Husker Women Hoops Recruiting 2021

Bugeaters1

I know she's a good volleyball player...so if Nebraska volleyball wants her....that may be the end of basketball.  Wonder if we've offered in volleyball?   Cook offers real early to eighth graders/freshman/sophomores.

.....Unless of course she prefers to play basketball over volleyball.

I'll look for videos...

I tried to keep on eye on Peyton During the game to see what her reaction was at various points in the game. The one wow factor was in the first half when PBA got ioud and everyone was standing. She looked around and said WOW. Now I hope, that had the same effect on Emily as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Edited by Bugeaters1

• 2 weeks later...

got a question on future recruits. no doubt the defense has improved, but.....the one thing i think is missing is that "lockdown" type. the one that can mirror a Buss or Flaherty. i watched the msu-michigan game and thought mccutcheon did a pretty darn good job on flaherty. i believe flaherty still ended up with 20...which i believe 6 of those points were from ft's. it was difficult to watch buss do what she did to the huskers. yeah, knew she would get some points, but, sure didn't expect her to pull out 37. 

guess i am thinking of the T. Laudermill(?) type--------she could really get in the pocket of the opponent.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

12 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

got a question on future recruits. no doubt the defense has improved, but.....the one thing i think is missing is that "lockdown" type. the one that can mirror a Buss or Flaherty. i watched the msu-michigan game and thought mccutcheon did a pretty darn good job on flaherty. i believe flaherty still ended up with 20...which i believe 6 of those points were from ft's. it was difficult to watch buss do what she did to the huskers. yeah, knew she would get some points, but, sure didn't expect her to pull out 37. 

guess i am thinking of the T. Laudermill(?) type--------she could really get in the pocket of the opponent.

Haven't talked about it much...but the elephant in the room all year has been our scoring inconsistencies. When we're hitting 3's we've done well...but at times we're not so consistent shooting. And watching recent games we've tried to drive to the basket to get more scoring. The coaches obviously recognize it and are working on the issue. 

Our defense has been huge keeping us competitive in games (and winning)...thank goodness and our stats rank us high in keeping other teams down in points...we may lead the league.... the last time I looked anyway. 

On the offensive end, we only have one player in the B1G top 30, in average scoring. Hannah. She's about 30th last time I checked. While we get points from several players, there's need for another that can reliably get near 15 ppg.  It's coming...but probably not until next year... from Katy, Taylor, Maddie, or ? after they have gotten this year's experience.   And by the time they're seniors ...wouldn't be a bit surprised to see it happen.  It will be fun to see how Katy improves after this years experience.

I doubt one of the incoming freshmen will be that ready, early anyway, to be a factor ..... that can be a big scorer...... that's yet to be seen. And a giant expectation. But we'll need at least a couple to step up and contribute after our seniors graduate. But that's all in the future. 

Coach Amy...you've set the bar pretty high this year.  More experienced overall, but lots of newbies, like last year.  What''s in store for next year?

As long as we're talking about expectations, despite it being a recruiting thread, one player in particular who has exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds is Cincore.  I had no idea she would play as well as she has being a 30 minute plus player.    Kudos to Jasmine, and 3 lashes to me for thinking it wouldn't happen.

My response to whoops post was primarily about shooters, and where we stand now, and how the newbies will fit in.

We got more out of everybody on the team..(freshman or returning players)..than I expected...that's pretty much why we're where are near the top the B1G rankings.  It's pretty easy to credit the coaching staff.. They've developed this team to what it is today.

You can go down the players list and find lots of great things in each player did....they've responded super and excelled.

Not sure what the expectations are for next year. We'll be a different team again.  Like I said earlier..Coach has set the bar pretty high.

Edited by redsteve

As many of the previous posts have noted this year everyone was going to be given an opportunity to step up their game now that most of the players had a year under Amy and staff.  Everybody has in various degrees done just that.  That should continue each year as that's what gaining experience does for you if you embrace it.  Don't want to get too far ahead since we have a lot of exciting BB left this year but barring a slew of injuries we will be better next year then this one.   

41 minutes ago, HB said:

As long as we're talking about expectations, despite it being a recruiting thread, one player in particular who has exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds is Cincore.  I had no idea she would play as well as she has being a 30 minute plus player.    Kudos to Jasmine, and 3 lashes to me for thinking it wouldn't happen.

Hear, Hear! Of them all, Jasmine has been the most pleasant surprise (and if memory serves, wasn't she considering transferring at some point after the coaching change?  If so I'm so glad Coach Williams convinced her to stay).  It seems that good Teams tend to make Every player better.

5 hours ago, HUD said:

As many of the previous posts have noted this year everyone was going to be given an opportunity to step up their game now that most of the players had a year under Amy and staff.  Everybody has in various degrees done just that.  That should continue each year as that's what gaining experience does for you if you embrace it.  Don't want to get too far ahead since we have a lot of exciting BB left this year but barring a slew of injuries we will be better next year then this one.   

That's certainly the hope here, anyway.

22 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

That would be great.  And also, since we're hoping/wishing, find someone like redsteve said that can get 15 or so ppg and be able to score in about every way (drive to the basket, shoot the long ball, pull up and hit the intermediate).  Theriot comes to mind obviously.  Yeah, I know, everybody wants that player.  <_<

Edited by mwm89

3 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

talking next season, one thing i would really like to see is Sam Haiby adjust very quickly and take over point guard and move hannah to shooting guard. 

Plus you have Bria with a year under her belt as well, so that may help some.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Payton is really talented. Has a great understanding of how to play, has a great frame and athleticism. Every school in the country wants her. Hopefully she will want to stay reasonably close to home. — Nu was n claflin KS last night along with ou ku KSU and Wichita state watching Emily Ryan last night. She would be an amazing pg for the Huskers if they can land her. - people on his board consider Haliby a pg and she is athletic enough to play it but she would prefer to play off the ball at 2 guard and nu views her as a combo would be my guess.  

While it's very early, and only seen a few games by Haiby......she may be best utilized as the shooting guard.......rather than at the point.

She certainly can run the point, but could it be a better use of her talents to be primarily a penetrator/ scorer, rather than making plays with assists ?

Edited by redsteve