The Media Thread

Bugeaters1

6 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

watched a couple of her games.....she had 30+ points in both. you have to wait for her to get down the floor, but, she is awful good around the basket. wonder if minny tried to recruit her (home state gal)?

texted my cousin in minny about her......he stated that he heard she wasn't interested in playing for Stollings when she was at minny. same class as Czinano and Haiby he said. 

in case you are bored and not doing anything between 7-8pm😉

23 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

in case you are bored and not doing anything between 7-8pm😉

that was kind of a fun hour. Scoggins kinda has that gift for gab...so she fits right in. i'm assuming this has been a weekly show? i see she will be on Monday evening instead of tuesday because of the ball game. i just happen to stumble upon the tweet about the show. i'm wondering if this is all part of that NIL?

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding coverage of our WBB team, I recently subscribed to the electronic version of the Lincoln Journal Star. I am pleased with the attention they give the Lady Huskers.  I have to admit, I'm cheap.  The OWH recently doubled the rate of their electronic edition, so rather that pay $19+ a month, I paid LJS $49 for a year.   I'm glad I did.

Excellent article on Markowski today.   GBR

24 minutes ago, 12dozen said:

Excellent article on Markowski today.

In an article about football today towards the end Sam Mc. had the following tidbit in the OWH:

As NU women’s basketball prepares for a huge Valentine’s Day game against Indiana, it’s high time the team’s top guards Jaz Shelley and Sam Haiby kick their games into the highest gear they can manage.

It’s clear Haiby is playing through shoulder pain after an injury from the first IU game, but February and March are when guards make shots, draw fouls and put teams on their backs.

True, some of the Huskers’ best teams relied on Karen Jennings and Kelsey Griffin, two of the programs’ best players all time. Alexis Markowski may get there one day — and that’s no hyperbole. But it’s a lot to ask a freshman, as well as she’s playing, to carry this team to a deep run in March.

57 minutes ago, HUD said:

I have found over the years that the rates for both the OWH and LJS are negotiable. Some times you may have to cancel for a month to get the best rate going forward.

I did receive a call from OWH, offering a reduced rate.  Unfortunately, it was for the print/digital service, not even the type subscription I had cancelled.  Amused me.

2 hours ago, 12dozen said:

I did receive a call from OWH, offering a reduced rate.  Unfortunately, it was for the print/digital service, not even the type subscription I had cancelled.  Amused me.

Ever since OWH was sold by Buffett to Lee Enterprises in 2020 the "local" newspaper has taken another route.

Not that it matters to anyone....

Subscription scenarios, rate costs, reporting, getting rid of many, of the long time excellent reporters, etc., has changed so that OWH just isn't attractive to me anymore, after having been a subscriber for many years. 

Stuff by Sam Mc is usually good info. though. Markowski...heck yes...she's just getting started.

Good Article by Sam McK in today's OWH (sorry but it seems to be subcriber-only content!  here are a few snippits)

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/as-nebraska-heads-into-final-month-jaz-shelley-and-sam-haiby-are-hitting-high-gear/article_e365a1f6-8ed3-11ec-85be-cba2058bda6e.html

As Nebraska heads into final month, Jaz Shelley and Sam Haiby are hitting high gear

And after NU’s 72-55 knockout of No. 5 Indiana on Monday night, coach Amy Williams thinks that’s precisely what happened.

The Huskers, who frequently play 11 or 12 players per game, finished with a 20-8 fourth quarter against the Hoosiers, who prefer a much tighter rotation. In that quarter, NU had a 17-0 run that broke open a close game.

NU had seven players log double-digit minutes against IU. Four starters logged 30 or more. That mirrors Indiana’s preference for rotating six players for regular minutes.

But the Hoosiers have been doing that for a month. The Huskers have not.

IU has four starters averaging at least 30 minutes. Ohio State and Michigan have three. Maryland has two. Iowa has one, but star guard Caitlin Clark almost never leaves the floor.

Nebraska is the outlier. As it enters Thursday night’s game at Penn State, no Husker is averaging 30 minutes. Nine average double-digit minutes and 11 basically average at least 10 minutes.

Edited by Red Don

• 3 weeks later...

https://huskers.com/news/2022/3/9/womens-basketball-huskers-invite-fans-to-watch-party.aspx

Coach Amy Williams and the Huskers invite all fans to join them for the Nebraska Women's Basketball NCAA Tournament Selection Show presented by Woodhouse Auto at Pinnacle Bank Arena on Sunday, March 13.

Doors at Pinnacle Bank Arena will open at 6 p.m., with a program hosted by Huskers Radio Network personality Matt Coatney beginning at 6:30, which will include special videos, full introductions of the Huskers and messages from Coach Williams, players and Vice Chancellor, Director of Athletics Trev Alberts.

The 30-minute program will build up to the official NCAA Women's Basketball Championship Selection Show televised live on ESPN, which will be shown inside PBA on a lowered center video cube beginning at 7 p.m. The Selection Show will unveil the first-ever 68-team bracket for NCAA Division I women's basketball, while announcing seeds and game locations for participating teams.

Nebraska, which owns the most victories of any Big Ten team this season, will carry a 24-8 record and a No. 23 NET ranking into the postseason. Second-team All-Big Ten selections Jaz Shelley (Moe, Australia) and Alexis Markowski (Lincoln, Neb.), the Big Ten Freshman of the Year, headline a starting five that includes honorable-mention All-Big Ten choices Sam Haiby (Moorhead, Minn.) and Isabelle Bourne(Canberra, Australia) along with freshman Allison Weidner (Humphrey, Neb.).

The Huskers, who went 11-7 in the Big Ten before advancing to the semifinals in the conference tournament, tied a program record by notching three wins over Associated Press Top 10 teams in 2021-22, including a pair of victories over No. 8/10 Michigan and a 72-55 win over No. 5 Indiana.

In addition to a strong starting five, Nebraska features one of the deepest benches in the Big Ten led by Bella Cravens (Laie, Hawaii), MiCole Cayton (Stockton, Calif.), Annika Stewart (Plymouth, Minn.), Ruby Porter (Adelaide, Australia), Kendall Coley (Minneapolis, Minn.), Kendall Moriarty (Wheaton, Ill.) and the leader of the bench mob Whitney Brown (Grand Island, Neb.).

The Nebraska Women's Basketball NCAA Tournament Selection Show presented by Woodhouse Auto will also be live streamed through @HuskersWBB Facebook, @HuskersWBB Twitter, Huskers You Tube and Huskers.com with Huskers Radio Network host Jessica Coody

Following the full announcement of the bracket, Nebraska players will be available for approximately 15 minutes to thank fans for their support during a 2021-22 season in which the Huskers ranked No. 13 nationally in total attendance (76,317) and 17th in average home attendance (4,489/game).

Admission to the event will be free. No concessions will be available.

PL

Edited by whoopdeedoo

3 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

https://huskers.com/news/2022/3/9/womens-basketball-huskers-invite-fans-to-watch-party.aspx

Coach Amy Williams and the Huskers invite all fans to join them for the Nebraska Women's Basketball NCAA Tournament Selection Show presented by Woodhouse Auto at Pinnacle Bank Arena on Sunday, March 13.

Doors at Pinnacle Bank Arena will open at 6 p.m., with a program hosted by Huskers Radio Network personality Matt Coatney beginning at 6:30, which will include special videos, full introductions of the Huskers and messages from Coach Williams, players and Vice Chancellor, Director of Athletics Trev Alberts.

The 30-minute program will build up to the official NCAA Women's Basketball Championship Selection Show televised live on ESPN, which will be shown inside PBA on a lowered center video cube beginning at 7 p.m. The Selection Show will unveil the first-ever 68-team bracket for NCAA Division I women's basketball, while announcing seeds and game locations for participating teams.

Nebraska, which owns the most victories of any Big Ten team this season, will carry a 24-8 record and a No. 23 NET ranking into the postseason. Second-team All-Big Ten selections Jaz Shelley (Moe, Australia) and Alexis Markowski (Lincoln, Neb.), the Big Ten Freshman of the Year, headline a starting five that includes honorable-mention All-Big Ten choices Sam Haiby (Moorhead, Minn.) and Isabelle Bourne(Canberra, Australia) along with freshman Allison Weidner (Humphrey, Neb.).

The Huskers, who went 11-7 in the Big Ten before advancing to the semifinals in the conference tournament, tied a program record by notching three wins over Associated Press Top 10 teams in 2021-22, including a pair of victories over No. 8/10 Michigan and a 72-55 win over No. 5 Indiana.

In addition to a strong starting five, Nebraska features one of the deepest benches in the Big Ten led by Bella Cravens (Laie, Hawaii), MiCole Cayton (Stockton, Calif.), Annika Stewart (Plymouth, Minn.), Ruby Porter (Adelaide, Australia), Kendall Coley (Minneapolis, Minn.), Kendall Moriarty (Wheaton, Ill.) and the leader of the bench mob Whitney Brown (Grand Island, Neb.).

The Nebraska Women's Basketball NCAA Tournament Selection Show presented by Woodhouse Auto will also be live streamed through @HuskersWBB Facebook, @HuskersWBB Twitter, Huskers You Tube and Huskers.com with Huskers Radio Network host Jessica Coody

Following the full announcement of the bracket, Nebraska players will be available for approximately 15 minutes to thank fans for their support during a 2021-22 season in which the Huskers ranked No. 13 nationally in total attendance (76,317) and 17th in average home attendance (4,489/game).

Admission to the event will be free. No concessions will be available.

PL

Wish I lived in the Lincoln area.  Sounds like a fun event to attend.

GBR

for anyone that might be interested: