Nebraska on the Selection Committee Board

hhctony

1 hour ago, jason2486 said:

Should've stayed in the Big 12...

In terms of basketball alone, I agree.  I miss driving down to KC for the Big XII Tourney and hanging out in the Power & Light District.  Plus lots of close road games.  Now we've just got Iowa for close road games and the Conference Tourney is in one of the last places on earth I'd ever want to visit.

I think we are closer than some think.  While I don’t think we are near “lock” status, I think our resume stacks up with other bubble teams.  Actually, I think our resume sticks out for all the odd ball reasons.  We’re like the Tacko Fall of the bubble teams.  Not a great great player, but we got some intangibles and we stick out from all the other bubble teams for our own reasons.

Updated alphabetical cheat sheet

I'll edit this post during the day as these final results come through - hopefully this makes it easier to follow along as the 68 teams are unveiled alphabetically.

If you're looking for an early sign about NU's hopes as they unveil the teams alphabetically, I'd say keep a close eye on the following four teams, which will appear in the first 1/4 of teams unveiled:

• Alabama - First out of the gate - One of the 5 shakiest "lock" teams - I think they're in, but if they're left out, great sign for NU
  • Arizona State - First bubble team - I think they're out, but it's 50/50
  • Baylor - Second bubble team, and a bit of a long shot - if they're in, a bad bad bad bad sign for NU
  • Florida State - One of the 5 shakiest "lock" teams, so if they're left out, a great sign for NU

If all 4 of these teams are in, my feeling of 30% NU in drops to 5% NU in. If they're all in, the committee isn't buying what NU's resume is selling.

If just 1 of these 4 teams are in, I'm going to feel a lot more positive. It means the committee is not relying on the Quads as much as the bracketologist nerds thought.

If it's 2 or 3 of these 4 in, I don't think our chances change much, but obviously 2 in would be far better than 3 in.

I'd say the other (now) three shaky "lock" teams would be Nevada, Rhode Island, and USC, but they'll be announced after we are, so no help there.

KEY: 

Green and Bold = Automatic Bid (with games to be played today, favorite is listed first)

Blue and Italic = Likely At-Large (31 teams)

Red and Underlined = Bubble teams (5 spots available)

Alabama

Arizona

Arizona State

Arkansas

Auburn

Baylor

Bucknell

Buffalo

Butler

Cal State Fullerton

Charleston

Cincinnati

Clemson

Creighton

Davidson

Duke

Florida

Florida State

Georgia State

Gonzaga

Houston

Iona

Kansas

Kansas State

Kentucky

Lipscomb

LIU Brooklyn

Louisville

Loyola-Chicago

Marquette

Marshall

Maryland-Baltimore County

Miami

Michigan

Michigan State

Middle Tennessee

Missouri

Montana

Murray State

Nebraska

Nevada

New Mexico State

North Carolina

North Carolina Central

North Carolina State

North Carolina-Greensboro

Notre Dame

Ohio State

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Oregon

Penn

Providence

Purdue

Radford

Rhode Island

San Diego State

Seton Hall

South Dakota State

Southern California

St. Bonaventure

St. Mary’s

Stephen F Austin

Syracuse

Tennessee

Texas

Texas A&M

Texas Christian

Texas Southern

Texas Tech

UCLA

(USC listed above as Southern Cal)

Utah

Villanova

Virginia

Virginia Tech

West Virginia

Wichita State

Wright State

Xavier

Edited by throwback

Here's what is annoying me this year.  The bubble teams all have something Nebraska doesn't.  Q1 wins.  I just looked at Rhode Island, for instance.  They say they are solidly in.  

Road/neutral record 

URI (for an at large bid) 10 - 6

Nebraska 6 - 9

Q1 wins

URI 2

Nebraska 1

Q1 road games that would be Q1 home games

URI  0 - 2 (rematch against St Bon at home gave 1 Q1 win)

Nebraska 0 - 3 (no rematches at home for other Q1 wins)

I'm not sure I trust any of these rumors.  There's also one going around that someone told Miles they're in. Isn't the committee sequestered?  Not sure how or why anyone would let him know a couple days ahead of time. I get being confident based on discussions that may have happened but I'm not sure someone would just flat out say you're in.

2 minutes ago, tjp21 said:

I'm not sure I trust any of these rumors.  There's also one going around that someone told Miles they're in. Isn't the committee sequestered?  Not sure how or why anyone would let him know a couple days ahead of time. I get being confident based on discussions that may have happened but I'm not sure someone would just flat out say you're in.

Haha no one told him anything. Have you seen how careful Rasmussen has been when even talking about the selection committee in interviews lately? Miles doesn't know squat right now. 

5 hours ago, bobcat402 said:

No matter how this shakes out, Moos and Miles have a big gripe with the Big Ten, no support for Nebraska from the BTN team and really poor support from the conference in terms publicity. It’s insane to me that the 4th place, 13 win BIG TEN team is even sweating a bid, it’s amazing. 

Just a hunch, but I think the B1G is trying to put Moos in his place.  SE was a Delaney yes man.  Moos isn't.  Jim Delaney reminds me of Texas....

1 minute ago, TomEadesSucks said:

Are they including the healthy Minnesota team in the calculations? Or St. John's? Or UCF?

Well none of them are tournament teams. I'm sure the Minnesota win will be discussed, but even if they deem it a win against a "tournament" team, we still only have two. And both were at home.

I don't like that.

Isn't this kind of a reversal of his earlier interviews? Could have sworn he said before that strength of schedule wasn't as important as intent of schedule, and was kind of arbitrary. Not that things didn't change, or maybe that was his own system vs what the committee as a whole wound up doing, but that seems opposite of what I thought he had said earlier, unless I just made all that up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Isn't this kind of a reversal of his earlier interviews? Could have sworn he said before that strength of schedule wasn't as important as intent of schedule, and was kind of arbitrary. Not that things didn't change, or maybe that was his own system vs what the committee as a whole wound up doing, but that seems opposite of what I thought he had said earlier, unless I just made all that up.

For all we know, Rasmussen was exhausted so when a reporter asked him a question on his way to his car, he gave a brief answer that doesn't encapsulate the whole truth.

6 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

No I thought the exact same thing when I read that.

1 minute ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

For all we know, Rasmussen was exhausted so when a reporter asked him a question on his way to his car, he gave a brief answer that doesn't encapsulate the whole truth.

He said it to Andy Katz on one of those NCAA March Madness 5 minute interviews they've been doing on twitter. So it's not like he wasn't thinking about his answers.