Purdue vs Nebraska pregame chatter...

whoopdeedoo

appears this should be another defensive battle. i noticed a video of husker postgame celebration after the rutgers game. pretty sure it shows janay morton walk out with the group to celebrate. so, hopefully that injury she sustained isn't too bad. maybe she won't be ready for purdue game, but, hopefully won't be out long. if i remember correctly, ncaa stats showed nebraska and purdue #20 and #21 in blocked shots. 

purdue is 2nd in the Big Ten scoring defense allowing 59.9ppg while nebraska is 7th allowing 63.9ppg. besides rutgers, not to mention the huskers, i would have to say purdue is another team that has surprised me. i thought it would be very possible Versyp could be on the hot seat this season, but, she has purdue playing well this season.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

31 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

But is what she is doing enough to not be on the seat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

if they keep playing well, i could see them finishing around .500---they have a few tough games upcoming (including wednesday?) but i think if they can stay competitive in a good share of them, i think she will survive for another season. i think they had that real good scorer that had to concentrate on her grades---could be big boost if she returns next season. not sure what they have for recruits. anyway, i am a little surprised purdue is that high in the blocked shots category. they play fairly small and their 6'6" gal only averages 8.5 mpg. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

1 hour ago, whoopdeedoo said:

if they keep playing well, i could see them finishing around .500---they have a few tough games upcoming (including wednesday?) but i think if they can stay competitive in a good share of them, i think she will survive for another season. i think they had that real good scorer that had to concentrate on her grades---could be big boost if she returns next season. not sure what they have for recruits. anyway, i am a little surprised purdue is that high in the blocked shots category. they play fairly small and their 6'6" gal only averages 8.5 mpg. 

I haven't seen Purdue play much, seems to me that they don't have the guardss that can score.I was thinking that they had a big that was fairly good.

WBB Looks to Win Fourth StraightThe Boilermakers head west to take on Nebraska

13073586.jpeg

Jan. 23, 2018

Game Notes / Media Center / Live Stats / @PurdueWBB / Live Video / Live Audio

GAMEDAY INFORMATION
Purdue (13-7/4-2 B1G) at Nebraska (14-6/5-2 B1G)
Wednesday, Jan. 24, 2018 / 8 p.m. ET / BTN+
Pinnacle Bank Arena (15,000) / Lincoln, Nebraska

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Purdue women’s basketball aims to keep its win streak alive Wednesday, heading to Nebraska for an 8 p.m. ET showdown at Pinnacle Bank Arena. The Boilermakers and Huskers near the midway point of the conference season just one-game behind the Big Ten leaders, both looking to solidify themselves as contenders for the 2018 conference title.

LAST TIME OUT
• Purdue earned its third straight win and its sixth consecutive victory in Mackey Arena with a 63-60 decision over Northwestern last Thursday
• The Boilermakers got out to a 20-11 lead after the first quarter and never trailed, marking their third wire-to-wire win of the season
• Purdue hit on 44.9 percent from the field, including 61.9 percent in the second half and 70 percent in the fourth quarter
• The Boilermakers committed just 10 fouls for the game, while getting to the free throw line 17 times themselves
• Sophomore Dominique Oden scored a career-high 26 points, tying a Boilermaker single-game record by going 5-of-5 from 3-point range
• Classmate Ae’Rianna Harris was just shy of a double-double with 14 points, nine rebounds and four blocked shots
• Senior Andreona Keys dished out a season-high seven assists as the Boilermakers helped on 17 of their 22 field goals for the game (.773)

spacer.gif

HEAD COACH Sharon Versyp
• Versyp is in her 18th season as a head coach and 12th on the Boilermaker sidelines, making her the longest tenured head coach in program history
• Her 250 wins at Purdue are the most in school history, and she is five conference wins shy of matching Lin Dunn for the most Big Ten victories at Purdue
• Purdue has advanced to the NCAA Tournament in 9-of-11 seasons under Versyp, including each of the last two seasons, making the Boilermakers 1-of-23 programs in the country to accomplish the feat during the time frame
• Every matchup between the Boilermakers and Huskers have happened during Versyp’s tenure as Purdue head coach, sitting 7-3 in the all-time series and 3-1 in Lincoln

#BOILERNOTES
• The Boilermakers are receiving votes in the AP Poll for the second straight week and earned votes in the USA Today/Coaches’ Poll last week as well
• Purdue has held two Big Ten opponents under the 40-point mark this season, and leads conference play in scoring defense at 54.7 points per game
• The Boilermakers are now second in the conference in scoring defense on the season, holding teams to 59.9 points per game
• Purdue is second in the Big Ten and No. 21 in the NCAA at the free throw line, hitting 76.3 percent on the year, and leads conference play with an 81.1 percent conversion rate at the stripe
• Keys is seven assists shy of becoming the 16th player in program history with 300 career assists
• Oden is the fourth player in program history to go 5-of-5 from 3-point range in a game, joining Carol Madsen (1990), Jodi Howell (2009) and Ashley Morrissette (2017)
• Junior Nora Kiesler has given the Boilermakers a huge lift off the bench in the last two games, averaging 6.5 points and 3.5 rebounds
• Harris continues her assault on the Purdue blocked shots record books, taking over the sophomore season record with her 64th rejection last time out
• Harris now owns the No. 3 single-season mark (75, 2017), the No. 6 single-season mark (64, 2018) and already ranks seventh all-time at Purdue (139)

OPPONENT NOTES
• Nebraska welcomes the Boilermakers to Lincoln at 14-6 overall and 5-2 in conference play, winning their last two games over Iowa and Rutgers
• Nebraska has had an incredible turnaround from 2016-17, already doubling their win total from last season
• The Huskers have been incredible on the road this season, posting a perfect 7-0 mark, while sitting 6-5 on their home floor
• Nebraska ranks 22nd in the NCAA in assists per game, led by sophomore Hannah Whitish who’s third in the Big Ten at 5.3 helpers per contest
• Freshman Kate Cain leads the conference and ranks fifth in the NCAA with 3.55 blocks per game
• Purdue leads the all-time series against Nebraska 7-3, including the last two meetings
• The Boilermakers are 3-1 in Lincoln, including a 68-50 win at Pinnacle Bank Arena in 2016, where Andreona Keys stuffed the stat sheet with eight points, 10 rebounds, six assists, four steals and two blocks
• The Purdue vs. Nebraska series has seen its share of extra basketball with the first three meetings going to overtime, including a triple OT game at Mackey Arena and a double overtime affair in the 2012 Big Ten Tournament Championship game
• Last year the Boilermakers posted an 88-45 victory over Nebraska at Mackey Arena, Purdue’s largest over a conference opponent in a decade
 Ashley Morrissette led the rout with 21 points, eight assists and six steals, while Ae’Rianna Harris and Oden added 19 and 16 points, respectively

1 hour ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Are you going to call in?

might try if i am able. other commitment close to that time, so might miss tonight. 

in relation to the big you might be talking about. i thought they had a 6'4" nigerian that they were hoping would turn out to be pretty good. i think she redshirted and would have been a sophomore? seems like they were pretty high on her, but, i don't think she is on the roster anymore. 

purdue does have three guards that shoot the three pretty well. can't remember the exact %'s but think 2 were around 40+% and the other one was 39.9%? looking at too many stats earlier today;)

i was wrong on 3pt'ers.

keys:  12-38  .316

oden:  38-92  .41

mclaughlin 36-104  .346

cooper  7-19  .368

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Thanks for starting this thread, Bugeaters!   It's obvious that Purdue is a dangerous opponent and the Husker Ladies will have to be on our game in order to win.

EDIT:  OOPS, I mean Whoop!  :Redface:

I take it all back, Bugeaters; You're a (movie reference) dirty rotten scoundrel  :Stickouttongue:  (for Not starting this thread  :Lol:)

Jus kidding, of course.  Thanks for all you do in this forum.

Edited by Red Don

One of the players to really watch is  Ae'rianna Harris.  She is kind of like Wittenger from Illinois.  

She is very active and is an excellent rebounder and has 2/3's of Purdues blocked shots.  Purdue is well coached (2nd in last years big ten tourney).  Purdue has kind of had our number the last couple of years.  A Big win if we can get it.

Purdue's on a bit of a roll. They've won three straight over Rutgers, Iowa, and Northwestern.  So they've pretty well figured out what they need to do to be successful.  They're a bit like us overall. As said above, they play pretty good defense.  They have a few decent shooters...kind of spread around the ball to score....so complete blanket of defense is required.

Coach Amy has been focusing on defending certain players, and for the most part it's been successful.  Purdue shots free throws well, so we had better too or it could be the difference..

This is one we really need to win.  We've played really good over the last few games.....just hope we're not reading our own press clippings too  much. We must focus.

If we haven't matured enough as a team so that we can "bring it" tonight .....it could well be along night.  

Next to no turnovers...shoot 50% for the game, and 60%+ free throws. 3's...maybe 30% ....or better hopefully.

We're at home.....that's the deciding factor.....don't sit on your hands fans...we need noise !!

Edited by redsteve

2 hours ago, huskerchode said:

With our record this year, we might be better off if this were a road game.

for some reason, maybe they feel a little more pressure at PBA. hopefully, they settle in and get a little more comfortable. don't want to lose this one at home. i know coach has stressed she wants and needs to protect home court.

have msu @ mich on. Michigan is coming out hot. 23-7 little over 2 minutes left in first quarter. in pregame, stated mccutcheon undergoing concussion protocol. rooting for msu. i thought jenna allen was going to be a beast for msu, but, the few games i have seen msu play this year, she really hasn't been much of a factor.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

This is a big time game for us for positioning in the Big Ten Tournament.  A win would put us ahead of Purdue if we end the season with the same Conference record. Simply can afford to lose against a team we only play once. It will be extremely difficult for us to beat Maryland which could result in two more conference loses for us.  If will can end the season in the top four in the conference, that would be a truly assuming feat and coach Williams should win coach of the year. Getting a little bit ahead of myself but I like to dream a little. GBR.

23 minutes ago, Tinpanalley said:

This is a big time game for us for positioning in the Big Ten Tournament.  A win would put us ahead of Purdue if we end the season with the same Conference record. Simply can afford to lose against a team we only play once. It will be extremely difficult for us to beat Maryland which could result in two more conference loses for us.  If will can end the season in the top four in the conference, that would be a truly assuming feat and coach Williams should win coach of the year. Getting a little bit ahead of myself but I like to dream a little. GBR.

agree-----and i will add another reason: the iowa game will be a real difficult one for the "road warriors"  for a variety of reasons. so, i just think they don't want to let this one get away. 

2 hours ago, Tinpanalley said:

Plus finishing in the top 4 gives you a double bye in the tourment.

Good first half...our defense is a little better than Purdue.  If we hit shots we'll win. We're getting open some...attacking the inside off the dribble, and passing inside.

Don't know what the stats are but we missed some shots.  Turnovers OK as were free throws.  Grace made a couple of nice plays.

Keep at it girls.....keep up the defense. Pick your shot carefully...they can block shots.  Hit some threes and this game might be over. 

Purdue couldn't break our defense much at all.    Push the pace and wear them out.

Edited by redsteve