Double bye (4th place) not out of the question

PimpMario

We are 5th place and hold the tie breaker against 4th Michigan.

We also don't play and of the top 4 teams the rest of the way.

I would say our chance of finishing first or second is 0%. But 4th-6th is reachable.

Indiana has 4 games left against ranked teams. Michigan has 2.

But 4th is realistic if we can string together some wins. Every game becomes super important.

If we get a double bye maybe we can get a shot at a Teir 1 win.

2410fe15b18f3962936070a85e32335d.jpg

Edited by PimpMario

2 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

If we get a double bye maybe we can get a shot at a Teir 1 win

We're in that weird territory where that double bye is either good or bad for us. Getting an extra win without that bye isn't the worst thing, but the double bye also prevents us from potentially getting a loss from a bad team. Not sure how I feel either way at this point.

2 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

We're in that weird territory where that double bye is either good or bad for us. Getting an extra win without that bye isn't the worst thing, but the double bye also prevents us from potentially getting a loss from a bad team. Not sure how I feel either way at this point.

1 minute ago, jdostal said:

Some people don't want the double bye because they want the extra win vs. Iowa/Illinois/Rutgers THEN the game against a Michigan. I'll take the double bye; I'm not sure how much a win against RPI ??? helps. Take me straight to the tier 1/2 opponent. Then we have a chance to win an important game on full rest.

Either way we have to win at least 1 game to get a shot at Purdue, OSU or MSU.

I get that a 6 seed would give us a shot at the 3 seed but we would still have to win a game.  If we get the 4 seed we win a game against the 8 seed and get a shot at Purdue.  And as long as I am dreaming of beating Purdue we only need to win the next game to punch our dancing card!

2 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

Not only reachable, but probable. In fact, after last night, teamrankings.com says that those three finishes are the three most likely finishes for us. In order of likelihood... 5th, 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th.

Awesome!  I like 4th a lot better.  Such a huge difference between 4th and the others.

I think of those, 4th gives us the best chance to go on a mini run and pick up 2 wins.

The 5th place team will have just played a game, and who knows, they might lose.

Edited by PimpMario

3 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Yep, I know the selection committee doesn't look at conference standings but a top 4 finish in the Big Ten should put us in good standing or close to good standing with whatever metrics they want to go by. 

It is possible we get the 4th seed by tiebreakers over 2 or 3 other teams.  

Double BYE and its not even debatable (IMO).  If we get the double bye, that means we have won a good share of games to end the season.  Not only that, some on here want the chance to get another win with a lower seed.  You are also taking the risk of a late "bad" loss.  If you get the double bye, you have a "better" chance to play a better team and not even risk the "bad" loss.

Lets just keep on winning!

Edited by bball23

Double bye every day and twice on Sundays.  I know ther have been some Big 10 teams left out with 10-11 conference wins, but has the 4 seed in the tournament ever been left out?  To get the 4 seed we probably need 12 wins minimum and a 12 win Big 10 team has never been left out.

I also think we can win the whole damn thing.  I don’t think any team has won having to play that extra game though... but don’t quote me on that.  Either way, it’ll be a lot easier to win the whole thing playing 3 games instead of 4.

Lastly, it’s human nature to at least not peek at outside things.  The committee is human.  I would much rather see them watch us as a 4th best Big 10 team than a 5th.  That means at least 1 team that they “for sure” have in finished BELOW us.

57 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Was getting ready to type this exact thing.