Fuddy Duddy Post of the Day

jimmykc

While awaiting tomorrow's game I was overcome by a wave of nostalgia. As we all know this is defined as a ""wistful yearning for something past". I remember when my weekends were planned around bringing my family to Saturday games. These were mainly at night, sometimes in the afternoon, or very rarely on Sunday afternoon. The games were eagerly anticipated events around which meals were also planned. Now a Saturday night game is a dinosaur. Oh well, most kids today would rather sit around poking at their E-bays anyway.

How about remembering having to get to games in the old Coliseum before game time to get decent seats as a student. Still remember going 4 hours before the start of game time with 3 friends when NU played the Alex English lead South Carolina team. It was a 6:30 tip-off if I remember correctly. We still were several rows up from the front row and played 10 point pitch to pass the time. 

While indulging in wandering down dusty corridors of my memory, I vaguely recall one of those rare Sunday games coinciding with a game Dick Vitalli called in which Terrance Badgett played a big role. Seems I remember picking up one of my college age sons at his dorm and missing part of a tv game in which Bird scored 50+ points for the Celtics. But my memory may be playing tricks. Better go check my E-bay to be sure.

16 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

While indulging in wandering down dusty corridors of my memory, I vaguely recall one of those rare Sunday games coinciding with a game Dick Vitalli called in which Terrance Badgett played a big role. Seems I remember picking up one of my college age sons at his dorm and missing part of a tv game in which Bird scored 50+ points for the Celtics. But my memory may be playing tricks. Better go check my E-bay to be sure.

Dad? Is that you?

26 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I remember that game. I think Badgett ended the game with a resounding dunk. Unfortunately, I forget who the opponent was (Kansas, Iowa St. ?). We played zone that day with Badgett at the top. I remember those as the "glory days." 

It was KU I know. and the only objective evidence I could find was that Brian Rosenthal named it one of his "10 best wins" in a 2013 list. Don't know if it was a on a Sunday or not and whether it coincided with the Bird game. But as was once stated in a John Ford movie (The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance), "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend".

3 hours ago, jimmykc said:

It was KU.  Strickland, Boone, Badgett, and Woolridge were true freshmen and let KU have it.  19pts, 14rbs from Derrick Chandler.  

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

It was KU.  Strickland, Boone, Badgett, and Woolridge were true freshmen and let KU have it.  19pts, 14rbs from Derrick Chandler.  

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

Ah, Derrick Chandler. It would be nice to have a player of his caliber who could get some buckets in the post on the current team. 

11 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Well, I got the Sunday part right anyway. Guess it would have been hard for Bird to score 50 though since he retired in August of '92. Eh, what the hell...print the legend!

Jimmy, when you came up with the day of the week for a date a quarter of a century ago, you might have been able to convince some you were  hyperthymestic.

Recalling Bird scoring half a hundred after he retired, not so much. ;)

9 hours ago, colhusker said:

How many of we old timers here from Lincoln played Little Fry basketball and got to play at half time at the old coliseum?  

The time we were to play I was home sick and didn't get to.  And was also home sick the night of the championship game, my mom said I could play if I could my temp down to 100.  I got it to 102 in an ice bath.  I cried for like 3 hours that night.

I run high temps when I am sick.  Had a 105 in the hospital once, scared the hell out of a nurse.;)

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

Why doesn't Kansas St. bring back the lavender jerseys and dark purple shorts? That "Powercat" logo and and their current uniforms are just WRONG! I always remember the SI cover with Rolondo Blackmon knocking off #1 Oregon St...

Loved those uni's

With "Easy" Ed ... drawing a blank on the huge center they had back in the day.