Selection Committee Games of Interest

hhctony

13 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

KSU and Bama bout to take our bids

KSU next 4 are KU, @WV, @Tex, Tex Tech.  They’ll have their work cut out.  That’s in addition to @OKST, IAST, Tex, @OU, @TCU.

by the way... TCU might lose the Big 12 a bid if they keep tanking.  Fallen out of top 25 and losing to Vandy by 9.

Alabama is still kind of in a KSU boat.  They have Florida twice, and still have to go to Kentucky, Auburn, Miss St, and A&M.

One thing about the early tournament is that we have a game or two already on most teams... so they have more games left and more tough games to boot.

Edited by hskr4life

On 1/25/2018 at 9:51 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Speaking of St. Bonaventure, they're #48 in the NCAA rpi, and they have a couple of good wins over Maryland and Syracuse, but they lost to Niagara, which is a Tier 4 loss for them, and I have a feeling they'll continue to drop even if they continue to win just because of who they have left to play.

St. Bonaventure beat a 9-win George Washington team by 18 points today ...

And they dropped 3 spots to #51 in the NCAA rpi.

And they only have one more potentially resume enhancing game on their schedule, so they'll continue to drop even if they continue to win.

Our wins will bump us up at least as much as their wins will drop them down and, eventually, we'll pass them.  (Assuming we continue to win.)

16 minutes ago, hhctony said:

Dear Kansas: We need you again.

Notre Dame (78) at Duke (4)-- Come on DUKE!

Nebraska (65) at Wisconsin (135)-- Obvious

Northwestern (100) at Michigan (38)-- Been debating back and forth.  I don't think Michigan will make it into the top 30 and I want the 4 seed.  So...

Kansas (7) at Kansas State (56)-- Svi... we need you to hit like 30 3's.  Please.  

Reordered in time order with lines, how to watch and who to root for(in my opinion at least)

Notre Dame (78) at Duke (4)  6pm Duke -14.5  ESPN  Want Duke

Northwestern (100) at Michigan (38) 6pm FS1 Michigan -7.5 Want Northwestern

Nebraska (65) at Wisconsin (135)  8pm Wisconsin -4 BTN  Want Nebraska

Kansas (7) at Kansas State (56) 8pm Kansas -1.5 ESPN  Want Kansas

9 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Reordered in time order with lines, how to watch and who to root for(in my opinion at least)

Notre Dame (78) at Duke (4)  6pm Duke -14.5  ESPN  Want Duke

Northwestern (100) at Michigan (38) 6pm FS1 Michigan -7.5 Want Northwestern

Nebraska (65) at Wisconsin (135)  8pm Wisconsin -4 BTN  Want Nebraska

Kansas (7) at Kansas State (56) 8pm Kansas -1.5 ESPN  Want Kansas

Hmm...thinking we want Michigan to hold serve at home to get our win against them closer to the Tier 1 threshold by having an RPI better than 30.  The Northwestern win on the road is firmly within Tier 2 (76-135) so a loss to Michigan tonight and they are still firmly a Tier 2 win.

17 minutes ago, royalfan said:

For me it is similar to the Maryland game yesterday.  Michigan is a team we are directly competing for a spot against right now.  I want it to be very hard for them to be selected and us not be.  Also think road wins are huge, and the better NW ends up, the better that road win looks.   

It would be a travesty if the Big Ten got #1, #2, #3, and #5 in the tournament and we're left out hoping to make it to MSG again.

Here's where the total games played lies compared to Nebraska (up to Jan. 28 games):

Last Four Byes

USC: -2 (2 fewer games played than Nebraska)

Marquette: -4

Texas A&M: -4

Houston: -5

Last Four In

Boise State: -3

SMU: -3

NC State: -3

Syracuse: -4

First Four Out

Missouri: -4

Virginia Tech: -4

Western Kentucky: -4

Washington: -4

Next Four Out

Maryland: -2

Notre Dame: -3

South Carolina: -4

Georgia: -5

This is what I worry about. We'll see how the bubble shakes up after this win against Wisconsin, but that said, these bubble teams average 3.6 fewer games played than we have. We're already dealing with some major catch-up.

That said, I have also been told that wins already locked are better than games that haven't been played. We'll see how this bubble shakes up.

5 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Big Ten "Fight for the Four Seed" games of interest (remaining schedule):

Nebraska: @ Minn, vs Rut, vs Mary, @ Ill, vs Ind, vs PSU

Michigan: vs Minn, @ NW, @ Wisc, vs Iowa, vs OSU, @ PSU, @ Mary

Maryland: @ Pur, vs Wisc, @ PSU, vs NW, @ Neb, vs Rut, @ NW, vs Mich

Man, forget the fight for the 4 seed...tell me about the fight for the THREE seed!! :) 

Osu would have to lose a pair of games they shouldnt plus @purdue, @mich.

Unlikely.  Although th ey also play @psu and @indiana.  So it is possible.

Msu has five road games and purdue at home.  They'd have to lose three of those.  Also unlikely.

That and we'd have to win out in either scenario.

So I suppose it is possible... As high as a two seed in theory.  Exceedingly unlikely.  But possible.

Edited by kleitus

8 hours ago, 49r said:

Man, forget the fight for the 4 seed...tell me about the fight for the THREE seed!! :) 

Well, if we win out (14-4) and OSU splits its last eight games (four on the road), they're 13-5, and we're at least the three seed. If MSU loses three more and finishes the same, we can be the two seed.

OSU road games: @ Purdue, @ Penn State, @ Michigan, @ Indiana.

MSU losable games: vs. PSU, @ Indiana, @ Iowa, vs. Purdue, @ Minnesota, @ Northwestern, @ Wisconsin

So I'm saying we have a chance.

Edited by jayschool

7 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

What happened to all those eyeballs on TVs that BTN and the Big Ten kept harping about when we picked up Rutgers and Maryland?

That's 3 games on FS1, 2 on ESPN3, 2 on ESPNU, and the rest on BTN (3 of those on BTN Plus)

With what Brando makes, I think he could spring for the upper cable tier package. :D

Plus with our FS1 record dating back to football season, I'll take BTN broadcasts.

8 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

What happened to all those eyeballs on TVs that BTN and the Big Ten kept harping about when we picked up Rutgers and Maryland?

That's 3 games on FS1, 2 on ESPN3, 2 on ESPNU, and the rest on BTN (3 of those on BTN Plus)

I think he means calling the games

Games of interest for tonight.

Rhode Island (9) at Umass (204)

UNC (11) at Clemson (6)

Indiana (116) at Ohio State (22)

Rutgers (193) at Illinois (165)

Florida (38) at Georgia (62)

TCU (24) at Oklahoma State (93)

Xavier (3) at St. John's (104)

Minnesota (102) at Iowa (152)

Auburn (7) at Ole Miss (84)

Vanderbilt (123) at Kentucky (12)

Arkansas (21) at Texas A&M (36)

Baylor (91) at Oklahoma (10)

Order of game time with line and who we need IMO. 

Rhode Island (9) at Umass (204) 5:30 RI -9 1/2   CBS Sports network Don't see much relevance here but I suppose Umass in case RI has epic collapse and misses dance w/o tourney win

UNC (11) at Clemson (6) 6 pm UNC -2 ESPN  Doesn't seem to matter but will root for UNC as Clemson probably the better chance of epic collapse

Indiana (116) at Ohio State (22)  6pm  ESPN2   I can slightly see arguments both ways.  Outside shot of passing Ohio St.  Seems unlikely enough, I have no problem just having them win to help legitimize league in peoples eyes and help wipe Indiana off the map

Rutgers (193) at Illinois (165)  6pm BTN  Illinois 6 1/2 Don't feel it matters much, but since road wins are important and we have one over Rutgers so maybe them?

Florida (38) at Georgia (62)  6pm SECNetwork  Florida -3 1/2  I think we want Florida(edit after Actuary straightened me out)

TCU (24) at Oklahoma State (93)  6pm ESPNU  TCU-1  We want Oklahoma St here

Xavier (3) at St. John's (104) 7:30 CBS Sports Network  Xavier -4  We want St. Johns to make that loss a bit less painful

Minnesota (102) at Iowa (152)  8pm BTN  Iowa -4 1/2  We want Minny to win here as we play them twice and Iowa only once so better for RPI etc

Auburn (7) at Ole Miss (84) 8pm SEC network Auburn -5 I think Auburn nearly a lock so we want them to help eliminate Ole Miss

Vanderbilt (123) at Kentucky (12) 8pm ESPN Kentucky -9 I think we want Vandy here on off chance Kentucky melts down but this one likely doesn't matter much

Arkansas (21) at Texas A&M (36) 8pm ESPNU  Texas AM -5 Best with Arkansas to keep AM reeling back towards us

Baylor (91) at Oklahoma (10) 8 pm ESPN2  Oklahoma -5 1/2 We want OU here to help eliminate Baylor from the equation.

Edited by royalfan