Rutgers: Saturday

Handy Johnson

As I harken back to my salad days, there was absolutely NOTHING better than strolling into the Devaney on a Saturday afternoon, sun streaming through the windows, to watch the Huskers battle in the rugged Big 8. Which brings us to this weekend. We have a special squad & I loved me some of that 2014 team, but this team is deeper and more versatile. We're in heady, heady times my friends and I'm certain that the best is yet to come...

There will be multiple teams that we play in the next few weeks that I feel will kind of fold if we jump out hot.

Illinois and Rutgers I think probably would with where their seasons are at.

Maryland and Indiana could with where their seasons are at.

I think PSU will put up a hell of a fight either way.  They have as much a chance at dancing as us I would say.  That right there could be a game that get's one of the teams in and the other would have work to do in New York.  I think the PSU game could become bigger than No Sit Sunday in terms of what is on the line for both teams.  Let's see how PSU does though.  If they can string a few wins together.... ya never know.

11 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

As I harken back to my salad days, there was absolutely NOTHING better than strolling into the Devaney on a Saturday afternoon, sun streaming through the windows, to watch the Huskers battle in the rugged Big 8. Which brings us to this weekend. We have a special squad & I loved me some of that 2014 team, but this team is deeper and more versatile. We're in heady, heady times my friends and I'm certain that the best is yet to come...

My childhood right there... Sunny Saturday afternoons with my dad at Devaney up in the wooden benches

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

I think the PSU game could become bigger than No Sit Sunday in terms of what is on the line for both teams.  Let's see how PSU does though.  If they can string a few wins together.... ya never know.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this sentiment. Depending on the result of the next couple of games for both teams, that game could grow bigger and bigger. But hey, another Sunday afternoon Senior Day game with the Big dance on our brains... I'm sure the Vault will be well prepped and ready 

20 hours ago, huskercwg said:

It will be a rugged game.  Rutgers is the type of team that needs to make the game ugly to stand a chance (we have been there and done that).  So they have a sluggers chance.  I sort of think that if we reach 60 points, we will win going away.

Agree the key is getting out quick, push the ball (we really play so much better when we do) and once ahead, don't look back.

My main concern for this game is Corey Sanders. Remember, this guy put up 31 against Purdue a few days ago. Rutgers are a scrappy team. They will need to fire on all cylinders to win, which unfortunately is possible. I've got Nebraska in this one, but dont be surprised if this game is closer than we think it will be. 

2 hours ago, huskercwg said:

When you walked to the BOB, the wind was in your face no matter which direction you were headed...

This. This should be engraved on a plaque somewhere describing the Bob and being an old school nebraska basketball fan.  And Somehow that seeped into my good memories,  with my dad. ??

14 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

The walk to Decaney made it so much better when you actually made it inside the door...a miracle I didn’t get frostbite on some of those walks. I have many fond memories of the Bob. My eyes may have welled up a bit during the video they played during the final game VS. Minnesota. 

I have a picture from that final game at the Bob as my screen saver...

3 hours ago, jimmykc said:

I hearken back to the endless hours I spent outside BDSC waiting for the seemingly endless trains which were always planned to coincide with the end of games. Usually the postgame radio show was over before we crossed the tracks. Can't say I miss that part of the experience.

I about died on those tracks one night. Going back to campus I had wrecked my ankle playing ball and was on crutches. All my friends ran across the tracks easily and I followed. It was in the dark and I did not understand how close the train was, anyway I made it across with like 2 seconds to spare. I was not a smart kid.

6 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

I about died on those tracks one night. Going back to campus I had wrecked my ankle playing ball and was on crutches. All my friends ran across the tracks easily and I followed. It was in the dark and I did not understand how close the train was, anyway I made it across with like 2 seconds to spare. I was not a smart kid.

I faintly remember witnessing something like this.  What year did that happen?

23 hours ago, huskercwg said:

There are some on here, me included, that also had great memories of the coliseum.  That place would literally and figuratively rock when it got going.  A very, very intimate venue to watch a BB game :)

My only basketball memories of the Coliseum are pick-up games with Tony Davis during the late '80s. That and AOPi Hoop-It of course...