uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 25 - @ Wisconsin

uneblinstu

3 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

I didn't see Dave Hoppen play growing up but I suspect that Ethan Happ's impact, game and career looks very similar. 

Happ's biggest issue, besides FTs, is that most of his surrounding cast wouldn't be in Nebraska's rotation.

Here is where he projects in Wisconsin's record books http://barttorvik.com/happ-watch.php

The game of basketball has evolved/changed between the multiple decades.  Dave did not have to deal as much with the physical play.  I also do not remember Dave's handles being remotely close to Happ's.  But I believe Dave has a better shot and was an overall better scorer. 

1 minute ago, huskercwg said:

The game of basketball has evolved/changed between the multiple decades.  Dave did not have to deal as much with the physical play.  I also do not remember Dave's handles being remotely close to Happ's.  But I believe Dave has a better shot and was an overall better scorer. 

Hoppen from the line: 77 percent for his career, 80 percent as a senior. Hopp > Happ

I feel like Jordy doesn't get enough props for what he brought to the game tonight (and really the last half dozen games or so)

I am starting to be a big Jordy fan!  #Normandie #RiskyRoadz
Hopefully he can play his way back into the starting line up.
i feel gill has struggled since starting and seems better coming off the bench along with evan

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, thattimeofyear said:

i feel gill has struggled since starting and seems better coming off the bench along with evan

Would you change the line up now given how we are playing?  The great thing about this team is that we could put together several different line ups with the depth and ability of this roster.  :) Heck, last night we had Evan playing either power forward or Post (I am not even certain Evan knew which one he was playing)

10 minutes ago, thattimeofyear said:

I'm not really sure if it matters if Jordy is starting or not.  His minutes are pretty much determined on how his foul situation is going.  Gill has struggled but I say don't mess with the lineup right now if we continue to win.  Gill still starts but maybe give Thomas more minutes?  JMO

5 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Two points:

1.  A lot of Roby's fouls come when he's trying to clean up after someone else's defensive error; and I hate it when a ref does the old Leslie Nielsen umpire routine from Naked Gun when calling a foul on the Huskers. 

2.  One of my favorite plays of the night came in the last couple minutes:  one of Wisconsin's bigs got the ball in front of the basket, with no Husker in front of or beside him; he went up for a two-hand dunk, except that Watson, standing behind him, went up first and blocked it from behind!  Nebraska got the rebound.

naked gun is an auto-like. it's a rule, I think. 

1 minute ago, AuroranHusker said:

The whole team will be getting two days of rest, but those won't be back-to-back days.

But unless they are dealing with an injury, I am betting that each and every player will be both in the gym and the weight room...and likely reviewing a butt load of film.

6 hours ago, Swan88 said:

He has a Wiki page.  Here is a highlight reel of his 2015-16 season: 

I watch that video of Brian Diaz and it's sort of melancholy because you see a player with these really incredible tools.  He has fantastic hands and good touch.  He's mobile for a guy that size.  He has good length and good hoops IQ.  Knows how to get good position and can score against defense when he gets the ball in low.  

Imagine him on this team.  

I'd love to get another kid like him, even if he doesn't dunk very much.

26 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I watch that video of Brian Diaz and it's sort of melancholy because you see a player with these really incredible tools.  He has fantastic hands and good touch.  He's mobile for a guy that size.  He has good length and good hoops IQ.  Knows how to get good position and can score against defense when he gets the ball in low.  

Imagine him on this team.  

I'd love to get another kid like him, even if he doesn't dunk very much.

Agreed.  He played very well while at Nebraska--for all the reasons you mention, Norm.  

Brian never deserved the grief and derision he's received from this fan base. 

And we desperately needed him to stay for another season, rather than leaving early for the pros back home. 

26 minutes ago, dskurz said:

He's still playing basketball?  He always looked like (to me) he never really cared for the game but just played it because he was tall & had some skills.  When we saw motivated Diaz, it was a something else, just didn't get it often enough.

Brian had a placid demeanor, which was often mistaken for a lack of fire and intensity.  But he had plenty of fire and intensity and demonstrated it, consistently, by playing hard and well.  And he’s kept on playing the game for many years hence—not bad for someone who “never really cared for the game.”

If you watch the 2015-16 video above, you’ll see the same (but slightly heavier) Brian that played at Nebraska.  

And I’ll repeat, Brian never deserved the derision, including the put-downs of his effort and intensity, that he received from this fan base.

4 hours ago, huskercwg said:

You're probably right about the physical play, but I do remember Hoppen held his own against Wayman Tisdale.  His touch around the basket was soooo good.

29 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Brian had a placid demeanor, which was often mistaken for a lack of fire and intensity.  But he had plenty of fire and intensity and demonstrated it, consistently, by playing hard and well.  And he’s kept on playing the game for many years hence—not bad for someone who “never really cared for the game.”

If you watch the 2015-16 video above, you’ll see the same (but slightly heavier) Brian that played at Nebraska.  

And I’ll repeat, Brian never deserved the derision, including the put-downs of his effort and intensity, that he received from this fan base.

His feet were what didn't allow him to be all he could be for us.

4 hours ago, cipsucks said:

You're probably right about the physical play, but I do remember Hoppen held his own against Wayman Tisdale.  His touch around the basket was soooo good.

Lots of good points. Hoppen played when the 5 was almost exclusively back to the basket. Happ is more agile and has better handles but Hoppen wouldn't have ever been asked (perhaps not even allowed) to develop those skills. His offensive post skills were as good as his athletic ability allowed. 

He did have to be physical, and they hit him in practice with those pads football coaches would use. Also, he played before the 3 point line so double teams tended to be closer and quicker to arrive. He often scored half of the team's points.

I also used to be him in my driveway and score 40 on Kansas, including the buzzer beating game winner. ?

My all time favorite Husker cager.

5 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

His feet were what didn't allow him to be all he could be for us.

Diaz took way too much grief.  If freshman Brian Jorge Diaz is on our team this year, we are a Sweet 16 caliber team. He was everything we are missing. He was a very good passer as well. I could really see Copeland benefiting from playing with Diaz.