The Media Thread

Bugeaters1

interesting read on Nebraska and the high school shot clock:

http://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recruiting/boys-basketball/sautter-the-time-is-now-for-a-shot-clock-in/article_b0e422c3-f602-524d-ba5e-8f5f887bed24.html

being from SD, all classes AA, A, and B (boys and girls) have the shot clock. my memory isn't that great, but, i know class AA started out as the lone class a number of years ago, then in the past couple or so years it trickled down to class A and for 2017-18 class B has its initial season. after the implementation of the shot clock in class AA, it was so hard to watch some of the stall tactics used in class A and B basketball. once the clock was installed in AA, watching some A and B games almost became unbearable. to make long story short, i am a big advocate of the high school shot clock.

i don't know enough about the Nebraska high school financial situations, but, just seems to me if South Dakota can figure out a way to do it for all classes----Nebraska should be able to come up with a plan. of course, that is if the people of Nebraska are really interested in the installation of a shot clock. it was a major concern in South Dakota that it would probably put a financial strain on some (or many) rural schools---but, they figured out how to make it work. i believe i read where it cost one school around $8000 to put the shot clocks in. then there is a cost to train shot clock operators and employ the operator. of course, times change and the cost may be a little higher now. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

34 minutes ago, huskerchode said:

SD also televises all the state HS basketball games, not just the championships.  I've only lived here a few years, but there are many differences (and not just sports), that have really opened my eyes that Nebraska has some work to do on many levels. 

Hey Nebraska the GOOD LIFE remember!

59 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

interesting read on Nebraska and the high school shot clock:

http://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recruiting/boys-basketball/sautter-the-time-is-now-for-a-shot-clock-in/article_b0e422c3-f602-524d-ba5e-8f5f887bed24.html

being from SD, all classes AA, A, and B (boys and girls) have the shot clock. my memory isn't that great, but, i know class AA started out as the lone class a number of years ago, then in the past couple or so years it trickled down to class A and for 2017-18 class B has its initial season. after the implementation of the shot clock in class AA, it was so hard to watch some of the stall tactics used in class A and B basketball. once the clock was installed in AA, watching some A and B games almost became unbearable. to make long story short, i am a big advocate of the high school shot clock.

i don't know enough about the Nebraska high school financial situations, but, just seems to me if South Dakota can figure out a way to do it for all classes----Nebraska should be able to come up with a plan. of course, that is if the people of Nebraska are really interested in the installation of a shot clock. it was a major concern in South Dakota that it would probably put a financial strain on some (or many) rural schools---but, they figured out how to make it work. i believe i read where it cost one school around $8000 to put the shot clocks in. then there is a cost to train shot clock operators and employ the operator. of course, times change and the cost may be a little higher now. 

I would like to see a shot clock in high school basketball in Nebraska. I don't go to that many games, but man can they get bogged down with some of the offense's.

• 2 weeks later...

sadly, getting to be a number of similar stories out there. just recently,  i think they ejected 4 hockey fans for yelling at a black hockey player. my best friend moved his family to florida a few years ago because his kid was a golf phenom coming out of middle school. the best friend had a nephew with serious golf connections down there, so, he wanted to get them down to florida. anyway, his other son plays hs basketball down there. i was talking to my friend just a couple weeks ago. he said you wouldn't believe what some of the black players call his kid during the games. nothing gets done. so, unfortunately it must get ugly either way at times. ☹️

my how times have changed---------i remember when i played in a bb game, i was dribbling down court, my calf cramped up on me and i yelled "sh**!" as i went down and got "T'd up" for swearing. i'm sure practically the whole crowd heard that ??

Edited by whoopdeedoo

1 hour ago, whoopdeedoo said:

sadly, getting to be a number of similar stories out there. just recently,  i think they ejected 4 hockey fans for yelling at a black hockey player. my best friend moved his family to florida a few years ago because his kid was a golf phenom coming out of middle school. the best friend had a nephew with serious golf connections down there, so, he wanted to get them down to florida. anyway, his other son plays hs basketball down there. i was talking to my friend just a couple weeks ago. he said you wouldn't believe what some of the black players call his kid during the games. nothing gets done. so, unfortunately it must get ugly either way at times. ☹️

Racism is not one way, that is for sure.

1 hour ago, whoopdeedoo said:

my how times have changed---------i remember when i played in a bb game, i was dribbling down court, my calf cramped up on me and i yelled "sh**!" as i went down and got "T'd up" for swearing. i'm sure practically the whole crowd heard that ??

I appreciate your honesty there.  B)

On 2/19/2018 at 6:38 PM, Bugeaters1 said:

Here is Vera Jones picks for FOY,COY, DPOY, POY.

First time poster and IU Hoosier women's basketball fan here with a comment on your coach Amy Williams.

When Tyra Buss and Amanda Cahill were taken out at the end of the IU-Nebraska game so the crowd could reward them, your coach joined in the applause for the two best players IU has had in a LONG time.

For what little it is worth, I thought it was a class act by a classy coach.

I personally hope the IU-Nebraska games become solid yet respectful rivalries.

I think they will.

1 minute ago, Nat Hill IV said:

First time poster and IU Hoosier women's basketball fan here with a comment on your coach Amy Williams.

When Tyra Buss and Amanda Cahill were taken out at the end of the IU-Nebraska game so the crowd could reward them, your coach joined in the applause for the two best players IU has had in a LONG time.

For what little it is worth, I thought it was a class act by a classy coach.

I personally hope the IU-Nebraska games become solid yet respectful rivalries.

I think they will.

Thanks for the comment on Coach. and anytime you need to talk WBB come on in.

10 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

no, she really didn't say much. a little surprised she didn't offer a little more (especially on the kissinger injury), but, whatever. i took it as everyone should be available, barring no surprises during the week.

THe less you tell the harder it is for opponents to game plan.   We have no need to know.   Good move coach.