uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 22 - @ Ohio St.

uneblinstu

9 minutes ago, taterdanger said:

Does anyone else get the feeling Cary is auditioning for the Nebraska job?

He's been awfully vocal about this season. Maybe he's always like that, and I've never noticed it.

I disagree with Cary that it's good we don't get Purdue, MSU and OSU again. We WANT to play those teams in Lincoln, not ONLY on the road. I watched two bubble teams (Va. Tech and TCU) beat top 10 teams last night, but at home, while we lost a tight one on the road.

Tough to win on the road when year after year you are a poor shooting team.   I wasn't sweating Glynn's play a few weeks ago but it may be time to panic with how poor he has shot the ball.  I'm not sure we can get where we want to be without him.  We didn't play our best game, neither did OSU but still a gut punch knowing that we let another one slip away.  But, win Wednesday and we are still in solid shape.  People keep saying we need to go 12-6 in the Big 10 to have a chance but I will take 11-7 and a good showing in New York and I think that may give us a chance at an at large.  It all starts Wednesday though, have to win @Rutgers.  Win that game and I feel pretty good about us getting to 11 wins.

3 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Tough to win on the road when year after year you are a poor shooting team.   I wasn't sweating Glynn's play a few weeks ago but it may be time to panic with how poor he has shot the ball.  I'm not sure we can get where we want to be without him.  We didn't play our best game, neither did OSU but still a gut punch knowing that we let another one slip away.  But, win Wednesday and we are still in solid shape.  People keep saying we need to go 12-6 in the Big 10 to have a chance but I will take 11-7 and a good showing in New York and I think that may give us a chance at an at large.  It all starts Wednesday though, have to win @Rutgers.  Win that game and I feel pretty good about us getting to 11 wins.

I think Glynn is having trouble adjusting to not having the ball in his hands so often. With Roby up-and-coming and Palmer emerging as a go-to-guy, he's having to move without the ball more and take spot up looks. It was to be difficult to learn to play a completely different way. 

That being said, he needs to figure it out. That's what upperclassmen do.

What's all this lyin around shit?

We just went toe-to-toe with the #13 team in the country, on the road, and had them up against the wall with 3 minutes to play.

Our NCAA hopes aren't over.  Nothing's over until we decide it is!

Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor?  Hell no!  And it ain't over now!

Now who's with me?  

5 minutes ago, taterdanger said:

I think Glynn is having trouble adjusting to not having the ball in his hands so often. With Roby up-and-coming and Palmer emerging as a go-to-guy, he's having to move without the ball more and take spot up looks. It was to be difficult to learn to play a completely different way. 

That being said, he needs to figure it out. That's what upperclassmen do.

It's not much different from last year when Tai had it in his hands most of the time, is it?

Roby shot twice last night.  He's not hogging the ball by any means.

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

We just went toe-to-toe with the #13 team in the country, on the road, and had them up against the wall with 3 minutes to play.

Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor?  Hell no!  And it ain't over now!

Now who's with me?  

Animal+House.jpg

36 minutes ago, 49r said:

To me it's hilarious to read some of the comments in here.  We just lost by 5 points on the road at the 13th ranked team in the country who is probably playing as well as anyone (currently on an 8 game winning streak and is 9-0 in the B1G) and you'd think we just got Incarnate Worded.

Is this Rock Bottom?

Because if it is sign me up.  Jeez, I try to not be a sunshine pumper but some of us need to take a time out and realize that we've got a pretty good team on our hands here...

I haven't made any of those doomsday comments, but I think the mindset is just a result of the continued frustration of Nebrasketball.  They never seem to be able to get over the proverbial hump.

That game was there for the taking.  Just too many STUPID mistakes (ridiculous turnovers, dumb dumb dumb fouls, stepping on the out-of-bounds line multiple times, defensive breakdowns letting Bates-Diop and 'Wreckingball' Tate get uncontested or nearly uncontested layups, allowing young Mr. Dakich to make too many plays, etc.).

Edited by NUtball

5 minutes ago, atskooc said:

It's not much different from last year when Tai had it in his hands most of the time, is it?

Roby shot twice last night.  He's not hogging the ball by any means.

You're probably right. I just can't explain his struggles any other way. It always seemed like he and Tai would take turns last year running PnR, now he just fades out of games.

29 minutes ago, taterdanger said:

Does anyone else get the feeling Cary is auditioning for the Nebraska job?

He's been awfully vocal about this season. Maybe he's always like that, and I've never noticed it.

That's kind of funny. He was a grad assistant at Wyoming and was a DOBO at James Madison but I think that's as far as he got in the college coaching ranks.  He's a basketball junkie in large part to his father being a long time coach. Not sure what he does for a day job but I suspect that he's probably coaching some kids at some level. I think I've followed him on twitter for a while and I'd chalk up his increased tweets to a combination of being more comfortable with that form of communication and 93.7 bringing him on to talk hoops.

7 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

That's kind of funny. He was a grad assistant at Wyoming and was a DOBO at James Madison but I think that's as far as he got in the college coaching ranks.  He's a basketball junkie in large part to his father being a long time coach. Not sure what he does for a day job but I suspect that he's probably coaching some kids at some level. I think I've followed him on twitter for a while and I'd chalk up his increased tweets to a combination of being more comfortable with that form of communication and 93.7 bringing him on to talk hoops.

This is good to know. I didn't know what he ended up doing after James Madison, so his sudden emergence was a little weird to me. He gives a good interview though.

31 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Appears to me that Glynn's shooting woes are in his head, and I think it's affecting his mechanics. The "good" shooting Glynn got his feet set and was on balance. The "struggling" Glynn seems to be very off-balance and falling back or twisting to the side. Haven't seen him be aggressive with his 12-15 foot pull-ups, which is where he was so dangerous. Perhaps Tim needs to do something to try to get him going early in games. If he sees the ball go through the hoop a few times, that may go a long way to cure his ills.   

56 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Now who's with me?  

Exactly, just win out (or most of them) get one in tournament and I think we can still dance.  Well I can't dance unless there is a lot of alcohol but this team can.  

1 hour ago, NUtball said:

I haven't made any of those doomsday comments, but I think the mindset is just a result of the continued frustration of Nebrasketball.  They never seem to be able to get over the proverbial hump.

This isn't necessarily addressed directly at you @NUtball, but your comment is a good example of the kind of mind set I'm talking about.  It's something we as a collective fan base need to get over, and quickly...we may be looking at a pretty enjoyable next 6 weeks if the last 6 are any indication of how things can go.

Here's a pretty good "come down off the ledge for a minute" twitter rant:

12 hours ago, PimpMario said:

Nothing Miles has tried this year has worked.  Maybe not starting him should be tried at this point.  

Please correct me if I'm remembering this incorrectly, but weren't you adamant about retaining Miles at the end of last year?  I remember someone blasting me for daring to suggest that Miles is a poor roster manager, and I could've sworn that was you.  I just find it interesting that you're starting to make comments very similar to ones I made previously that you downvoted me for.  

38 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

You know, regarding Glynn I have seen this exact same situation on "Fringe". There was a good Walter and a bad Walter. I think we need to be looking around for dimensional worm holes if this keeps up.

Excellent TV show, and fantastic Walter reference!

This is exactly what I had down:

I just was more specific and had us winning at home against Md and IU and losing on the road at Wisc and Minn.

But I also have us beating Rutx2, Iowa, Ill on the road, and home vs. PSU to end the regular season.  That's 5 straight wins to end the season and 12 conference wins overall.

As long as we drop Rutgers like a 2 foot putt, we're still on schedule.  Beat Rutgers on the road and Iowa at home, and the next two games are pressure-free road games where wins help but losses don't hurt.  And picking up one of those road games against either Wisc or Minn gets us ahead of the curve.

23 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Please correct me if I'm remembering this incorrectly, but weren't you adamant about retaining Miles at the end of last year?  I remember someone blasting me for daring to suggest that Miles is a poor roster manager, and I could've sworn that was you.  I just find it interesting that you're starting to make comments very similar to ones I made previously that you downvoted me for.  

I didn't check into it but I'm guessing you're wrong.  Pimp, from my memory, has sort of always been at best lukewarm about Miles.  I can't imagine Pimp blasting someone for being critical of Miles.  But, maybe I'm misremembering.

No I wasn't miles fan pretty quickly after he was hired. And was ecstatic when we made our run. But after that he hasn't seem like he's had any forward momentum in terms of recruiting or play style or adapting to the Big 10. It seems like with him it's always one step forward with a good recruit and then two steps back with a crew with the player leaving and losses mounting. I definitely worry as a program we have to lower standards and that miles will get a few more years just because moose hasn't had the chance to properly evaluate him because basketball is in a high enough priority.

To answer your question directly I wanted my miles gone after the last year. I was pretty dishearten the whole offseason because we had retained him.