uneblinstu's postgame chatter: Vol: 10; ed: 22 - @ Ohio St.

uneblinstu

2 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

If you're playing Roby at the 5 he has got to be a threat on the offensive end.  With a center on him he should be able to take him off the dribble, get some open looks outside, even initiate the offense.  I don't think posting him up or using him to set ball screens is particularly effective.

I think his offense is coming a long.  He just make the switch to starting 5.  

1 minute ago, colhusker said:

Bottom line is when one guy shows up it will not end well.  Until we can get guys who can make FTs, box out, get better at stopping the ball, and get more consistent shooting we will not win games like this.  Scary thing is we were in the game.

The last 4:36 of the game was craptastic for Nebraska. And somehow it was still a "game" with all of that. Huskers need to tighten up things on offense before Wednesday.

1 hour ago, TimSmiles said:

the positive is that we have a very easy finish to our schedule. but yea nit is looking a lot more likely than ncaa tourney right now.

Well we were in the game on the road and could easily have won that game.  Had we had more than one guy putting the ball in the basket.  Hopefully we can win out or almost win out and get a couple wins in the tournament and go dancing.

1 minute ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

If you're playing Roby at the 5 he has got to be a threat on the offensive end.  With a center on him he should be able to take him off the dribble, get some open looks outside, even initiate the offense.  I don't think posting him up or using him to set ball screens is particularly effective.

Agree 100%. There were several times when Roby had the ball at the top of the key or on the wing and Wesson or the other big looking like they wanted no part of him, and he didn't even look at attacking the rim. I think we should really run some clear outs for him with a matchup like that one

Good game.  Good effort.  We had a lot of good looks and rattled a ton of shots out.  Meh.  We're a good team, and we looked like it tonight.  We played with great intensity.  Ohio State is a very, very tough team on both ends of the court, and they're barely better than we are.  

Hard loss because again it was in our grasp but far from a season ender. I actually think it’s better we don’t play any of the big dogs the rest of the season, should hopefully rack up the conference wins, get a bye or two. Then take a run at the big dogs in the conference tourney on essentially a neutral court.

Something  needs to be done with Watson, scale back his minutes or something as he is really slumping. Find it ustanding we can’t get more then 8 or so minutes for Allen and practically none in the second half again. Do you guys think Watson is potentially playing hurt? As I thought his defense was really lacking tonight as well

The three pointers you gotta take in this offense, probably ten of the misses were essentially wide open n just didn’t hit, frustrating to see that some of the high post touches we were getting last game essentially dried up in this one.

copeland is be coming a very frustrating player for me to watch, he has no post game n it’s obvious he has a very good game in the high post but rarely gets touches there, puzzling to me that the coaches don’t identify that n incorporate it into the offense 10+ times a game.

jordy has really played tougher n with more of a presence since he came back but at some point he’s gotta learn to move his feet or just learn to lay off when he’s beat. As for roby we gotta remember he’s super raw n this is what his 5th start if that?

woulda been a great win but everything is still in front of us, gotta get it rolling again on Wednesday tho

1)Not going to win many games when only one player scores in double digits.    Glen has got to get it back if we are going to make a run at it.    I remember the multiple games of last year when he was on fire.   What has changed?   No Webster ???

2) They had so many short layups in the paint.   We couldn’t stop them there.   Their guys got to the hoop tonight.

We still can get to the dance.   Just need to win down the stretch a whole bunch  and make a lot of noise at the big 10 tourney.  

I believe Roby took two shots in the game. That has a lot to do with the loss. Watson is truely having a disappointing season in my opinion. Palmer was unbelievable. Taylor played very well on D. Bottom line is that we cannot hit wide open jump shots for the most part but having said that this team has no “quit” in them.

1 hour ago, PimpMario said:

It does when you have no real opportunities for Tier 1 wins remaining (barring a Minnesota or Maryland run).

Our resume can only really get worse here on out unless we somehow go on a winning streak (figuring out how to win on the road).

This is key in determining the success/failure of this season. If we have a lot of bad losses to mediocre/bad teams (even on the road), I won't feel too great about it. But if we can make the best of the situation and string together a nice streak, like 6 or 8, that'd really get me Jazzed. Although I'm fine with NIT, because it indicates you were close, what I want more than anything is to get some attention and win some big ones. I feel even with this loss that we have had a great season to this point and haven't fallen short at every opportunity; we simply fell in some heartbreaking nailbiters. That's enough to crush the spirit though, unfortunately :( **feelsbadman**

GBR!

From what I have seen this year it would be quite possible to win out or at least end with only one more loss. If that happens, one of the "play in" games should be within the realm of possibility. Not many impressive mid-majors this year to take spots. Certainly we will be a team no one wants to play in the Big 10 tourney. Much too early to get pessimistic yet.

8 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

From what I have seen this year it would be quite possible to win out or at least end with only one more loss. If that happens, one of the "play in" games should be within the realm of possibility. Not many impressive mid-majors this year to take spots. Certainly we will be a team no one wants to play in the Big 10 tourney. Much too early to get pessimistic yet.

This is Husker basketball.   It's NEVER too early to get pessimistic....:D

This is disappointing.  

But heck, its always how a team finishes the season.  There are nine games left (with some luck we could win them all), plus the B1G Tournament

After all, we took the #13 team (who's undefeated in the B1G) to the wire last night, on the road.  And it took some really bad luck at the end for the Buckeyes to pull it out.

Every time I see a replay of Isaiah Roby with that clear path to the bucket from the corner--and then the defender gets that pure-luck steal from behind . . . the win just wasn't meant to be.   

Onward and upward!