Selection Committee Games of Interest

hhctony

19 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

Thanks for doing this, @HuskerFever. Trimming down tonight's list, it looks to me as if the most important games are:

- Boston College over Syracuse (probably #1)

- Xavier over Providence

- South Carolina over LSU

I think you accidentally bolded Kentucky instead of Ole Miss, but like you said, not that important.

I'm also pretty sure that Seton Hall is in either way win or lose tonight.

Notre Dame/Pitt might be an important one as well (I think we know what the outcome will be though). If Notre Dame can do some damage in the ACC tournament, we could be sweating bullets. That is, if we don't do some damage ourselves.

I can't believe you guys stayed up that late last night watching those mediocre teams play. You could have been at my house and been sweating bullets over whether a spring training Red Sox team (at least they were wearing Red Sox uniforms) was going to hold off a team wearing Twins uniforms in the ninth. And , by the way, I'm pretty sure Oklahoma's 20 point loss to Baylor will make certain the Sooner's get a high seed in Loonari's brackets.

7 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I can't believe you guys stayed up that late last night watching those mediocre teams play. You could have been at my house and been sweating bullets over whether a spring training Red Sox team (at least they were wearing Red Sox uniforms) was going to hold off a team wearing Twins uniforms in the ninth. And , by the way, I'm pretty sure Oklahoma's 20 point loss to Baylor will make certain the Sooner's get a high seed in Loonari's brackets.

Well I assume when Baylor can beat a top 16 seed like that, that moves Baylor to #15

Big Ten Tourney  Illinois/Iowa-  4:30 BTN  Pick em   Need Illinois as we played them twice
Providence 43/Xavier 2 - 5:30 FS1  Xavier - 10 Badly need Xavier
LSU 82/South Carolina 75 - 5:30 SEC Network  S. carolina -5  Need South Carolina
Pittsburgh 207/Notre Dame 67 -  6pm ESPNU  Notre Dame - 20  Need Pittsburgh.  How did Pittsburgh get this bad?
Villanova 3/Seton Hall 22 - 7:30  FS1  Villanova -6  Need Villanova
Texas A&M 28 /Georgia 70 - 7:30 SEC Network  Georgia -1  Need Georgia here 
Florida State 47/Clemson  10- 8pm ESPNU  Clemson -4  Need Clemson
Syracuse 44/Boston College 102 - 8pm ACC Network/ESPN3  Syracuse -1  Need Boston College very badly
Butler 34/St. John's 88 - 8pm CBS Sports Network Butler - 2 1/2  Need St. Johns
Eastern Illinois/Tennessee State - 8:30   http://ovcdigitalnetwork.com/watch/?Live=6278&type=Live  Tennessee St - 3 1/2  Need Eastern Illinois.  Also, would appreciate some help scouting these rims in this building.  Have a potential HUGE play tomorrow on an Ohio Valley tourney game that I will share, but need to see how tight or loose the rims are.  Try not to be influenced simply by shots going in or not if you weigh in.  Easier said than done.  

I swear after every night these bracketotologists are like... "Who can we keep ahead of Nebraska?"  One bracket kind of stood out to me.  This bracket is why I think this is the common narrative behind all of these predictions.  "The Best Damn Bracket Period" it is like the 5th or 6th one in on the Bracket Matrix.  It has "The first 5 out" and "The Next 5 out" and you guessed it we are in the first 5 out with UCLA, Utah, Texas and Syracuse being ahead of that on this list.  It also has Alabama, Baylor, St. Bonaventure, USC, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas State and Providence in the field.  Although I feel like we should be in over every one of those teams listed above I am going to focus on UCLA, Utah, Texas and Syracuse, because even though they are not in the field they are listed ahead of us.

UCLA 

• They are in the Pac 12 which is rated significantly worse than the Big 10 in all metrics but the RPI
  • They have a conference record of 10-7 and overall record of 19-10.
  • They are Ranked below Nebraska in every metric in the ESPN Power Rankings other than RPI (See Marist, Stetson and Delaware State)
  • Their Kenpom is 55... Nebraska is #51
  • Their SOR is 63... Nebraska is now #31
  • Their SOS is 67... Nebraska is now #59
  • Their  RPI is 53... Nebraska is now #58
  • Their BPI is 61... Nebraska is now #60

Utah

• They are in the Pac 12 which is rated significantly worse than the Big 10 in all metrics but the RPI
  • They have a conference record of 10-7 and overall record of 18-10.
  • They are Ranked below Nebraska in every metric in the ESPN Power Rankings other than RPI (See Marist, Stetson and Delaware State)
  • Their Kenpom is 64... Nebraska is #51
  • Their SOR is 65... Nebraska is now #31
  • Their SOS is 66... Nebraska is now #59
  • Their  RPI is 55... Nebraska is now #58
  • Their BPI is 79... Nebraska is now #60

Texas

• They have a Conference Record of 7-10 and an overall record of 17-13
  • They currently are in 9th place in a 10 team conference
  • The lost to Michigan @ home by 7 points
  • They are in a conference that the RPI/SOS that has been inflated, because of Oklahoma's early season hype
  • Their Kenpom is 43... Nebraska is #51
  • Their SOR is 42... Nebraska is now #31
  • Their SOS is 3... Nebraska is now #59
  • Their  RPI is 52... Nebraska is now #58
  • Their BPI is 42... Nebraska is now #60

Syracuse

• They have a Conference Record of 7-9 and an overall record of 18-11
  • They are currently in 10th place in a 15 team conference
  • Common opponent Kansas... They lost by 16 at home, where we lost by a last second 3
  • They lost to Wake Forest who is 11-18 and 4-13... If you want to talk about Illinois being a bad loss!
  • Their Kenpom is 49... Nebraska is #51
  • Their SOR is 52... Nebraska is now #31
  • Their SOS is 54... Nebraska is now #59
  • Their  RPI is 45... Nebraska is now #58
  • Their BPI is 51... Nebraska is now #60

At some point you are going to have to look at losses, and we have every team we are up against beat in that category.  The biggest hit on Nebraska is RPI, SOS and Quadrant 1 wins... but sometimes you have to look at consistency and who is winning ball games. 

10 minutes ago, big red22 said:

At some point you are going to have to look at losses, and we have every team we are up against beat in that category.  The biggest hit on Nebraska is RPI, SOS and Quadrant 1 wins... but sometimes you have to look at consistency and who is winning ball games. 

I know, right? Why not St. John's in the tourney? They kicked our tail and have wins over Duke, 'Nova, Marquette and mighty St. Joe's. If all that matters are wins, there are few programs with that resume.

(So tired. Must rest.)

24 minutes ago, big red22 said:

I swear after every night these bracketotologists are like... "Who can we keep ahead of Nebraska?"  One bracket kind of stood out to me.  This bracket is why I think this is the common narrative behind all of these predictions.  "The Best Damn Bracket Period" it is like the 5th or 6th one in on the Bracket Matrix.  It has "The first 5 out" and "The Next 5 out" and you guessed it we are in the first 5 out with UCLA, Utah, Texas and Syracuse being ahead of that on this list.  It also has Alabama, Baylor, St. Bonaventure, USC, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas State and Providence in the field.  Although I feel like we should be in over every one of those teams listed above I am going to focus on UCLA, Utah, Texas and Syracuse, because even though they are not in the field they are listed ahead of us.

UCLA 

Utah

Texas

• They are in a conference that the RPI/SOS that has been inflated, because of Oklahoma's early season hype

Syracuse

• Common opponent Kansas... They lost by 16 at home, where we lost by a last second 3
  • They lost to Wake Forest who is 11-18 and 4-13... If you want to talk about Illinois being a bad loss!

• COACHES POLL........Others receiving votes: Houston 51, Arizona State 22, TCU 17, Butler 14, Virginia Tech 12, Florida 10, NC State 10, Nebraska 8, New Mexico State 7, Florida State 7, Loyola-Chicago 7, Miami 6, St. Bonaventure 6, Oklahoma 4, Louisiana 3, Texas A&M 2, Seton Hall 2, Arkansas 2

I don't see UCLA, Utah, Texas, or Syracuse

6 minutes ago, SkersHoops said:
  • COACHES POLL........Others receiving votes: Houston 51, Arizona State 22, TCU 17, Butler 14, Virginia Tech 12, Florida 10, NC State 10, Nebraska 8, New Mexico State 7, Florida State 7, Loyola-Chicago 7, Miami 6, St. Bonaventure 6, Oklahoma 4, Louisiana 3, Texas A&M 2, Seton Hall 2, Arkansas 2

I don't see UCLA, Utah, Texas, or Syracuse

Lol at Oklahoma receiving votes...

I've been thinking all along that at some point we have to get a look when the committee starts trying to pick which teams with sub .500 conference records deserve to get in.  It'd be one thing if we were 11-7 or even 12-6 but when you're trying to figure out which one of these teams deserves to get in I have to think someone in the room is going to step up and say it's crazy to give all these sub .500 league record bids when we tell another team a 22-9 (13-5) record in a major conference isn't good enough.

Even when the Big East was stacked back 6-7 years ago and got 11 teams in they weren't getting sub .500 records in at the rate these bracket guru's want to put in sub .500 teams in this year. It's fairly obvious the SEC and Big 12 are deep conferences with not a lot of separation between their teams, but it's a stretch to call them any better than the others.  Especially at the top.  Nothing near as dominant as the Big East was back then.  It sported 4-5 teams you thought could win the title.  I'm not sure there's a team in the SEC or Big 12 I'd pick to even get to the final 4 this year

Like many have said, if we're just going to use metrics why even have a committee?  Just throw everything in a computer and let it spit out the results (like the old BCS).

Edited by tjp21

The more I look at it, the more OU seems more like the Huskers of 2014.  A team that can look flashy and rough.  They just did it backwards of being really good early and bad late in the season.

Petteway = T Young (The go to, shot taker, volume shooter of the team.  Can very well score 25+ but takes 20+ shots to do it.)

Pitchford= Brady M (The silent but deadly shooter when hot.  However, if they are not on, they aren't much of a factor)

Rest of NU = Rest of OU (Role players  who fill the void well.  Will have a player every now and then do really good things on any given night.)

1 hour ago, jayschool said:

Fran McCaffery over Brad Underwood. That's a tough call, man.

You could look at it from this perspective:  if Iowa wins,  you'll get another chance to pull out the FranCon meter and hope for an epic meltdown!

Underwood has the permanent scowl, but I don't think he's hit the meltdown point yet.

Teams that finished with a Strength or Record in the 30's from 2012-2017

30 – Purdue = 10 Seed

31 – Iowa State = 8 Seed

32 – VCU = 12 Seed

33 – Memphis = 8 Seed

34 – New Mexico = 5 Seed

35 – Harvard = 12 Seed

36 – Virginia = 10 Seed

37 – NC State = 11 Seed

38 – Ohio = 13 Seed

39 – Notre Dame = 7 Seed

30 – Ole Miss = 12 Seed

31 – UCLA = 6 Seed

32 – VCU = 5 Seed

33 – Minnesota = 11 Seed

34 – Colorado State = 8 Seed

35 – Uconn = Not in Tournament due to being academically ineligible

36 – Iowa = Not in due to “Iowa Sucks” and they were 78th in RPI

37 – Temple =  9 Seed

38 – Missourt = 9 Seed

39 – Iowa State = 10 Seed

30 – Oregon = 7 Seed

31 – Oklahoma = 5 Seed

32 – VCU = 5 Seed

33 – George Washington = 9 Seed

34 – Harvard = 12 Seed

35 – Umass = 6 Seed

36 – Stanford = 10 Seed

37 – Minnesota = Not in/Conference record was 8-10 and BPI was 73(Won NIT Tournament)

38 – Tennessee = 11 Seed

39 – Stephen F. Austin = 12 Seed

30 – NC State = 8 Seed

31 – San Diego State = 8 Seed

32 – Dayton = 11 Seed

33 – Utah = 5 Seed

34 – Xavier = 6 Seed

35 – Miami = Not in/Finished Runner up in NIT was 62 in RPI and 20-10 Record

36 – St John’s = 9 Seed

37 – Stephen F. Austin = 12 Seed

38 – Purdue = 9 Seed

39 – Texas = 11 Seed

30 – Syracuse = 10 Seed

31 – Texas = 6 Seed

32 – Wisconsin = 7 Seed

33 – Michigan = 11 Seed

34 – Butler = 9 Seed

35 – Arizona = 6 Seed

36 – Pittsburg = 10 Seed

37 – Dayton = 7 Seed

38 – Georgia Tech = Not in/ 19-14(8-10) 67 RPI

39 – St Mary’s = Not in/26-4 regular season and two wins over the Zags - No Clue why they weren’t in other than being a mid major?  Their BPI = 39, and their RPI = 40

30 – Virginia Tech = 9 Seed

31 – Xavier = 11 Seed

32 – Minnesota = 5 Seed

33 – Miami = 8 Seed

34 – Maryland = 6 Seed

35 – Northwestern = 8 Seed

36 – USC = 11 Seed

37 – Seton Hall = 9 Seed

38 – Kansas State = 11 Seed

39 – Middle Tennessee =  12 Seed

Currently we sit at # 31 with a win over Michigan we will finish in the 20's.  With a loss to Michigan we will remain around the same.

Considering that 56 of the 60 teams over the last six years have made it to the tournament with a SOR ranking in the 30's I like our chances, but again that is just me.  I am not saying it is a guarantee, but the odds seem to be in our favor!

On a side note... With St Mary's not getting in in 2016, it does not look good for them and St. Bonaventure this year!  They were 27-5 with all metric's in the 40 or below,  they still didn't get in?  They swept the Zags during the regular season too!

Edited by big red22

3 hours ago, big red22 said:

UCLA 

Utah

Texas

Syracuse

I totally agree with you but know the committee doesn't look at conference standings so that won't play a factor unfortunately.  Biggest problem for NU right now is the national perception is the Big 10 is weak this year.  I find it amazing how if Michigan would beat Penn State, that would be a labeled a good win but if NU beats them, it gets reported as just a Q3 win and carries no weight.  OSU, MSU, and Purdue all beat the same Big 10 teams we had to and yet, we don't see to get the same credit they did.

17 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

I totally agree with you but know the committee doesn't look at conference standings so that won't play a factor unfortunately.  Biggest problem for NU right now is the national perception is the Big 10 is weak this year.  I find it amazing how if Michigan would beat Penn State, that would be a labeled a good win but if NU beats them, it gets reported as just a Q3 win and carries no weight.  OSU, MSU, and Purdue all beat the same Big 10 teams we had to and yet, we don't see to get the same credit they did.

Dramatically outperforming expectations is Nebraska's biggest crime. Seriously, it's messed up.......

2 minutes ago, TomEadesSucks said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but each member is free to use whatever metric they want when deciding, right? Conference record isn't an official part of the resume, but each member is free to take into consideration if they want. 

Correct.  Bruce R said as much on his multiple interviews.  Basically if a committee member wanted to use the eye test over metrics, then they can.  They will, however, have to convince those that do not as well.  I think anything is game in the committee room including metrics, eye tests, records, conference records, jersey colors, etc. 

Edited by hskr4life

1 hour ago, TomEadesSucks said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but each member is free to use whatever metric they want when deciding, right? Conference record isn't an official part of the resume, but each member is free to take into consideration if they want. 

Same with how a team finishes. They do not use the last 10 metric anymore but I would bet anything how they finish the season is discussed. Bruce said basically they go thru every game for each of the bubble teams. So that would naturally include how they finished the year and how they did in their conference.

The more stats that I see on SOR, the more inclined I am to say that the Huskers deserve to be in.  Not just that, but that they are probably in as a play-in game to boot.  Looking at past years, we fall right into the category of a team that didn't play the metrics game well, but played the game of basketball well and that is reflected in SOR.  

7 hours ago, jimmykc said:

How about our Big 10 games today? I would like to see Rutgers and Iowa win just because I don't care for their opponents' coaches.

100% want Iowa over Illinois. In the event the unthinkable happens and someone upsets Michigan, I'd much rather take down Iowa than Illinois for win #23.

3 hours ago, big red22 said:

Teams that finished with a Strength or Record in the 30's from 2012-2017

30 – Purdue = 10 Seed

31 – Iowa State = 8 Seed

32 – VCU = 12 Seed

33 – Memphis = 8 Seed

34 – New Mexico = 5 Seed

35 – Harvard = 12 Seed

36 – Virginia = 10 Seed

37 – NC State = 11 Seed

38 – Ohio = 13 Seed

39 – Notre Dame = 7 Seed

30 – Ole Miss = 12 Seed

31 – UCLA = 6 Seed

32 – VCU = 5 Seed

33 – Minnesota = 11 Seed

34 – Colorado State = 8 Seed

35 – Uconn = Not in Tournament due to being academically ineligible

36 – Iowa = Not in due to “Iowa Sucks” and they were 78th in RPI

37 – Temple =  9 Seed

38 – Missourt = 9 Seed

39 – Iowa State = 10 Seed

30 – Oregon = 7 Seed

31 – Oklahoma = 5 Seed

32 – VCU = 5 Seed

33 – George Washington = 9 Seed

34 – Harvard = 12 Seed

35 – Umass = 6 Seed

36 – Stanford = 10 Seed

37 – Minnesota = Not in/Conference record was 8-10 and BPI was 73(Won NIT Tournament)

38 – Tennessee = 11 Seed

39 – Stephen F. Austin = 12 Seed

30 – NC State = 8 Seed

31 – San Diego State = 8 Seed

32 – Dayton = 11 Seed

33 – Utah = 5 Seed

34 – Xavier = 6 Seed

35 – Miami = Not in/Finished Runner up in NIT was 62 in RPI and 20-10 Record

36 – St John’s = 9 Seed

37 – Stephen F. Austin = 12 Seed

38 – Purdue = 9 Seed

39 – Texas = 11 Seed

30 – Syracuse = 10 Seed

31 – Texas = 6 Seed

32 – Wisconsin = 7 Seed

33 – Michigan = 11 Seed

34 – Butler = 9 Seed

35 – Arizona = 6 Seed

36 – Pittsburg = 10 Seed

37 – Dayton = 7 Seed

38 – Georgia Tech = Not in/ 19-14(8-10) 67 RPI

39 – St Mary’s = Not in/26-4 regular season and two wins over the Zags - No Clue why they weren’t in other than being a mid major?  Their BPI = 39, and their RPI = 40

30 – Virginia Tech = 9 Seed

31 – Xavier = 11 Seed

32 – Minnesota = 5 Seed

33 – Miami = 8 Seed

34 – Maryland = 6 Seed

35 – Northwestern = 8 Seed

36 – USC = 11 Seed

37 – Seton Hall = 9 Seed

38 – Kansas State = 11 Seed

39 – Middle Tennessee =  12 Seed

Currently we sit at # 31 with a win over Michigan we will finish in the 20's.  With a loss to Michigan we will remain around the same.

Considering that 56 of the 60 teams over the last six years have made it to the tournament with a SOR ranking in the 30's I like our chances, but again that is just me.  I am not saying it is a guarantee, but the odds seem to be in our favor!

On a side note... With St Mary's not getting in in 2016, it does not look good for them and St. Bonaventure this year!  They were 27-5 with all metric's in the 40 or below,  they still didn't get in?  They swept the Zags during the regular season too!

You have to remember too that the SOR you looked at includes postseason, so for example #35 Miami was only 35 because they went on an NIT run, same for Minnesota at 37 in 2014 and Iowa at 36 in 2013. If we beat Michigan, it would be an unprecedented exclusion to leave us out if our SOR is in the upper 20s/low 30s. We can't say for sure what the best SOR is to be left out because the numbers before the NCAA Tourney aren't out there, but it's safe to say the top 35 should be extremely safe and even the top 40 has been almost a lock.