we're a 5 seed.

(b ) Win the next 3 and make it to the finals and we're a 9.

(c) Win the next 3 and win one and it's 11.

(d) Win the next 3 and go 0-1 in MSG, or go 2-1 and 1-1 in MSG and it's 12 and a play-in.

(e) Go 2-1 but then make it to the finals and it's an 11, go 2-1 but then win the tournament and it's a 7.

(f) 2-2 in the next 4, including the conference tournament first round game, and it's NIT unless a whole lot of things break our way.

(g) 1-3 in the next 4 and it's barely in the NIT.

(h) 0-4 and the season is over.

I'd put my money on (c).

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

If we are sitting at 23-8 before the BTT, we might be ranked in the top-25.  Historically those teams don’t land that low in seeding because they are passing the eye test.

i mean, technically speaking...a #24 ranked team would be a 6-seed, if the two lined up.

i know that the committee doesn’t use that info, but I just struggle seeing a top-25 team relegated to a play-in game.  

I think with 24 wins we are an 8 seed

I like where your head's at. I agree, eventually something like this just gets worn out.

From everything I've been tracking recently, if we get in there's a good chance its a 10 or 11 seed. There's even the minute possability that we're put with the bluebirds in Omaha for a grudge match. I actually hope not, but I know they like those narratives. I just want to get in and win. It also excited me when I saw one projection that put us in a play-in with boise. That's much more winnable than a 6 seed right off. Either way I'm good, but im just happy to be where we are. 

1 minute ago, OurDecay said:

If we are sitting at 23-8 before the BTT, we might be ranked in the top-25.  Historically those teams don’t land that low in seeding because they are passing the eye test.

i mean, technically speaking...a #24 ranked team would be a 6-seed, if the two lined up.

i know that the committee doesn’t use that info, but I just struggle seeing a top-25 team relegated to a play-in game.  

I think with 24 wins we are an 8 seed

FWIW, smu was ranked in the top 25 on selection sunday and didn't make it to the tournament.

9 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

My guesses:

(a) Win the next 3 and win the Big 10 tournament and we're a 5 seed.

(b ) Win the next 3 and make it to the finals and we're a 9.

(c) Win the next 3 and win one and it's 11.

(d) Win the next 3 and go 0-1 in MSG, or go 2-1 and 1-1 in MSG and it's 12 and a play-in.

(e) Go 2-1 but then make it to the finals and it's an 11, go 2-1 but then win the tournament and it's a 7.

(f) 2-2 in the next 4, including the conference tournament first round game, and it's NIT unless a whole lot of things break our way.

(g) 1-3 in the next 4 and it's barely in the NIT.

(h) 0-4 and the season is over.

I'd put my money on (c).

Thats quite an interesting breakdown, in a good way. Yeah I'd agree, option (c) is most likely. I like the branching paths we could take here. If we take care of business and win in the B1G tourney for once, we have a bright postseason. but overall it's refreshing to have all the power in our hands. If we fail, it's on us, so that is quite a bit of pressure, but that's leagues better than worrying about another team and needing someone else to fail

• Huskerpapa changed the title to Screw this tournament discussion - where will we be seeded?
47 minutes ago, Wolv77 said:

I like where your head's at. I agree, eventually something like this just gets worn out.

From everything I've been tracking recently, if we get in there's a good chance its a 10 or 11 seed. There's even the minute possability that we're put with the bluebirds in Omaha for a grudge match. I actually hope not, but I know they like those narratives. I just want to get in and win. It also excited me when I saw one projection that put us in a play-in with boise. That's much more winnable than a 6 seed right off. Either way I'm good, but im just happy to be where we are. 

Is a team allowed to be in the same regional that they are hosting? I know there are some rules about playing in your own arena, but I don't know what they are.

1 minute ago, nuhusker7 said:

Is a team allowed to be in the same regional that they are hosting? I know there are some rules about playing in your own arena, but I don't know what they are.

weren't we in the same region as the jays back in our 2014 trip? that's mostly what I'm basing this idea. 

1 minute ago, Wolv77 said:

weren't we in the same region as the jays back in our 2014 trip? that's mostly what I'm basing this idea. 

We might have been. Also I may have misunderstood your post. I was assuming you meant we would play them in Omaha, but after reading it again, I think you were just referring to playing them again.

But imagine the ticket prices if we did play them in Omaha. 

Just now, nuhusker7 said:

We might have been. Also I may have misunderstood your post. I was assuming you meant we would play them in Omaha, but after reading it again, I think you were just referring to playing them again.

But imagine the ticket prices if we did play them in Omaha. 

haha it's ok. Yeah I doubt we'd ever play in omaha, and you are correct, I was just saying they might put us in the same group of 4 or something. But if we did play there, and beat them at their house... O   M  G what a huge step over that'd be on the jays :lol::D