Favorite Nebrasketball Moments

My list of games personally attended:

1) Any game at the Bob with my dad.  As mentioned in another post, the sun gleaming in through the windows, the freezing walk up the hill past all the men selling tickets for $5, the burst of wind as you walked in the doors,  sitting up in the dark on the wood benches, shuffling around the concourse outside looking at the merchandise booths, the old urinal troughs in the bathroom, going downstairs after the game and getting autographs.  Pinnacle is great but it's hard to let go of the Bob.

2) 2011 beating #2 Texas at the Bob.  I was a regular on the east side student section but my girlfriend (now wife!) at the time had never been to game at all.  I somehow convinced her to stand in line with me and go to this game.  We knew with what seemed like 5:00 of game time left that we were going to win and the anticipation of storming the court was really growing amongst all the students.  I told my girlfriend probably 10 times, "stay close to me and whatever you do just sprint as fast as you can and do not slow down or you will be trampled and die" as I had seen this happen way too many times in the mass of drunken/ecstatic humanity of NU students and football and basketball games.

Th buzzer sounds.  We were in row 2.  We made it to about the free throw line before I feel her slowing down.  I'm running beside her and try to drag her along but it's too late and she is consumed by the horde behind (and now on top of) her.  As shes lying on the floor screaming I try to claw my away against the tide back to her.  By the grace of God, enough students behind her are able to crawl off and go around her after a minute suffocating on the floor crying.

I scooped her carcass of the floor and walked her to the edge of the court and for longer than I will ever admit to her, I considered sitting her down and running back out to enjoy the mob scene at midcourt.  That was the first time I almost got her killed.....

3) Beating (ranked?) Oregon in overtime at the Qwest Center in Omaha in 2007 or 2008.  The first and only use of our portable traveling court.  (Can someone find out what dusty warehouse this is sitting in and sell off pieces of it to the public?  Don't know how or why the AD would spend what had to be a lot of money on a portable court to be used only ONCE!!)  THe atmosphere in the Qwest was pretty electric, and I remember being in awe of how red that crowd looked in Omaha of all places.  If I remember correctly, Dagunduro was a BEAST that game.

4) Watching Maric score 40-something points against K-State in 2007.  I remember just being in disbelief in the second half watching the stat board tick up and up for him.   Of course this is Aleks Maric we're talking about, so he probably could have scored 80, but missed 20 uncontested layups... :ph34r:

5) Most memorable for the wrong reasons: Senior night 2010.  Dont remember who won/lost, but in the waning moments of the game, someone in the upper student section of the Bob held up a sign saying simply "THANKS SEK"  A great gesture.  Then 5 seconds later his buddy next to him holds up a sign, ".... FOR NOTHING"  I liked Sek Henry during his time here, but this is one of those moments I still randomly think about 8 years later and just start laughing hysterically.

Looking back at this gets me pretty emotional... Nebrasketball has meant so much to me over the years...

Edited by Mr. Red

31 minutes ago, Mr. Red said:

2) 2011 beating #2 Texas at the Bob.  I was a regular on the east side student section but my girlfriend (now wife!) at the time had never been to game at all.  I somehow convinced her to stand in line with me and go to this game.  We knew with what seemed like 5:00 of game time left that we were going to win and the anticipation of storming the court was really growing amongst all the students.  I told my girlfriend probably 10 times, "stay close to me and whatever you do just sprint as fast as you can and do not slow down or you will be trampled and die" as I had seen this happen way too many times in the mass of drunken/ecstatic humanity of NU students and football and basketball games.

Th buzzer sounds.  We were in row 2.  We made it to about the free throw line before I feel her slowing down.  I'm running beside her and try to drag her along but it's too late and she is consumed by the horde behind (and now on top of) her.  As shes lying on the floor screaming I try to claw my away against the tide back to her.  By the grace of God, enough students behind her are able to crawl off and go around her after a minute suffocating on the floor crying.

I scooped her carcass of the floor and walked her to the edge of the court and for longer than I will ever admit to her, I considered sitting her down and running back out to enjoy the mob scene at midcourt.  That was the first time I almost got her killed.....

This story sounds awfully familiar...

tumblr_ljgfv791o71qghkx5o1_r5_400.gif

A couple have mentioned the NIT 3rd Round/Quarterfinals win over TCU.  I didn't get to go to a whole lot of games as a kid and was off to college the next year and have been out-of-state since then, but I went to that game with my older brother.  I think he was in law school at UNL at the time.

The atmosphere was great - I primarily remember Stan Cloudy from the team and the red, white and blue ball used in the NIT.  After the game was over, they blasted 'New York, New York' through the sound system.  It was awesome.

Some of my best memories are a little older than most of those here. These go back to the old Coliseum:

1. Sitting in he front row with my feet on the court as Jerry Fort (still my favorite player) went off for 40 points against Mizzou. I think it was Willie Davis for MU who had 28 that night. It was quite a battle of shooting guards.

2. Watching NU beat the Alex English led South Carolina Gamecocks. We held English to 4 points, although his running mate at forward had something like 19. SC had a freshman guard named Rickey Galloon who was supposed to be the best ball-handler to come into NCAA basketball since Pistol Pete. However, NU had a frosh guard named Brian Banks who made Galloon look foolish, including stealing the ball from him and getting layups on consecutive possessions in the second half at a critical juncture.

3. Watching Leroy Chalk come flying down the lane to tip in a missed shot as time expired to beat the Cliff Meely led Colorado Buffaloes.

4. I'm adding one more because someone mentioned Brendy Lee on the Legends thread. Watching him play defense was an R-rated experience: "C'mon you mother****er, try and drive around me. Just try it, mother****er. I'll hand you your mother****ing head." And the like. He was definitely a banger on defense before there were bangers.

Edited by Ashfan

9 minutes ago, Tallbaby21 said:

Anybody remember the band getting T’d up for playing Three Blind Mice?

I remember them doing that, and getting warned. One of the funniest moments I saw in the Bob was during a timeout immediately after a very questionable foul was called on an NU player. It was a tight game against KSU IIRC. The crowd had been going berserk, but finally had calmed down to a low grumble. The two (yes two) officials were standing in front of the  scorers table. All of a sudden something arced up and out of the crowd and landed directly at the feet of the officials. It was a pair of black, horn-rimmed glasses. 

Moody’s running 3 at the end of regulation tied it at 100 iirc.  Several players fouled out from both teams.  Beat KU on day 2 and lost to Doug Smith and Mizzou in championship game.  

How about beating ( top 5 ?) Michigan State (same year 90-91) early in the season on Beau Reid’s last second shot at home.   Danny’s progress was validated and it was a crazy fun year.  That year for me was probably the best.  I had been a rabid Husker hoops fan since the early 80’s.   It was just this feeling of “we’ve arrived”.  

****************************************************************************************************************************

We went to that Michigan State game.  I believe MSU was rated #4.  Their stud player was Steve Smith.  After Beau hit the big 3 there was a time out.  On the way to their benches for the time out, Steve Smith gave Beau a high 5.  I always rooted for Smith when he played in the NBA because of that.

Edited by DoveBirdDon