uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 26 - @ Minnesota

uneblinstu

9 minutes ago, throwback said:

I feel like I'm supposed to write something about Craig Smith next here, but I just can't quite remember what .....

Winning will do that to the brain, I suppose.

Speaking of Craig Smith, any chance him and his team would want to become a regular in visiting PBA in the winter?  It's not a cakewalk of a game by hypothetically had we scheduled South Dakota over Deleware St our RPI would be projected to finish seven spots higher than it is now. 

they played road games at TCU, Duke and UCLA this year - the idea is to have his team play at as many different high profile venues as possible, I doubt he would be too interested in playing at PBA every year.  Also, Coach Smith's trajectory will probably have him coaching at a P5 program pretty soon anyway...

As good as Roby was on offensive end, I thought his defense was the story.  Really protects the rim and did a great job on Murphy.  He had a few times where he could of committed a foul but instead just let murphy score.  Was really glad to see this because we definitely needed him at the end of the game.!! 

Isaiah's really grown up a lot this year.  His two best games as a Husker have come in the last 3 games this season.  He's peaking at the right time for us.

Over the last 8 games, since the OT loss at PSU, he's averaged 58.7% from the floor and 36.4% from beyond the arc.  In that time, he's also averaged 10.4 points, 6.9 rebounds,  2.3 blocks and 2.0 assists.

When you have a guy scoring like James Palmer does, you don't need Isaiah to put up a ton of points.  You need that guy who can fill the stat sheet with other helpful contributions, which is exactly what we're getting out of Zay right now.

I kinda like this Roby kid.  I think he'll be alright.

12 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Isaiah's really grown up a lot this year.  His two best games as a Husker have come in the last 3 games this season.  He's peaking at the right time for us.

Over the last 8 games, since the OT loss at PSU, he's averaged 58.7% from the floor and 36.4% from beyond the arc.  In that time, he's also averaged 10.4 points, 6.9 rebounds,  2.3 blocks and 2.0 assists.

When you have a guy scoring like James Palmer does, you don't need Isaiah to put up a ton of points.  You need that guy who can fill the stat sheet with other helpful contributions, which is exactly what we're getting out of Zay right now.

I kinda like this Roby kid.  I think he'll be alright.

And one of those 8 games was Wisconsin where he had 0 points and only 17 minutes of play because of foul trouble.  You take that game out he is averaging 11.9 points, 7.3 rebounds, 2.5 blocks and 2.0 assists

Roby averaging a double double is not out of the question next year, and these stats don't show how many altered shots he causes, how many lanes he frees with picks or how many dumb passes he forces because of his presence down low.

Roby is going to be a good one for us!!!

4 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If he can learn to put the ball on the floor and drive like James Palmer and shoot treys like Thomas Allen, he'll be a lottery pick.

These are things he actually could learn.  You can't learn 6'8" with long arms and freakish athleticism, however.

Could wind up like a Bates-Diop from Ohio st. by the time he is a senior.

3 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Speaking of Craig Smith, any chance him and his team would want to become a regular in visiting PBA in the winter?  It's not a cakewalk of a game by hypothetically had we scheduled South Dakota over Deleware St our RPI would be projected to finish seven spots higher than it is now. 

I’d be really surprised if Craig was still in Vermillion next year. Ft. Collins would be my guess. 

2 hours ago, ConkintheCorner said:

As good as Roby was on offensive end, I thought his defense was the story.  Really protects the rim and did a great job on Murphy.  He had a few times where he could of committed a foul but instead just let murphy score.  Was really glad to see this because we definitely needed him at the end of the game.!! 

And the good defensive effort takes into consideration that Murphy hooked him on drives over half the time.  If you get away with it, then it ain't a foul.