Selection Committee Games of Interest

hhctony

10 minutes ago, hhctony said:

Games for tonight as I'll be out of the loop the rest of the day and tomorrow, so maybe no updates to this until Saturday.

Penn State (108) at Michigan State (24)-- The better PSU, the better our win and loss will be against them.

LSU (81) at Tennessee (14)-- Tenn pretty much a lock.  Want them to win.

Pitt (183) at Miami (FL) (17)-- Pitt ain't making it, but makes the ACC look "Down"

Louisville (20) at Virginia (1) -- probably doesn't matter for us-- What he said... but I like defense so...

Houston (49) at Cincinnati (16)-- Bubble team here that I would like to go down.  Lot of fence sitters in this conference.

Providence (37) at Seton Hall (19)-- Seton Hall is more bubbly than we think, but Providence is 14-7 and a loss would put them at 14-8 and 5-4.

West Virginia (29) at Iowa State (116) -- Strangely, ISU is in some bubbles on bracket matrix.....

Florida State (35) at Wake Forest (127)-- GO DECS!

Syracuse (34) at Georgia Tech (141)-- Knock the Cuse off the bubble.

Maryland (60) at Purdue (8)-- I would rather have Maryland off the bubble and come to Lincoln limping toward the end of the season than with some fire for a road W.

Mississippi State (70) at South Carolina (53)-- Interesting one.  I think we have an edge on MSU right now...

Virginia Tech (74) at Boston College (69)-- Two bubble teams.  We have a W over one of them.

Missouri (46) at Alabama (27)-- Two more bubble teams.  I will take a Mizzou loss and them off the bubble.  Alabama has a good win in OU that will help in the end.

UConn (82) at UCF (68)-- While I don't think UCF is very very bubbly, a win would look better for us.

Butler (32) at Marquette (47)-- This would hopefully be enough to start dropping Marquette out of brackets.  They would be 4-6, 13-9.

Texas (38) at Texas Tech (18)-- GROSS... but GO TECH!

Arizona (13) at Washington State (164) -- this one likely in the doesn't matter range as well

I'll try to whip up something tomorrow!  Bold above means I think we want them to win.

I'll add a few more for us...

• I would like to see George Mason beat St. Bonaventure to knock them down.  Weird that they are still getting some attention in brackets.
  • Need CSU to beat Wyoming as they are on the bubble in some brackets.  Dang MW.
  • LBSU is 12-12 and 6-2 in the Big West.  Would be nice if they keep winning tonight.

Ordered by time, how to watch, the line and who we want IMO.  

Penn State (108) at Michigan State (24)  5:30  BTN  Michigan St -13.5 Want Penn St. since we play them twice and Michigan St. just once

LSU (81) at Tennessee (14) 5:30 SECNetwork  Tennessee -9  I think we want Tennessee to help eliminate LSU.  Correct me if wrong

Pitt (183) at Miami (FL) (17)  6  ESPN full court/watchespn/espn3  Miami -17   Want Pitt in case Miami collapses

Louisville (20) at Virginia (1) -- 6  ESPN2  Virginia -10  Pry don't matter but Virginia better

Houston (49) at Cincinnati (16) 6pm  CBSSportsnetwork  Cincinnati -9 We badly want Cincy here

Providence (37) at Seton Hall (19) 6pm FS1  We want Seton Hall here as Providence closer to bubble

West Virginia (29) at Iowa State (116) -- 6pm  ESPNU  LIkely doesn't matter much I suppose Iowa St slighly better?

Florida State (35) at Wake Forest (127) -- 7pm ESPN full court/ESPN3/watchespn app  Florida St -5 We need Wake Forest here

Syracuse (34) at Georgia Tech (141) 7pm ESPN full court/ESPN3/watchespn app  Pickem We need Georgia Tech here

Maryland (60) at Purdue (8) 7:30 BTN  Purdue -15 We need Purdue

Mississippi State (70) at South Carolina (53) 7:30 S. Carolina -4 1/2  SECNetwork I am not sure which is best but seems like mayb Mississippi St. slightly?

Virginia Tech (74) at Boston College (69) 8 pm ESPN Full Court, ESPN3 Watch espn app  Va Tech -2.5 Need Boston College since we played them

Missouri (46) at Alabama (27) 8pm ESPN2 Alabama -5 1/2  We want Alabama here

UConn (82) at UCF (68) 8 pm CBSsportsnetwork  UCF - 5 1/2  We want UCF since we played them

Butler (32) at Marquette (47) 8 pm FS1  Marquette -2  I think we want butler to knock Marquette closer to us in RPI etc. 

Texas (38) at Texas Tech (18) 8 pm ESPNU   TT -7 1/2  We Want Texas Tech here

Arizona (13) at Washington State (164) -- 9 pm pac10 network  Don't matter barring epic Arizona collapse.  

33 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Maryland (60) at Purdue (8) 7:30 BTN  Purdue -15 We need Purdue

I know this has been discussed on the board a bit, but I'm not convinced we want Maryland losing. If Maryland ended the year on a nice run but we beat them, it'd be a good win for our resume. With our lack of signature wins, I think strengthening our best wins (BC, Minnesota, @NW, Michigan, and in this scenario, Maryland) is really important. Even if it means that Maryland builds a better bubble resume in the process. They're just one team we're competing against for spots, but adding another quality win could boost us over multiple other teams.

And like I've said before, conference standings don't matter. The committee will not say that the Big Ten only deserves five teams, meaning they'd have to omit Nebraska or Maryland. They look at resumes on an individual basis. If Nebraska and Maryland are both deemed to have worthy resumes, they'll both get in.

Edited by Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty

Just now, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

I know this has been discussed on the board a bit, but I'm not convinced we want Maryland losing. If Maryland ended the year on a nice run but we beat them, it'd be a good win for our resume. With our lack of signature wins, I think strengthening our best wins (BC, Minnesota, @NW, Michigan, and in this scenario, Maryland) is really important. Even if it means that Maryland builds a better bubble resume in the process. They're just one team we're competing against for spots, but adding another quality win could boost us over multiple other teams.

I mean it's just as easy for the committee to say "Well Maryland lost a road game at Nebraska but won one at Purdue.  Nebraska couldn't win at Purdue even."

I want bubble teams to lose.  Period.  The more bubble teams to lose, the better Nebraska is going to look.  We just need to keep winning.  Who we beat isn't going to matter if we win and other bubble teams lose.  You're a big tier guy right?  Well Maryland is pretty solidly in tier 2.  Most likely cannot make it to tier 1 and will probably not drop to tier 3.  So no, we want them to lose.

9 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I mean it's just as easy for the committee to say "Well Maryland lost a road game at Nebraska but won one at Purdue.  Nebraska couldn't win at Purdue even."

I want bubble teams to lose.  Period.  The more bubble teams to lose, the better Nebraska is going to look.  We just need to keep winning.  Who we beat isn't going to matter if we win and other bubble teams lose.  You're a big tier guy right?  Well Maryland is pretty solidly in tier 2.  Most likely cannot make it to tier 1 and will probably not drop to tier 3.  So no, we want them to lose.

I am in this camp but do respect the though process of Cookie.  I think he may be slightly overanalyzing this one though. Maryland beating a team like Purdue on the road give the selection folks a hell of a reason to put them in over us if it comes down to us for one of the last spots. Need to eliminate bubble teams IMO.  Obviously, there are scenarios that can play out where it would be better if Maryland wins this game.  But we have to go by what we know now to a large extent when determining who to root for today.  

Edited by royalfan

14 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I haven't necessarily committed to one way or the other. Just bringing it up for discussion. And yeah, I think the tiers are very important. So you're right, it's important for Maryland to stay in Tier 2. Look at their schedule, if they finish 3-5 (very possible) they could easily drop out of Tier 2. So yeah, I definitely agree we want them to lose tonight to Purdue. We don't want to be up against any team with that caliber of a road win. But I'll be rooting for them to go 4-4 or 5-3 down the stretch. That should keep them in T2 but not ahead of us for a tourney bid.

Edited by Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty

Will update as the night progresses.

Penn State (108) at Michigan State (24)-- The better PSU, the better our win and loss will be against them.  This one doesn't hurt.  It just would have been better for us if PSU won.

LSU (81) at Tennessee (14)-- Tenn pretty much a lock.  Want them to win.  I don't think that LSU was going to be bubbly, but they for sure aren't now.

Pitt (183) at Miami (FL) (17)-- Pitt ain't making it, but makes the ACC look "Down" Can't count on Pitt for anything.

Louisville (20) at Virginia (1) -- probably doesn't matter for us-- What he said... but I like defense so... Louisville doesn't look great.  Will be in though.

Houston (49) at Cincinnati (16)-- Bubble team here that I would like to go down.  Lot of fence sitters in this conference. Big win for the Husker bubble.

Providence (37) at Seton Hall (19)-- Seton Hall is more bubbly than we think, but Providence is 14-7 and a loss would put them at 14-8 and 5-4. Hall Crushed Em.

West Virginia (29) at Iowa State (116) -- Strangely, ISU is in some bubbles on bracket matrix..... Maybe there is a reason.  ISU killed WVU tonight.

Florida State (35) at Wake Forest (127)-- GO DECS! Heck Yes!  Heck YES!

Syracuse (34) at Georgia Tech (141)-- Knock the Cuse off the bubble. Yes baby!  Big win gor GA TECH!

Maryland (60) at Purdue (8)-- I would rather have Maryland off the bubble and come to Lincoln limping toward the end of the season than with some fire for a road W.

Mississippi State (70) at South Carolina (53)-- Interesting one.  I think we have an edge on MSU right now...

Virginia Tech (74) at Boston College (69)-- Two bubble teams.  We have a W over one of them.

Missouri (46) at Alabama (27)-- Two more bubble teams.  I will take a Mizzou loss and them off the bubble.  Alabama has a good win in OU that will help in the end.

UConn (82) at UCF (68)-- While I don't think UCF is very very bubbly, a win would look better for us.

Butler (32) at Marquette (47)-- This would hopefully be enough to start dropping Marquette out of brackets.  They would be 4-6, 13-9.

Texas (38) at Texas Tech (18)-- GROSS... but GO TECH!

Arizona (13) at Washington State (164) -- this one likely in the doesn't matter range as well

• I would like to see George Mason beat St.Bonaventure to knock them down.  Weird that they are still getting some attention in brackets. Well... Bonnies Won
  • Need CSU to beat Wyoming as they are on the bubble in some brackets.  Dang MW.
  • LBSU is 12-12 and 6-2 in the Big West.  Would be nice if they keep winning tonight.
Edited by hskr4life

2 minutes ago, royalfan said:

The reason I feel we wanted Penn St is simply because we play them twice so double the impact of their performance on our resume versus Michigan St.  

All is said and done of course, but I'm seeing it from the angle that Penn State has that Tier 1 win that we have zero of. Not sure where that falls in importance in the committee's eyes.

Just now, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Syracuse with a big loss tonight to lowly Ga. Tech.   Boeheim gets everything coming to him, which hopefully is a top seed in the NIT before being put on indefinite probation next year.

Definitely a grind-it-out 55-51 game in Atlanta. Hoping their bubble talk is all said and done for. Georgia Tech is not a good team this year.