WNIT vs. The Dance

Bugeaters1

What would the Huskers benefit from the most, NIT or the dance. While it would be nice to make the Dance, I think that going the NIT would benefit us the most. One would think that we would be a higher seed and get a few games a home, as opposed to going on the road for the dance. i know that we have been playing well on the road, but just think that we could make a run in the NIT. And like the bows games do for football it adds PRACTICE MAN. 

• Bugeaters1 changed the title to NIT vs. The Dance

I hope we finish strong enough to make it to the dance.  Even where we are at in the standings as of now, that would be a great accomplishment.  Tied for 2nd, but considered on the outside looking in as far as the tourney.  Tough row to hoe at this point, only PSU at home.  GBR!!!

Edited by mwm89

just seems to me, any benefits of playing in the wnit vs ncaa seem marginal. any division I player wants the chance to play in the "big dance". i don't have any hard facts, but, seems like it can be a challenge for some of these bigger schools to "buy in" come time to play in the wnit. there are exceptions, like michigan last season after getting snubbed by the ncaa committee. plus, use coach williams as an example when she was at usd--------the school made the financial effort and were able to play their games at usd. i remember chatter about whether usd could outbid some of the larger schools and would have to go on the road at some point. it always has been a bit of a question how usd did it. not sure if i am making my point, but, you wonder if when a big school ends up having to go on the road and play at a smaller school (size wise and/or wbb reputation wise) home court----how it might affect some players. now, nebraska would most likely be a school that would make a dedicated effort and bid to have the huskers play at PBA for as long as possible. 

side note: not sure if i am correct, but, aren't wnit bids placed BEFORE the tourney begins? 

While I'm 100% for the women's team......I'm concerned after the Wisky game. Could be all wet but .....

Hate to be a downer, but unless they play better than they did against Wisky....there's not much chance of winning on out the B1G, or making the NCAA's. Just the reality of where we may end up, because we're too much on the border of being in or out.  Unless we win at least 2 of the next 4.....plus maybe one+ in the B1G tourney.....

But you can only play so hard for so long..then fatigue sets in.  We have got to suck it up as they say, and pick up the pace once again, like against several teams beginning with MInn.   Against Wisky, we sort of looked tired, or hit the wall and burned out a bit. ...maybe simply was off to long and lost or some of our competitive edge due to inactivity. We had what...10 points in the first qtr.

Anyway, the next few games are more critical than ever.....and we got ourselves into this enviable spot with outstanding play. Just need a few weeks more ....of what they're capable of doing.

I think we need to finish out the regular season with all wins except for Maryland.  And I think we have to win one in the B1G tourney in order to make the dance.  It will be frustrating to see teams we beat get in, but apparently that doesn’t matter and OOC games do.  From what little I know of how this works, seems like we could have played a tough non-Con with losses to top teams, be average in conference, and still make the NCAA tourney.  

4 hours ago, redsteve said:

While I'm 100% for the women's team......I'm concerned after the Wisky game. Could be all wet but .....

Hate to be a downer, but unless they play better than they did against Wisky....there's not much chance of winning on out the B1G, or making the NCAA's. Just the reality of where we may end up, because we're too much on the border of being in or out.  Unless we win at least 2 of the next 4.....plus maybe one+ in the B1G tourney.....

But you can only play so hard for so long..then fatigue sets in.  We have got to suck it up as they say, and pick up the pace once again, like against several teams beginning with MInn.   Against Wisky, we sort of looked tired, or hit the wall and burned out a bit. ...maybe simply was off to long and lost or some of our competitive edge due to inactivity. We had what...10 points in the first qtr.

Anyway, the next few games are more critical than ever.....and we got ourselves into this enviable spot with outstanding play. Just need a few weeks more ....of what they're capable of doing.

Edited by Cazzie22

• Bugeaters1 changed the title to WNIT vs. The Dance
1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

Wisconsin had a week to prepare and presented us some difficult matchups.   Winning 2 of the last 4 should keep us in the Top 4 of the conference.  NCAA should be forthcoming with a good finish.

Current RPI of 66 won't get us in the dance based on history. Beating Maryland would help but is still a stretch, probably will need to win BTT to get in the dance.

Husker women are 4-5 v. Top 50 and 8-6 v. Top 10. Dont follow womens bball as a whole that much, but that seems like a good resume to me.

Really bad losses to Clemson and Wash St hurt tho. Flipping the close losses to Buffalo and Michigan would have been very helpful.

3-1 finish plus 1-1 in the B1G tourney gets us in?

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:28 AM, redsteve said:

Of course, we'll get a little better "feel" where the team is at after tonight's game.  Was the Wiscy game mostly a result of layoff, them having more time to prepare working as a neutralizer, fatigue, teams figuring us out after a # of conf. games, a combination thereof or anything else I failed to mention? 

I want to be wrong, but have a bad hunch about this game @ MSU.  And as red alluded to, our surprising success so far causes us (certainly me) to want to finish strong, stay in the top 3 in  conf. and perhaps gain however many wins is needed to get to the NCAA's. 

I find it difficult to believe that many NU fans, including myself, will be disappointed not to make the NCAA Tournament.   This group has exceeded expectations of nearly all but maybe the most foresighted among Lady Husker fans.  So, I need to reflect on the positive accomplishments of the team and not be disappointed if the NCAA appearance does not occur.  However, I would be dismayed if the team finishes in the Top 3 during the regular season and does not receive the invitation.

I hope NU finds a way to make the tournament. Unique team that has grown, plays well together, defends, and is balanced making them hard to guard. Had we played a better non-conference schedule without the likes of Arkansas St (#186) Southern (#182), North Texas (#221), Northern Kentucky (#244), and Yale (#119) it would likely be a NCAA lock. Michigan finished in sole possession of 3rd last year and didn't make it with a better RPI than us, we just gotta go win the BTT. Not long ago I'd have said the BIG was a lock to get 6 teams in, still possible but 4-5 is more likely and it will depend on other conferences tournaments where upsets may occur.

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

I find it difficult to believe that many NU fans, including myself, will be disappointed not to make the NCAA Tournament.   This group has exceeded expectations of nearly all but maybe the most foresighted among Lady Husker fans.  So, I need to reflect on the positive accomplishments of the team and not be disappointed if the NCAA appearance does not occur.  However, I would be dismayed if the team finishes in the Top 3 during the regular season and does not receive the invitation.

Well put.  I wanted to make this point essentially at the end of my most recent post, but was on a public computer ready to time out on me.  I had to either send what I had, or lose everything.  :o  The finish will be interesting one way or another.  Looking back when it's over, I will be quite pleased to one degree or another.

I hope NU finds a way to make the tournament. Unique team that has grown, plays well together, defends, and is balanced making them hard to guard. Had we played a better non-conference schedule without the likes of Arkansas St (#186) Southern (#182), North Texas (#221), Northern Kentucky (#244), and Yale (#119) it would likely be a NCAA lock. Michigan finished in sole possession of 3rd last year and didn't make it with a better RPI than us, we just gotta go win the BTT. Not long ago I'd have said the BIG was a lock to get 6 teams in, still possible but 4-5 is more likely and it will depend on other conferences tournaments where upsets may occur.
The Huskers didn't play any of those teams.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, rand909 said:

Well from a "Pollyanna" perspective, my wife points out to me that if they don't make the NCAA they would certainly be a high seed in the WNIT.  With the way the WNIT tournament works, we would probably have additional opportunities (perhaps several) to watch them play here.

Would work for a good consolation.

you always choose tourney over the nit. always. no exceptions. and the biggest reason for this is generally for recruiting. there's a big difference among recruits from a perennial tourney team to an NIT stalwart. It helps to remember that most players dream of going to the tourney in hoops. You need to show them they can do that most of the time with you. 

We had a Top 20 recruiting class for 2018 with a 7- win season last year.

Consider what could be in store for the 2019 class with this 20+ win season, finish near the top of the B1G league, and also get's in to the "big show" or the NIT ??

Seems obvious...we have to be turning heads big time in not only the college women's Bball world.... but in H.S. girls basketball dreams of place to go for college.

There will always be those recruits who want to be "the show" on a big stage.  We see that all the time.  Kids transferring etc. to get there.  This is not the type of player that our WBB coach wants or will sign.  It took Tim Miles awhile to realize this team first concept but now seems to have players who buy into that.  You can tell the teams that fill that scenario.  They are the ones who play great defense.  Amy Williams came in with that knowledge immediately.  It just took a bad year to get to where we are today.  Amazing how fast the right kids will buy into that.  

Per McCowen:

Three ways to get into the dance...(which is pretty much what we're saying here)

1.  Win the last two Big Ten regular-season games, including at Maryland.

2.  Beat Penn State or Maryland — but not both — and win two at the Big Ten tournament, reaching the bracket finals.

3.  Win the Big Ten tournament.

Edited by redsteve