Nebraska (14-7) vs. Ohio St. (17-4) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

Some thoughts (yes, many will be "negative")

- Glynn Watson has to work on his leadership. If he's not scoring he needs to keep his head up and lead and do what he can. Too often he seems a bit "sulky" and withdrawn and that really matters when you're an upperclassman and point guard.
- Lack of inside presence hurts. OSU had better looks than we did in general. Or at least more looks down low.
- We battled on defense and played hard, so that is really encouraging. But you need to close when you have this kind of a chance on the road.
- I really have concerns about our staff's ability to coach offense (and have for a long time). I know Palmer was hot, but too often do we just give him the ball and get out of the way. This goes on whether he is hot or not. It was the same with Tai before him. It was the same with Petteway before that. What I'm saying is, this team deserves to have better offensive coaching imho.
- We REALLY rode the same guys for A LOT of minutes tonight. I get it, they give us the best shot to win but they were pretty gassed at times it seems.
- The little things make a difference on the road and we just didn't quite have the confidence to keep the fight down the stretch. It's tough on the road.
- This is not a GREAT OSU team. Beatable. I am encouraged by our fight this year. I hope we keep fighting, but I always fear a big letdown given our history under Miles.

3 minutes ago, jayschool said:

You know, if I weren't 56 years old and hadn't lived through so much Nebrasketball agony, I'd take this as philosophically as Sean. But I am and I have. So phuck.

Also because we started 13th in everybody's brains, but ours, it takes time to get people on the coasts to see we are better and more deserving.

We also aren't a blue blood that gets some looks even though we shouldn't like Maryland or Indiana.

5 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Some thoughts (yes, many will be "negative")

- Glynn Watson has to work on his leadership. If he's not scoring he needs to keep his head up and lead and do what he can. Too often he seems a bit "sulky" and withdrawn and that really matters when you're an upperclassman and point guard.
- Lack of inside presence hurts. OSU had better looks than we did in general. Or at least more looks down low.
- We battled on defense and played hard, so that is really encouraging. But you need to close when you have this kind of a chance on the road.
- I really have concerns about our staff's ability to coach offense (and have for a long time). I know Palmer was hot, but too often do we just give him the ball and get out of the way. This goes on whether he is hot or not. It was the same with Tai before him. It was the same with Petteway before that. What I'm saying is, this team deserves to have better offensive coaching imho.
- We REALLY rode the same guys for A LOT of minutes tonight. I get it, they give us the best shot to win but they were pretty gassed at times it seems.
- The little things make a difference on the road and we just didn't quite have the confidence to keep the fight down the stretch. It's tough on the road.
- This is not a GREAT OSU team. Beatable. I am encouraged by our fight this year. I hope we keep fighting, but I always fear a big letdown given our history under Miles.

Except for tonight we have been getting a more balanced scoring and I feel a better offense than we have before.  Tonight, not so much.

11 minutes ago, cozrulz said:

Cheap excuse.

Exactly. What about the year after the tourney when we drastically "underperformed." I have given up on Miles personally. Call me a hater if you want, but if we renew his contract we are stuck with him for a while. I think with the talent we have coming back it might be a great year to get a new coach in. I"m tired of hearing "can we get anyone better than Tim Miles?" I have been a fan for a LONG time and this in the worst 3-4 year stretch record-wise in over 50 years. That says something. It shouldn't take 6 years to build a program. Yes, we are improved but I don't trust this staff to coach the talent. Not enough offensive structure. Lots of season left and I hope to be proven wrong I guess.

Edited by Husker4theSpurs

1 minute ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Indiana still has two games remaining with Michigan State, two with Ohio State, and one with Purdue.  We don't see any of those teams again.  They also have 6 road games remaining, we have 4.

Thank goodness. I kind of have the same feeling for Indiana basketball as I do for Penn State football. They were able to celebrate championships while one of the worst human beings ever to walk the court coached for them. And then they hired Kelvin Sampson. And Tom Crean. Good lord.

2 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

We are picked second to last every. single. year.

What hurts is whenever we get some traction, we tend to end up with some roster management issues that sets us back. Sure would be nice to be able to build off of previous seasons and continue to show progress in the win column.

28 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

What hurts is whenever we get some traction, we tend to end up with some roster management issues that sets us back. Sure would be nice to be able to build off of previous seasons and continue to show progress in the win column.

That's my fear about not getting in and winning this year. Oh, we make a run in the NIT, and everybody feels good that next year is THE year. And someone goes Euro pro. And someone else tires of basketball. And someone else thinks he's being used wrong so transfers somewhere closer to home. And. And. And we're back to square one.

Just now, jayschool said:

That's my fear about not getting in and winning this year. Oh, we make a run in the NIT, and everybody feels good that next year is THE year. And someone goes Euro pro. And someone else tires of basketball. And someone else thinks he's being used wrong so transfers somewhere closer to home. And. And. And we're back to square one.

We appear to have a two year window of opportunity right now, and that's if there's no core defections (Palmer, Copeland, Watson, Roby, Allen, and, probably, Jordy).  We still have some holes in the roster to fill before next year as it is.

If you're thinking that 2020 is the year,  then Roby had better turn into a lottery pick, Jordy better stay and turn into a 10/7 guy, Allen better play like a guy that could be playing at Kansas, and there'd better be some contributors amongst Nana/Thor/Xavier.  And they'd better hit gold on recruiting this year and next year.