Iowa (11-11) vs. Nebraska (15-8) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

6 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Knee jerk is in my vocabulary. Is sarcasm in yours?  I was implying he was a troll just trying to stir the pot. Kind of like your response to me. 

Yeah I know what sarcasm is.  Poor use of it if that is what you were going for.  Absolutely nothing to suggest he was trolling.  I like new posters.  Bullshit like this is what keeps them away.  

13 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Yeah I know what sarcasm is.  Poor use of it if that is what you were going for.  Absolutely nothing to suggest he was trolling.  I like new posters.  Bullshit like this is what keeps them away.  

We will have to disagree. If your first post is whining about something that happened two weeks ago, that appears to be trolling to me. I have more of a problem when people are offended whenever someone disagrees with them and always immediately gets snarky. 

3 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Jack didn’t do anything wrong in that game.  He was playing good D, being disruptive, not turning it over.

Hind sights 50-50 but I think 22 mins in that game for jack was to many especially since he hasn’t played that many in all the games combined since, probably shoulda got palmer back in their for OT. But it is what it is. They were dealing w the jordy distraction and the rotation has been much better since

9 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Hind sights 50-50 but I think 22 mins in that game for jack was to many especially since he hasn’t played that many in all the games combined since, probably shoulda got palmer back in their for OT. But it is what it is. They were dealing w the jordy distraction and the rotation has been much better since

Here’s my take on it and since I’m not on the bench I’m just as likely to be wrong as right. My impression of James that night was he was starting to play for himself and not the team, hence the benching. With Jack on the floor they make it back for overtime and should have won in regulation. (Roby was fouled trying to set the last pick). I might of put James back on during OT but if he was set for selfish play, you send him a real bad message putting him back in for overtime. Meaning we have rules and standards until we need to win and then we have no consequences. If my outside view happens to be right, then obviously James has responded better than anyone could have hoped for. Since then he has been one of the best players in the league period. Again I aknowledge I’m just guessing here but I think it was a case of losing the battle in order to win the war. 

1 minute ago, Dean Smith said:

Here’s my take on it and since I’m not on the bench I’m just as likely to be wrong as right. My impression of James that night was he was starting to play for himself and not the team, hence the benching. With Jack on the floor they make it back for overtime and should have won in regulation. (Roby was fouled trying to set the last pick). I might of put James back on during OT but if he was set for selfish play, you send him a real bad message putting him back in for overtime. Meaning we have rules and standards until we need to win and then we have no consequences. If my outside view happens to be right, then obviously James has responded better than anyone could have hoped for. Since then he has been one of the best players in the league period. Again I aknowledge I’m just guessing here but I think it was a case of losing the battle in order to win the war. 

Yep... This ^^

By the way, this is James Palmer's response on how he played versus Penn State, this quote comes after the Illinois win:

Junior Guard James Palmer Jr.

On redeeming himself after the loss at Penn State:
“I definitely had to come out and play well this game, couldn’t have two bad games in a row. Penn State, I really think it was on me because I didn’t show up in a road game and we took the loss hard so we had to come out and play hard today. That’s what I tried to do, help the team as much as possible.” 

5 hours ago, royalfan said:

Knee jerk reaction would be joining and posting it immediately.  He clearly has thought it through and this is over two weeks later.  Obviously, you need to revisit your definition of what a knee jerk reaction is. This post clearly wasn't.  

Just wait until we don't win 

4 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

We will have to disagree. If your first post is whining about something that happened two weeks ago, that appears to be trolling to me. I have more of a problem when people are offended whenever someone disagrees with them and always immediately gets snarky. 

My bad, didn't know I had to post so many times prior to voicing an opinion.  If you re-read my post, I giving us props on last night, and I am discussing the difficulty of running the table to get in; if we don't get in and look back PSU will make us view it as the opportunity lost game.  And yes, I think it is fair to question benching your best scorer for the 2nd half and overtime of a one possession game.  Especially for a player that has seen minimal minutes and subsequently did not score in his replacement.

Is this OK, or did I cross some line?

4 minutes ago, ATupe said:

My bad, didn't know I had to post so many times prior to voicing an opinion.  If you re-read my post, I giving us props on last night, and I am discussing the difficulty of running the table to get in; if we don't get in and look back PSU will make us view it as the opportunity lost game.  And yes, I think it is fair to question benching your best scorer for the 2nd half and overtime of a one possession game.  Especially for a player that has seen minimal minutes and subsequently did not score in his replacement.

Is this OK, or did I cross some line?

Past history has shown that posters (many times the same poster under different names) that have created an account and their first posts are calling out players or coaches have turned out to be trolls or not who they say they are. If you’re a real person and not a troll I jumped the gun. But if your first post is calling out a coaching decision that happened two weeks ago that has been rehashed and discussed over and over again... 

I usually ignore that type of thing as a “whatever” that’s their opinion. I probably responded that way because I rescently allowed myself to be sucked into a trolls post about hoodies on warmups of all things. So that’s my problem not a reflection on you at  all.

My posts are usually on the technical or tactical side of the game or as a sunshine pumper calling out people who I think jump the gun or go too far in negativity. I have to admit to an impatience with people that would have no idea on how to teach a jump stop calling out professional coaches on such complicated strategic  decisions like playing time.  

Time will tell whether your a troll or a real poster. I welcome new real posters. I will just slip away now and wait to how things turn out while I root for Nebraska basketball. 

10 hours ago, ATupe said:

I thought we played very well last night, shot the ball as well as we have in a long time, perhaps all year.  Iowa has some nice pieces.  Give us a post player like Cook, please.  That's how it's done.  Good win, need to win out.

The best takeaway for me was I finally had a game where the rotations and minutes distribution didn't drive me up the wall of my living room.  Miles finally cores it down to 7 guys over 10 minutes and one with 9.  He is very slow to react to this, but hopefully he's there now for the stretch run.

Winning out is a lot to ask of any team, no matter the weakness of the schedule.  If we get left out of this thing, we'll be looking back at a few losses.

The Penn State loss is in the back of my mind as possible a** biting loss when it all shakes out.  For the life of me, benching Palmer in that game for McVeigh when you lose the game by a bucket in overtime could end up being the difference in the season.  God I hope not. I hope there was a much bigger reason than him going 1 for 9 in the first half for a guy that scored zero points and hasn't seen the court since.  Can't afford these type of knee jerk decisions going forward.   Let's keep playing this way and win the rest of the regular season.  The team is capable.

Yeah, I agree, we're finally figuring things out nut I think even if we miss this tourney it's alright abeit very disappointing. I'll settle for NIT, but with this talent it'd be a shame to miss simply for not taking one or two of those big upsets we usually have and were within 1 or 2 points of this time around. 

Let's go to Wisconsin and whip their ass. GBR

2 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

My posts are usually on the technical or tactical side of the game or as a sunshine pumper calling out people who I think jump the gun or go too far in negativity. I have to admit to an impatience with people that would have no idea on how to teach a jump stop calling out professional coaches on such complicated strategic  decisions like playing time  

And since you live by this philosophy I’m sure you have never had an opinion or taken a negative stance on a decision made by our president or representatives in congress since you don’t know how to write a legislative bill or executive order. 

1 hour ago, NUdiehard said:

And since you live by this philosophy I’m sure you have never had an opinion or taken a negative stance on a decision made by our president or representatives in congress since you don’t know how to write a legislative bill or executive order. 

We seem to have journeyed far from Nebraska basketball but that's a spurious correlation. My example would relate better to the hypochondriac who read a couple of medical websites and feel they are ready to diagnose major diseases. Your example could be improved if we change the writing of legislative bills since that is not political but legal expertise, to the knowledge of political philosophy. You don't need to know how to build the gym to teach basketball. And yes, I am also annoyed by people who want to "express" their political leanings  but their knowledge of political ideology  is so truncated that you end up having to explain the underpinnings of either Edmund Burke or Jean Jacques Rousseau's rationalities (depending on what side of the spectrum they believe they are on), and try to explain to them in the classical sense the "whys" of  what they say they believe. Just like on this board in those cases I overwhelmingly just roll my eyes, say nothing and let them spout off. Bottom line is that I am too easily annoyed. That is no one's fault but my own.

Edited by Dean Smith