Selection Committee Games of Interest

hhctony

2 hours ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

Northwestern beats Michigan. Hurts the chances of Michigan finishing in Quad 1. Helps the chances of NW finishing in Quad 1. Most importantly IMO, it makes our best win look worse.

The team was certainly thrilled with the Michigan loss if Gill comments any indication.   A little closer for me, but I certainly agree.  

37 minutes ago, royalfan said:

The team was certainly thrilled with the Michigan loss if Gill comments any indication.   A little closer for me, but I certainly agree.  

Yeah I mean I can understand the team’s focus being on positioning themselves for a B1G tourney run, which means getting that 4 seed is big. I still think it’s a really bad look when your best win is only a home game against a soon-to-be unranked team. We want Michigan to win out. At this point, we’d have to lose two games to give up the 4 seed.

1 minute ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

Yeah I mean I can understand the team’s focus being on positioning themselves for a B1G tourney run, which means getting that 4 seed is big. I still think it’s a really bad look when your best win is only a home game against a soon-to-be unranked team. We want Michigan to win out. At this point, we’d have to lose two games to give up the 4 seed.

Mannnn.  We get it dude.  It seems like a lot of your posts are just to tell people why Nebraska WONT get in.  Take a second and just enjoy the win.  Join in the fun of saying we will get in.  Take a big drink of this red beverage we’re all passing around.  Then if we don’t make it in the end, you can tell us why.

Damn, only a four spot jump on realtimerpi.com. Up to 54 from 58.

Road wins are better than home wins, too. What that tells me is we’re provably going to actually drop in RPI if we beat Rutgers. Maryland is really the only game left that has potential to boost us up the rankings. Can’t afford any worse than a 4-1 finish. Good news is I think we’ll do it.

3 minutes ago, royalfan said:

I don't want them to be able to take Michigan and not us if Michigan wins a 5-4 game in New York.  This helps that.  

If Michigan closes out the season strong enough to earn the 5 seed, they’ll already be in the dance. If they then beat us in the 4/5 game, they’ll be a 7 seed at the very worst. We would not even be close to competing for them for a spot in that scenario.

8 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Mannnn.  We get it dude.  It seems like a lot of your posts are just to tell people why Nebraska WONT get in.  Take a second and just enjoy the win.  Join in the fun of saying we will get in.  Take a big drink of this red beverage we’re all passing around.  Then if we don’t make it in the end, you can tell us why.

Yeah we’re going dancing baby! Happy?

Don’t worry, I’m enjoying it plenty. I’m pumped about this team, I think they can make a run in the tourney, and at this point I think we’ll get in the tourney (like I said in a post above). I’m very optimistic and excited about what they’ve become and can do. Doesn’t mean I can’t take a step back and try to see the big picture from an objective viewpoint. You want to pass out drunk from your red koolaid, go ahead. In the meantime I’ll be rooting for Michigan.

On 2/5/2018 at 11:45 PM, HuskerFever said:

Tuesday's Games:

UCF/Cincinnati - this would be a big win for us

Tennessee/Kentucky - why not see Kentucky continue to fall?

Michigan/Northwestern - need that Tier 1 win! (and let's do it again in the Big Ten tourney)

South Carolina/Arkansas - South Carolina currently lost their bubble chances; let's see Arkansas do the same

Alabama/Mississippi State - continue to knock down Alabama back into the bubble

Buffalo/Central Michigan - Buffalo knows how to win the RPI game

Boston College/Notre Dame - would help the RPI

Georgetown/Providence - Georgetown is awful but Providence is in the tournament right now

TCU/Kansas - double win for us

Nebraska/Minnesota - no brainer

Missouri/Ole Miss - Missouri has won some important ones to put themselves in the tournament

Boise State/New Mexico - need Boise State to lose this one

Updated.

On 2/5/2018 at 11:53 PM, HuskerFever said:

Wednesday's Games:

Maryland/Penn State - toss up, but I'll default to the "we play them twice" pick

LSU/Florida - Florida just fell out of the Top 25, keep it coming

St. John's/Villanova - they beat Duke, now do it again!

Virginia/Florida State - need FSU to start losing games again

Wake Forest/Miami - Wake Forest needs to beat some ACC opponents

Marquette/Seton Hall - Marquette is teetering on the bubble

Saint Louis/St. Bonaventure - St. Bonaventure is also teetering on the bubble

Kansas State/Texas - on the fence for this one, default to "down with Texas"

Ohio State/Purdue - just a great matchup to keep on your radar, picking Purdue to get the high NCAA tourney seed

Georgia/Vanderbilt - Georgia is hot and cold on the bubble

Texas A&M/Auburn - Texas A&M teetering on the bubble

NC State/Virginia Tech - this one is tough, maybe NC State since they seem solidly in?

Bump.

On 2/6/2018 at 12:08 AM, HuskerFever said:

Thursday's Games:

Pittsburgh/Clemson - doesn't really matter, but why not?

Georgia Tech/Louisville - Georgia Tech would be lucky to make the NIT

Marist/Saint Peter's - need Marist to win more than 5 games in a season

Stetson/South Carolina Upstate - win/win for us

Eastern Illinois/SIU-Edwardsville - win/win for us

North Texas/UAB - win/win for us

Florida Atlantic/Western Kentucky - WKU is still hanging on the bubble

SMU/Houston - tricky but Houston is currently 'in' and SMU on the bubble, both teams still play each other twice and both still play Cincinnati, SMU has Wichita State remaining, going with Houston to perform better long term

CSU Bakersfield/New Mexico State - NMSU is in the field right now

Sacramento State/Montana State - win/win for us

North Dakota/Weber State - win/win for us

UCLA/Arizona - really need Arizona to win this one

Washington/Oregon - sure would be nice if Oregon won this one

USC/Arizona State - tricky one, ASU is trending downward but they're likely making a splash in the tourney

Friday's Games:

Minnesota/Indiana - using the "we play Minnesota twice" logic

Go enjoy some hoops this week! Much more to come on the weekend!

Bump.

37 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

If Michigan closes out the season strong enough to earn the 5 seed, they’ll already be in the dance. If they then beat us in the 4/5 game, they’ll be a 7 seed at the very worst. We would not even be close to competing for them for a spot in that scenario.

Michigan likely has at least one more loss in them between the road games at Maryland and Penn State.  They should win at Wisconsin, unless they play like they did tonight, and should beat Iowa, and I'd say that they'll beat Ohio State at home but that's not a given.  If they do lose 2 more, they'd be 22-9 and 11-7 with probably only a 50/50 chance of making the tournament without a conference tournament win.  If they only lose 1 more, they look to be in no matter what.  If they lose 3, they're probably out.

As for competition for the 5 seed - Northwestern could go 11-7 if they beat Michigan State at home, but 10-8 is probably the best they could do.  It looks like the best Penn State could do is 10-8.  Maryland could go 10-8 if they only lose one more out of @ Nebraska, @ Penn State, @ Northwestern, and Michigan, so they're probably out of contention for the 5 seed.  And Indiana could go 10-8 if they beat Ohio State at home.  (That's all assuming that we handle Penn State, Maryland, and Indiana at home.)

It's also possible that Ohio State could lose the rest of their road games and end up 13-5 which could make the 3 seed up in the air.

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

Just now, Vinny said:

Sorry to interrupt the fun, but does anyone know which ranking system the committee is using for their quadrants?  I browsed a few articles and couldn't find a solid answer.  I'm assuming it's RPI?

Here's your quadrants:

Quadrant 1: Home 1-30; Neutral 1-50; Away 1-75

Quadrant 2: Home 31-75; Neutral 51-100; Away 76-135

Quadrant 3: Home 76-160; Neutral 101-200; Away 136-240

Quadrant 4: Home 161-plus; Neutral 201-plus; Away 241-plus

Based on RPI.

43 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

We could win out the rest of our games in the season, lose our first game in the B1G tourney and improbably find ourselves in the NIT. Given the methodology for picking teams seems to have changed we should figure out how we could be out in addition to how we could be in.

17 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Here's your quadrants:

Quadrant 1: Home 1-30; Neutral 1-50; Away 1-75

Quadrant 2: Home 31-75; Neutral 51-100; Away 76-135

Quadrant 3: Home 76-160; Neutral 101-200; Away 136-240

Quadrant 4: Home 161-plus; Neutral 201-plus; Away 241-plus

Based on RPI.

Northwestern winning tonight put them at 82... They are real close to being a quadrant 1 win too, so maybe it wasn't so bad Michigan lost

1 minute ago, big red22 said:

Northwestern winning tonight put them at 82... They are real close to being a quadrant 1 win too, so maybe it wasn't so bad Michigan lost

Definitely a hard balancing act. This might be one of those "we'll look back at it and wished we rooted for Northwestern" games, but who knows? I guess we'll just have to hope both Michigan and Northwestern do their parts and make some big moves before the end of the season.

15 minutes ago, big red22 said:

This is what’s so crazy to me.  Say NW and Michigan win out and the Huskers go 4-1 get the four seed and we get in with 2 Tier one wins!

Say the Huskers go 4-1 but Michigan and NW flutter a little in the end.  The Huskers don’t get in though.

Whats the difference!?!?  We did our part, but because other teams didn’t do theirs that makes us a worse team?  I just don’t buy that.  I guess just keep winning and it won’t matter if Michigan and NW go undefeated or 0fer to end the season.

1 minute ago, hhcdimes said:

We could win out the rest of our games in the season, lose our first game in the B1G tourney and improbably find ourselves in the NIT. Given the methodology for picking teams seems to have changed we should figure out how we could be out in addition to how we could be in.

If 14-4 doesn't get us in...well, the only time a major conference team went 14-4 and was left out was Washington in 2012.  They were regular season champions while we wouldn't be, but they had 21 wins while we'd have 23.  And one thing to remember - the Pac 12 went 2-25 in the nonconference that year vs teams that finished in the top 50 of the RPI.  The Big Ten is a little better - Purdue beat Arizona, Butler & Louisville, Michigan State beat North Carolina, Michigan beat Texas, Maryland beat Butler, Wisconsin beat Western Kentucky, Minnesota beat Alabama, Illinois beat Missouri, and Rutgers beat Seton Hall.  So while the Big Ten's non-conference showing this year wasn't anything great, it doesn't even come close to the historically atrocious record of the Pac-12 in 2012.

2 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

If 14-4 doesn't get us in...well, the only time a major conference team went 14-4 and was left out was Washington in 2012.  They were regular season champions while we wouldn't be, but they had 21 wins while we'd have 23.  And one thing to remember - the Pac 12 went 2-25 in the nonconference that year vs teams that finished in the top 50 of the RPI.  The Big Ten is a little better - Purdue beat Arizona, Butler & Louisville, Michigan State beat North Carolina, Michigan beat Texas, Maryland beat Butler, Wisconsin beat Western Kentucky, Minnesota beat Alabama, Illinois beat Missouri, and Rutgers beat Seton Hall.  So while the Big Ten's non-conference showing this year wasn't anything great, it doesn't even come close to the historically atrocious record of the Pac-12 in 2012.

I'm not ready to leave it up to chance.

46 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

That freakin' 1 point loss to KU still haunts me. Ughh.

so does the 2 pt loss at psu. and the 5 pt loss at osu. we've had quite a few chances to nail that coffin lid down and we passed. So if we misss the tourney, it'll have been our own doing. 

all that said, I'm just really enjoying this season, and find myself not really worrying at all about how it finishes. this is a fun team to follow. and they've given us a great ride. if that ride goes to the NIT, I'm still going to enjoy it.